10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Fair enough, but my response would be similar.  if you are successful as a footballer, you will get the rewards for that in your salary and any sponsorship money is extra, so at an early stage of someone's career, they should be concentrating totally - and I mean totally  - on the football. I know that begs the question what do you do if you're a young footballer and someone comes along and offers you all sorts of things that will give you publicity/sponsorship/boots and the attached money, but then there is that question again - how much extra stuff has to happen before it gets in the way of your football. Too much distraction and you risk losing focus - and young footballers can lose their way all too easily unless they are carefully mentored. 

Agents can be either an asset or a hindrance in that case - a good agent will look after a player in every sense - a not so good one will just have eyes on money. The pitfalls are many and as I have said several times, to his credit, Todd has responded to his critics well so far this season. Long may that continue and I hope he has a decent agent and does not go down the thick playboy route that some others of a similar age have done...cough.....Grealish.  Todd is better than that.

Yep, again, lots to agree with there, Lakey 👍. Though I would make the point that football is a very uncertain career, and in terms of longevity it could, god forbid, all be over tomorrow - unusual, but it does happen as I know you’ll of course be aware.

For that very reason he must maximise his income whilst he can. I see no reason why him promoting the Puma brand via his Instagram etc should affect his performances on the pitch, which I think is the crux of what you’re saying. He’s really got to make the money whilst he can, as it could all be gone tomorrow. Unfortunately, for that very reason, I simply don’t think it’s viable for him to just say ‘oh, I’ll start taking the mega bucks sponsorships when I’m 27, and rely on club wages for the next few years’, because there are no assurances that will be an option at that point. 

He is a talented young player who will undoubtedly (for me at least) mature into a very very decent player indeed. And that should naturally evolve irrespective of promoting a sports brand on his social media. Lots of players manage the same scenario, so I see no reason at all why he can’t - in fact the incentive is there for him to be the very best player he can be on the pitch as this will surely only get him the better sponsorship deals, and therefore, income. 

Cantwell is a very hard-working caterpillar that you hope is about to break out into the beautifully winged butterfly that is Emi Buendia. 

8 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

He certainly has but there was also a Kenny McLean Appreciation Society thread just a few days ago. Maybe you'd like to start one for Todd? Just for balance you understand.

Why would I want to do that? I’ve been quite balanced in my views. I’d like Cantwell to succeed ultimately and he’s got quite a way to go to be regarded a decent PL player. 

Just thought I’d add the two most recent posts on Todd’s website Instagram story. Lakey, hopefully I include enough of one of your posts for you to feel I’m not selectively quoting you here:

Social media has in it the best and the worst about life - it is a reflection of people of all sorts. The problem is it is instantly accessible to both good and bad and often it seems the bad becomes the prevalent too easily - you only have to look on you tube comments to see the amount of abuse and ugliness there in responses to all sorts of things. I would say to any younger person - get your priorities right, get your heads out of your phones and look outwards, not inwards. Social media presents largely false imagery and polarised arguments and attitudes - and footballers (as this is what this forum is about) should focus more on their profession than their image. Imo of course! 🙂

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just thought I’d add the two most recent posts on Todd’s website Instagram story.

C556246E-1689-4F02-81F7-3FC4AE372FE1.png

D84705D4-29E6-488E-9185-FEBBDAF110B2.png

As I said, on social media you have the best and the worst, so good to see the better side of it from him.  Using social media for the power of good is to be commended. 

👍  May the force be with him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Just thought I’d add the two most recent posts on Todd’s website Instagram story. Lakey, hopefully I include enough of one of your posts for you to feel I’m not selectively quoting you here:

Social media has in it the best and the worst about life - it is a reflection of people of all sorts. The problem is it is instantly accessible to both good and bad and often it seems the bad becomes the prevalent too easily - you only have to look on you tube comments to see the amount of abuse and ugliness there in responses to all sorts of things. I would say to any younger person - get your priorities right, get your heads out of your phones and look outwards, not inwards. Social media presents largely false imagery and polarised arguments and attitudes - and footballers (as this is what this forum is about) should focus more on their profession than their image. Imo of course! 🙂

C556246E-1689-4F02-81F7-3FC4AE372FE1.png

D84705D4-29E6-488E-9185-FEBBDAF110B2.png

I’ve noticed Toddy share stuff about Sir David Attenborough and wildlife conservation before, and as someone who is passionate about wildlife and the natural world, I love to see that he clearly cares too. Good lad 👏👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I’ve noticed Toddy share stuff about Sir David Attenborough and wildlife conservation before, and as someone who is passionate about wildlife and the natural world, I love to see that he clearly cares too. Good lad 👏👍

He recent went vegetarian too, if I'm not mistaken.

Obviously just a cynical marketing ploy to feed his massive ego... or maybe he's just a young man growing up very fast in the public eye, in the middle of a pandemic, trying to make sense of it all and use his profile to do a bit for the common good too?

He's one of our own, and I bloody love him. Sure, the TikTok dances and stuff are a bit cringey to my eyes and ears, but I don't think I'm his target audience for that stuff! I think it's awesome that we've got a young Norfolk lad in our team who's making waves at national level and is a bit of a poster boy. Sadly, I don't think he'll sign a new contract here and will likely command a little less of a fee than he should due to his contract expiring in summer 2022.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Was on fire today. Great pace and energy. Coolly taken goal. Definitely MOM.

On 12/01/2021 at 13:45, Graham Paddons Beard said:

We all have to accept that professional football people rate Todd. It’s a simple as that. 

If you watch him he has attributes that set him out from many others . In the Prem he got noticed . 

He sets up to receive the ball and he passes to his teammates. He can glide with the ball and does defend . 

Professional coaches see that he was still able to do all of these things in a struggling premier league side . 

We are better with him than without him. 

Hello . I didn’t think we had said enough about Cantwell this evening - so thought I’d say this. Again. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Hello . I didn’t think we had said enough about Cantwell this evening - so thought I’d say this. Again. 

It’s a shame you have to, GPB.

I swear the 8th modern wonder of the world is Norwich fans who think Todd’s an average player. There is no way Todd Cantwell is anything less than the very best attacking player to come through our academy since Craig Bellamy 25 years ago. And like Craig, he will only get better and better. These could be our last 20 or so games left with Todd so enjoy them while you can!

• Like 6

He's now scored or assisted in 4 out of the last 7 goals Norwich have scored.

The caterpillar to butterfly concept is amusing but not particularly accurate. Buendia isn't yet a butterfly either. Perhaps a year further down the stages to get there.