3 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Poor old Todd! A torrent of inexpert analysis of his every contribution. If it happened to me at work when I go back to work on Monday morning I wouldn't last until lunchtime 🙂

We’re all allowed an opinion. You won’t get sacked for having one at work I wouldn’t have thought unless you go around trying to close everyone down who you disagree with. 

2 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

We’re all allowed an opinion. You won’t get sacked for having one at work I wouldn’t have thought unless you go around trying to close everyone down who you disagree with. 

You could get sacked for being so incredibly blinkered and wrong about something though...

27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My problem with Todd is that he is a great little player but seems to have taken a leaf out of Grealish’s book and look for the foul even when it’s not there. 

I thought he played well and it was a great assist but he does tend to overdo this. He dived at one point when no one was near him and he lost control of the ball, was so blatant I thought he may get booked.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 13:21, Jersey Canary said:

Bring back Onel. Far more effective. 

Lets be honest here... its heading towards the stage where Onel has to just be considered injury prone now unfortunately.

Really hope he can get fit, find his rhythm, stay fit and make a significant impact... but it takes time to go from 'fit to start' to 'playing at his best', and you wouldn't exactly bet against him just getting injured again would you?

I've got a feeling that he's one more injury away from the writing being on the wall and the club going in a different direction. 

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lets be honest here... its heading towards the stage where Onel has to just be considered injury prone now unfortunately.

Really hope he can get fit, find his rhythm, stay fit and make a significant impact... but it takes time to go from 'fit to start' to 'playing at his best', and you wouldn't exactly bet against him just getting injured again would you?

I've got a feeling that he's one more injury away from the writing being on the wall and the club going in a different direction. 

Thank God you’re not the management team as i’m quite the opposite. Yes he’s had his fair share of injuries but is a key player for us and for the last half of the season will be the difference to get us over the line for promotion. 

Louis Thompson is a prime example of injury prone yet still on our books. Byram and Jarvis in the mix there too

Well he is gradually answering my criticisms of him in terms of what he does on the pitch. Not there yet, but definite signs of him being more effective.  He could still go either way imo - either get better and better and cut out the daft falling over to get free kicks and just focus on playing rather than play acting - or he could still get stuck in a mindset that is more about image than the football - ie running around alot trying to look good, falling over a lot but otherwise not really affecting games. So far though, he is still improving and I'm looking forward to seeing that continue.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Problem with Onel is he looks to be quite musclebound say c.f  Todd.  Those sort of players do tend to suffer more from strains etc.  He might be better advised to lose some muscle.

I remember at school John Fashanu was told to cut out the muscular fitness work, and indeed to stop playing for a few months, to allow his body to adapt. We all thought it was bonkers at the time but in hindsight it was a very good call.   Onel, like Traore at Wolves, always look as if they are about to pull a hammy.

2 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Thank God you’re not the management team as i’m quite the opposite. Yes he’s had his fair share of injuries but is a key player for us and for the last half of the season will be the difference to get us over the line for promotion. 

Louis Thompson is a prime example of injury prone yet still on our books. Byram and Jarvis in the mix there too

Well I'm glad you aren't on the management team if you think we still employ Matt Jarvis who left 18 months ago! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Well he is gradually answering my criticisms of him in terms of what he does on the pitch. Not there yet, but definite signs of him being more effective.  He could still go either way imo - either get better and better and cut out the daft falling over to get free kicks and just focus on playing rather than play acting - or he could still get stuck in a mindset that is more about image than the football - ie running around alot trying to look good, falling over a lot but otherwise not really affecting games. So far though, he is still improving and I'm looking forward to seeing that continue.

I think thats about right. Sublime pass for the opener. Five minutes later all the time in the world and half the pitch and he runs straight into an opponent. I think its down to making the right choice at the right time. He hasn't figured that out yet.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 13:59, hogesar said:

You could get sacked for being so incredibly blinkered and wrong about something though...

In your opinion. 

Cantwell has potential, is far better than he was 18 months ago but he still leaves me underwhelmed (at the moment). 

For the occasional great piece of play there is far too much careless play and play acting. It’s a team game and in a lot of cases he would be better to release the ball earlier to someone else rather than keep trying to over do it by trying to dribble or flick a ball past one too many players. I’m sure the dribble and the flicks will work on the odd occasion and will look world beating on a Todd Cantwell highlights reel.   But the highlights reel won’t show the regular loss of possession and needless pressure put on our defence as a result.

I’m sure he’ll learn when to dribble when to lay off, when to break quickly and when to put his foot on the ball. When he does he’ll be 10x the player he is now. 

21 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Cantwell has potential, is far better than he was 18 months ago but he still leaves me underwhelmed (at the moment). 

For the occasional great piece of play there is far too much careless play and play acting. It’s a team game and in a lot of cases he would be better to release the ball earlier to someone else rather than keep trying to over do it by trying to dribble or flick a ball past one too many players. I’m sure the dribble and the flicks will work on the odd occasion and will look world beating on a Todd Cantwell highlights reel.   But the highlights reel won’t show the regular loss of possession and needless pressure put on our defence as a result.

I’m sure he’ll learn when to dribble when to lay off, when to break quickly and when to put his foot on the ball. When he does he’ll be 10x the player he is now. 

Cantwell is a very tidy player but along with the owners and Kenny is exempt to any criticism from some on here. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cantwell is a very tidy player but along with the owners and Kenny is exempt to any criticism from some on here. 

Weird that you make things up all the time.

Kenny didn't start that well this season and has weaknesses but the fact those that berate him haven't been able to acknowledge his good performances speak volumes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

In your opinion. 

In the opinion of general world football, champions league football scouts, pundits, our head coach and coaching team, and Premier league football fans who want him to sign for them.

Not just mine, oddly.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

In the opinion of general world football, champions league football scouts, pundits, our head coach and coaching team, and Premier league football fans who want him to sign for them.

Not just mine, oddly.

And if I may add

This season games played in = 13   Wins = 9    Draws = 3    Losses = 1

This Season Games not played in = 12    Wins = 6       Draws = 2     Losses = 4

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Weird that you make things up all the time.

Kenny didn't start that well this season and has weaknesses but the fact those that berate him haven't been able to acknowledge his good performances speak volumes.

I do believe even when Kenny was pretty poor to say the least you above anyone else would always defend him. Lots of people have acknowledged his recent performances but you’re still so sensitive on the matter full stop. 

52 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I do believe even when Kenny was pretty poor to say the least you above anyone else would always defend him. Lots of people have acknowledged his recent performances but you’re still so sensitive on the matter full stop. 

Not the people im referring too.

I.e the main one's I argued with about him previously, where I was told he wasn't good enough for the championship.

Always worth getting your facts in order first, of course.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Not the people im referring too.

I.e the main one's I argued with about him previously, where I was told he wasn't good enough for the championship.

Always worth getting your facts in order first, of course.

Kenny has come back very focused and playing well, being dropped has definitely rejuvenated him as a player. Long may this continue but he needed the break after so many very average at best performances. 

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

Not just mine, oddly.

If that's the case then Liverpool or Man City would have broke the bank to sign him.  He may well get there if he tweaks his game but on current viewing and in my opinion he flatters to deceive and that may well be why no PL team has taken a gamble on him.

17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think thats about right. Sublime pass for the opener. Five minutes later all the time in the world and half the pitch and he runs straight into an opponent. I think its down to making the right choice at the right time. He hasn't figured that out yet.

I agree with this and his decision making sometimes and lack of finishing off good chances regularly are what will stop him from making that next step.

It was only a couple of games ago where he could have had a hatrick with the amount of good chances he had and top teams would expect their players to be more clinical in those situations.

Also think he lacks pace and strength.

On a positive note I do think that with some tweaks there is one hell of a player in there and one we have seen glimpses of.

Worth remembering how poor Emi was in front of goal in the Premier League and how much better and clinical Todd was.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

The amusing thing about this is that the same could be said of Buendia for much of the last two seasons. Even the start of this season.

It was always said by the likes of Farke that if either could become consistent then they would be playing at a much higher level. He wasn't wrong. Over the last month or so Buendia has stopped throwing tantrums, the hands in the air, the sitting on his **** thumping the floor because he took three players on and lost and wanted a free kick. As a result he is more involved in the entirety of the game. He is scoring and assisting regularly and his work rate is much, much better.

It's no surprise that that seems to have coincided with interest from premier league teams.

Cantwell really is no worse. In fact, I would argue that he is less selfish with the ball than Buendia can be guilty of, which does sometimes mean he can be too willing to pass the ball early, or to hold up play looking for a pass rather than driving on a bit more himself.

Also worth noting that Cantwell is a year and a bit younger than Buendia, so he has time and consistency comes with age.

"lacks pace and strength" - heard this a bit, never seen it. If you watch him in games the frequency he gets knocked about and doubled up on he takes a lot of stick from the opposition. He's certainly no slouch either, but like Buendia, they don't often attack in a way that uses their pace. Neither of them are Aarons/Placheta/Hernandez fast. But Cantwell did out pace a defence.

As for two games ago, I wouldn't say he had a hat trick of guilt edged chances at all. Perhaps a few players in the top 6 premier league sides might take those on a good day...

2 hours ago, chicken said:

The amusing thing about this is that the same could be said of Buendia for much of the last two seasons. Even the start of this season.

It was always said by the likes of Farke that if either could become consistent then they would be playing at a much higher level. He wasn't wrong. Over the last month or so Buendia has stopped throwing tantrums, the hands in the air, the sitting on his **** thumping the floor because he took three players on and lost and wanted a free kick. As a result he is more involved in the entirety of the game. He is scoring and assisting regularly and his work rate is much, much better.

It's no surprise that that seems to have coincided with interest from premier league teams.

Cantwell really is no worse. In fact, I would argue that he is less selfish with the ball than Buendia can be guilty of, which does sometimes mean he can be too willing to pass the ball early, or to hold up play looking for a pass rather than driving on a bit more himself.

Also worth noting that Cantwell is a year and a bit younger than Buendia, so he has time and consistency comes with age.

"lacks pace and strength" - heard this a bit, never seen it. If you watch him in games the frequency he gets knocked about and doubled up on he takes a lot of stick from the opposition. He's certainly no slouch either, but like Buendia, they don't often attack in a way that uses their pace. Neither of them are Aarons/Placheta/Hernandez fast. But Cantwell did out pace a defence.

As for two games ago, I wouldn't say he had a hat trick of guilt edged chances at all. Perhaps a few players in the top 6 premier league sides might take those on a good day...

Buendia is head and shoulders above Cantwell and has been since day one when he walked into Carrow Road.  Buendia, I think he’d thrive more in a better side due to his attributes whereas Cantwell would be lucky to start for any PL team.  Hence why Cantwell was talked about for £15-20m and we’re talking about Buendia for £40m. 

• Thanks 1

Don’t get me wrong Cantwell may well flourish under Farke’s tutorship over the next couple of years but he miles away from being a PL starter at present hence the lack of interest. 

2 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Don’t get me wrong Cantwell may well flourish under Farke’s tutorship over the next couple of years but he miles away from being a PL starter at present hence the lack of interest. 

There wasn't any confirmed interest in either over the summer. Cantwell hasn't been valued at £15-20m and "we're" doesn't mean £40m is even accurate. It's a rumour that has been dismissed by the club already. No offers tabled for Buendia, just a rumour that they inquired and we said "not for sale" that's it.

I've not even said which is a better player or which is worth more in transfer fees.

Just that the criticisms often levelled at Cantwell are not unique to him and people tend to forget even what the manager has said. Buendia's petulance has seen him sent off. And especially last season, it cost us games and points. I've merely pointed out that him cutting this out is what has seemingly drawn more interest to him this season from teams looking for players.

The "thrive in a better team" argument can be applied to anyone. Pukki would score more goals in a better team, especially last season in the premier league. Krul would keep more clean sheets in a better team.

In the prem, if you are a good enough side you have more than two or three players for the opposition to try and focus on, it buys you more space and time.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Worth remembering how poor Emi was in front of goal in the Premier League and how much better and clinical Todd was.

As good as Todd can be that’s like comparing Lambrusco to Champagne. 

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Now do assists and chances created.

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Chances created is a pointless stat. It just means you passed to someone who shot. That's it. It doesn't actually mean you created a chance, it means you passed it to someone who shot. It lacks the context of whether it was a clever turn from the player that set up the shooting chance or whether it was a Tettey style try your luck from 40 yards.

But when all is said and done, goals count. Remember how many years Hoolahan was creating assists and being ahead of the table in that regard early on in seasons including when in the premier league? Only club ever to come in for him was Villa due to Lambert. The main reason was lack of goals.

Don't you think it odd that he assisted well in the Championship last time - no offers. Assisted a good number of the few premier league goals we scored and yet no firm interest last season and links were to Villa and Leeds etc, hardly inspiring. Yet this season there are two differences, he has scored more goals and more recently, has cut out the histrionics. Now Arsenal are said to be very keen on him. That's just a coincidence? 

Constantly under the microscope, the perverse curse of being a local lad, and does his talking on the pitch 😉

Enjoy him while he is here, a rare talent.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Emi will be in front, because he's a better player.

I just thought it interesting that the person criticising Cantwell thought he isn't good enough to play at the top level because of his quality in front of goal. That aspect is better than Emis at the top level.

• Like 1