Cantwell frustrates the life out of me. It seems like when we’re attacking he’s constantly wanting to either put his foot on the ball slowing the attack or try and dribble past 3 people. When teams as parking the bus we need quick and incisive not slow and predictable. 

Edited by Jersey Canary

Hey, who said you could do the “thread that gets posted while the game is going on” thread. You do it all the time, I wanted to do it!

38 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Hey, who said you could do the “thread that gets posted while the game is going on” thread. You do it all the time, I wanted to do it!

Waaaa why aren't I Jersey Canary!? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pritch said:

QPR not impressed 😄

Utterly classless and pathetic for an official club Twitter account. I suppose that it was a nailed on penalty for them according to their account. 

"Linesman takes pity on our club-footed defence and disallows a goal that was too high quality to exist in the Championship"

#goodcall

• Haha 2

Todd was good last night and won the penalty and scored a perfectly fine goal. 

If you are going to moan about slowing the game down I suggest we look at Grant and Christoff. Both defend well but are incapable of picking out strikers and putting the ball over the top. Instead they go sideways and backwards. Even the excellent Max is often ignoring the space in front of him, and goes back. 

I agree We need more pace going forward but I would never criticise Todd. He uses his pace well opening up defences. 

10 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Utterly classless and pathetic for an official club Twitter account. I suppose that it was a nailed on penalty for them according to their account. 

image.png.13883f49c3374658ac2836a30430050d.png

image.png.fc827a9334402cefc58b5bde4620b329.png

1 hour ago, Harry53 said:

Todd was good last night and won the penalty and scored a perfectly fine goal. 

If you are going to moan about slowing the game down I suggest we look at Grant and Christoff. Both defend well but are incapable of picking out strikers and putting the ball over the top. Instead they go sideways and backwards. Even the excellent Max is often ignoring the space in front of him, and goes back. 

I agree We need more pace going forward but I would never criticise Todd. He uses his pace well opening up defences. 

His second half was far better than the first half but by the time he’s doing what’s expected half the game is gone. 

I agree with your comment about Hanley and Zimbo. I can see Gibson coming back for the next game.

12 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Clever play by Cantwell - he played for the pen but it was totally legit

All football fans and media share this opinion, but I just can't get my head around it. 'How can you play for the foul', 'buy a foul' or 'look for contact' and it be legitimate? I know it's a business and the ends justifies the means but I hate the comments that it was good play, it wasn't, it was cheating. Why do we glorify cheating and cheaters?

"There was contact" is another. Contact is OK, it's a contact sport. What's not OK is fouling, contact does not equate to a foul.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Well b back said:

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He did throw himself to the ground though. 

Edited by Alex

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

All football fans and media share this opinion, but I just can't get my head around it. 'How can you play for the foul', 'buy a foul' or 'look for contact' and it be legitimate? I know it's a business and the ends justifies the means but I hate the comments that it was good play, it wasn't, it was cheating. Why do we glorify cheating and cheaters?

"There was contact" is another. Contact is OK, it's a contact sport. What's not OK is fouling, contact does not equate to a foul.

It is good play because it commits the defender to make a difficult challenge in a dangerous area. Contact was made, it wasn't a dive. The defender didn't have to make the challenge and should have been booked. That isn't cheating. 

In contrast, their player dived under minimal contact and Zimmerman was booked. Diving is cheating but fouling ia aggressive cheating. 

Cantwell was fouled twice in the build up and you call him a cheat. If so, with the ridiculous standard of the ref, that's the only way we are going to achieve what we deserve. 

On 30/12/2020 at 10:58, All the Germans said:

Sadly it seems to be part of the game. Not 100% sure Todd got caught but also Christoff didn't impede their striker. He was just being friendly with a hand on his shoulder. Lol. So of course the striker goes down. 

It's sometimes a practice of win at all cost. Do whatever you can to win attitude. I am not saying City cheat but they play to the same rules and practices as most clubs. 

9 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Sadly it seems to be part of the game. Not 100% sure Todd got caught but also Christoff didn't impede their striker. He was just being friendly with a hand on his shoulder. Lol. So of course the striker goes down. 

It's sometimes a practice of win at all cost. Do whatever you can to win attitude. I am not saying City cheat but they play to the same rules and practices as most clubs. 

I seen to recall that 15 years or so ago people were bemoaning City for being too nice - one of the reasons we crashed out of the league under Worthington.

RE: Osayi-Samuels penalty, seems to me that he essentially waits for CZ to engage in a physical contest then (rather than an outright dive) just allows himself to lose. Zimmermann reacts quite angrily which I would say backs this up- however at this point BOS has given himself a 50-50 chance of being given a penalty, the ref will either buy it or he won't.

This is a phenomenon I'm calling the 'Grealishism' which is becoming more rife in the game now- he's a good player but his real talent is instinctively knowing how to position his body and the ball so that you can't get to it without touching him, and if you do so he'll be hitting the deck- your choices are to let him play or give away a foul. In the forensic age of VAR football, it matters less and less the context of the situation and the literal letter of the law is going to be followed the majority of the time- and if there's physical contact and the player is impeded, that letter says it's a foul.

On 29/12/2020 at 20:29, Jersey Canary said:

Cantwell frustrates the life out of me. It seems like when we’re attacking he’s constantly wanting to either put his foot on the ball slowing the attack or try and dribble past 3 people. When teams as parking the bus we need quick and incisive not slow and predictable. 

So I trust that Cantwell's perfectly weighted first time pass to split the Coventry defence and set up McLean's goal meets with your approval?

He looks like the real deal so far today.  Let’s hope he learns to play like this against the very best sides.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

He looks like the real deal so far today.  Let’s hope he learns to play like this against the very best sides.

I’m not sure what game you’re watching. He dribbles past one player and then runs into another and then falls over. He spends the rest of that move running around like a headless chicken trying to regain the ball.  

Apart from one shot and a nice turn in front of the dugouts I don’t see what value he has added. Bring back Onel. Far more effective. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m not sure what game you’re watching. He dribbles past one player and then runs into another and then falls over. He spends the rest of that move running around like a headless chicken trying to regain the ball.  

Apart from one shot and a nice turn in front of the dugouts I don’t see what value he has added. Bring back Onel. Far more effective. 

You're beginning to make yourself look daft - it was his perfectly weighted, cute first time pass that set up our first goal. I asked you about it in my post bumping this thread back up and you've just ignored it. 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

To be fair he did a nice cross field ball. 

My problem with Todd is that he is a great little player but seems to have taken a leaf out of Grealish’s book and look for the foul even when it’s not there. 

Just looks like he’s trying far too hard for me at the moment. Just keep it simple.

Edited by Clint
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

He went off the boil after he got that knock, I thought when we were on top he was controlling the game.

Poor old Todd! A torrent of inexpert analysis of his every contribution. If it happened to me at work when I go back to work on Monday morning I wouldn't last until lunchtime 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

33 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

He assisted McLeans goal