Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

The Sam (never been relegated) effect didn't last long then

The tactics he used to survive are now commonplace in the PL. Crystal Palace, Wolves, Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Burnley, Spurs and Man Utd all play the Allardcye way and every other top flight team except Leeds, City and Liverpool borrow elements of it when they lose the ball, it's not a unique survival tactic anymore, better teams all play his brand of tactics and because West Brom  have inferior players there is pretty much no chance they'll survive this year.

10 years ago nobody played that way. His success was build from sticking 10 men behind the ball when you lose it, one quality set piece taker, filling the team with pace and tactical weapons and ingenuity from set pieces, that was considered ultra negative and dinosaur football 10 years ago, now it's become fashionable because survival is now everything and most teams have no ambition beyond survival. West Brown can try and play this way but they don't have as good players as the other half of the league who plays the Allardyce way so they won't survive. They'll get relegated this year and this will be Big Sam's last job. 

Tl;DR

The PL is now awful to watch because almost all teams play the Allardyce way and because he has poorer players he will get relegated this year

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

On 29/12/2020 at 19:33, Making Plans said:

Currently 5-0 down at home to Leeds

only 0-4 down at home this time

could Big Scam be improving things after all 🤣

• Haha 1

On 29/12/2020 at 19:36, Samwam27 said:

Bet Bilic is sitting at home having a good laugh!

Bilic (in broad Yorkshire tones[dramatic pause] “That went well”

Edited by GenerationA47
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazed he was allowed to come back into PL management after his dodgy dealings a few years ago. His mere presence questions the integrity of the game.

• Like 2

Whilst I agree with the sentiments around his brand of football, I'm not too sure what he's meant to have done within about 2 weeks of arriving. More fair to judge his impact once we are in to February and he's had a transfer window. 

36 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Amazed he was allowed to come back into PL management after his dodgy dealings a few years ago. His mere presence questions the integrity of the game.

I think your list of things that question the integrity of the game is missing a few entries. ☹️

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think your list of things that question the integrity of the game is missing a few entries. ☹️

Sorry Nuff, you are correct, I massively overlooked Marcus Evans

13 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiments around his brand of football, I'm not too sure what he's meant to have done within about 2 weeks of arriving. More fair to judge his impact once we are in to February and he's had a transfer window. 

Are there many examples of a team in the bottom 3 at the start of January buying their way out of relegation? I would say that it is becoming an increasingly unattractive course of action, given the prospect of being in the Championship with expensive recent signings and the struggle to offload high wage players.

Given the compressed season this year I would imagine that there will be fewer loan options available too.

• Like 1

Still haven't forgiven him for invigorating Sunderland and dooming us to relegation.  3-0 defeat at home was final nail. 

30 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Are there many examples of a team in the bottom 3 at the start of January buying their way out of relegation? I would say that it is becoming an increasingly unattractive course of action, given the prospect of being in the Championship with expensive recent signings and the struggle to offload high wage players.

Given the compressed season this year I would imagine that there will be fewer loan options available too.

He may well not be able to pull this particular iron out of the fire. Just saying it's a bit harsh to judge him based upon his first few games in charge. 

People seemed happy enough to mention the ‘Sam effect’ when they drew at Anfield, but it doesn’t appear to stretch to home games with an aggregate of 0-12 over their last three games (v Villa, Leeds and Arsenal) though they did lose the home game prior to that  5-1 to Palace, so perhaps that’s ‘par’?!  They definitely don’t appear to be happy at home!!

Edited by Branston Pickle

Adrian Chiles' face will resemble even more a slapped backside, if that's actually possible.

21 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

He may well not be able to pull this particular iron out of the fire. Just saying it's a bit harsh to judge him based upon his first few games in charge. 

He declared in  MOTD  interview  last night that he was going  to play more defensively from now on. They will be a scintillating watch. 😇

Edited by wcorkcanary

I had a round of golf with a Baggie this morning and he says the word is there is a clash between Sham and the players. Apparently he has told them the reserves are playing in the Cup and if they do well, they are staying put.

On 03/01/2021 at 14:42, Fuzzar said:

Adrian Chiles' face will resemble even more a slapped backside, if that's actually possible.

Thanks Fuzzar! That's totally destroyed any possibility of me developing a spanking fetish.

26 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Thanks Fuzzar! That's totally destroyed any possibility of me developing a spanking fetish.

I had a spanking fetish but it’s now been ruined😉

Big Sam has only had a couple of games in charge and he's not made any of his own signings.

That being said he's really up against it. He has some good young players in the squad but he desperately needs a functioning striker. 

The baggies right now look a cert for relegation.

Big Sam might be able to fix some of their not insignificant defensive frailties but he also needs to win some games to to stay up.

So far their attacking options have been about as much use as **** (breasts) on a goldfish.

With Karlan Grant, Hal Robson Kanu, Charlie Austin and Callum Robinson all performing below par, big Sam desperately needs to sign someone at the level of an Arnautovic or similar someone who in theory could get him 10-12 goals over the remaining season (a massive ask).

But even if Big Sam signs Superman to play up front he is still deeply in the do-do.  

Despite spending £40m on players they still look to be 5 or 6 players short of even an average Premiership squad. 

Edited by Bonzo

Is Big Sam the sort of guy to bail on the club before relegation is confirmed to uphold his record of never being relegated? Of course he is.

I can't see him sticking about if they continue to struggle like they are. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well that went well today. 😂

It was Blackpool. You can’t expect a Premier League team to travel that far and come back with a result v’s a team that looks like Holland. Big Sam is a great manager but even he has some limits to what can be achieved. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Excellent win for West Brom at Wolves today. Perhaps Big Sam is starting to weave his magic. 😉 

Lost me some money 😔 nonetheless great result for them

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Excellent win for West Brom at Wolves today. Perhaps Big Sam is starting to weave his magic. 😉 

To balance that Wolves have now failed to win in their last six games.

I wouldn't be unhappy if WBA stayed up (at the expense of Leeds). All being well next season we'll be looking for 3 teams worse than us, and they might be one of them.

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not for me to suggest a “ bung “ for the ref today, but those were two of the softest penalties we’ve seen in the PL this season.