lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v QPR*****

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I’m fairly sure that the initial offside for Cantwell is irrelevant. Jordan Hugill scored an extremely similar goal which was shared recently for QPR

You might be right. Lino seemed to be giving it for the finish but I haven't seen a decent replay.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

So not offside then. 

Yes. Cantwell offside in the build up. It says he is active if he touches the from a team mates pass. Not conclusive but the meaning surely means he gained an advantage by being offside in the first place.

And if we are going to hang our hats on us not win ing the game because of that one incident, then be prepared to be upset many times.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It's been a sh*t Christmas hasn't it?

Always is with NCFC and Christmas, good news is we normally get loads better after the FA Cup 3rd round ( last year apart ).

Tbh I don’t think the angles are good enough to tell for the offside, but it was given so you move on. Pretty feeble to blame that when it was our inability to get enough shots off/on target throughout a game we dominated. And yet again set pieces/corners were utterly ineffective.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Forget the pens.This is a very average championship this season.Anybody under any  illusion that our defence is anything other than the same is deluding themselves.Could easily have lost that game despite dominating for most of it due to rank bad defending.Not for the first time either.Needs to be sorted,as it appears we have problems putting teams away when we should,so the defence needs to be able to see a game out.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. Cantwell offside in the build up. It says he is active if he touches the from a team mates pass. Not conclusive but the meaning surely means he gained an advantage by being offside in the first place.

He was never offside because he wasn't active until the ball was played to him.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

And if we are going to hang our hats on us not win ing the game because of that one incident, then be prepared to be upset many times.

Yes? There was no offside in that goal in accordance with the rules of the game. It should have stood. 

Looks like the post truth world has infected football too. I miss when facts mattered. 

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Thats my take, he never got onside again even though he was behind Pukki for the final pass.

• Confused 1

Lots of similarities to Liverpool vs. WBA. WBA nearly snatched it there too.

OK the level may have been higher but the pattern was the same. Also 'pool didn't have many shots but kept probing - for the same reason we didn't. They invariably get blocked. You may get the very occasional lucky deflection, but the percentages still stack up in favour of playing your way through.

And, fair enough Zimbo shouldn't have put his arm across the QPR player, but their player did exactly the same thing to Teemu earlier without conceding a penalty. Totally inconsistent.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You might be right. Lino seemed to be giving it for the finish but I haven't seen a decent replay.

That lino was flag happy all game, QPR unlucky several times to be flagged off.

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It doesn't matter. The pass was to Pukki. And when Pukki rolled it to Todd he was over a yard behind the ball. 

Of course it doesn't matter. It only matters so we get the full tv football experience. 

What has happened to the team that was looking so assured at seeing games out and so confident on the ball? Yes, we dominated the 2nd half but we were so wasteful; constantly getting into good positions only to choose the wrong option or rushing into a decision when sometimes all we needed to do was take a second to compose ourselves. QPR were not a particularly good side. They got numbers in their own box and made life difficult for us, but 2 games ago we would've dispatched them. I don't understand what has happened to us following Sarr's goal for Watford, since then we've looked all over the place in both games. 

That said, ANOTHER absolute joke of a referee. The standard of officiating in this division seems to only be getting poorer. What on Earth the linesman was thinking putting his flag up as well when Cantwell was clearly level with Pukki is beyond me. 15 seconds before QPR's penalty decision McLean is clearly fouled on the edge of their area. I cannot fathom how a referee has looked at that and decided it's not a free-kick. 

Osayi-Samuel has thrown himself to the floor for the penalty. It's stupidly soft. But Zimmermann is so slow and clumsy that he gives the referee a decision to make. Gibson needs to be back in next game, as does Quintilla. 

Subs were also made far too late. Vrancic looked knackered and wasn't really having any sort of impact on the game, and should've been off after we took the lead. Dowell or Martin coming on then could've been the extra injection of energy we needed to get a second goal. 

Absolutely golden chance to extend our lead at the top and we've thrown it away. As it stands, if Bournemouth win both of their games in hand, they'll go top of the league, and Swansea could cut our gap to 3rd to 2 points. Barnsley up next who have won 6 out of their last 8, and if we play how we did for much of today then that gap is only going to be cut even more. It is only 2 winless games in a row, no need to panic. But we do need to sort this out because we cannot afford to drop many more points.

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

Forget the pens.This is a very average championship this season.Anybody under any  illusion that our defence is anything other than the same is deluding themselves.Could easily have lost that game despite dominating for most of it due to rank bad defending.Not for the first time either.Needs to be sorted,as it appears we have problems putting teams away when we should,so the defence needs to be able to see a game out.

Our best defence of Quintilla, Gibson, Hanley, Aarons will be fine in this division. 

Just need to play them. 

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not according to the rule change. 

If Camtwell was offside then why ws there no flag at the first point ?

How long can that offside be held ?

ie It was a goal

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thats my take, he never got onside again even though he was behind Pukki for the final pass.

Eh?! How many beers did you consume whilst watching?! 

What you've effectively just said is "Cantwell never got onside again until he did". 

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He was never onside apart from when he was onside you mean?

21 minutes ago, hepphep said:

That is as clear penalty by rules as there can be. Zimbo was using his hand to take out pace for long time. Sometimes those are not called by uncertain refs, but it was clear he will call such after giving soft penalty for us a moment before.

Nope you're simply wrong, and as I said regardless there's a clear foul on McLean in the build up. 

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Until we start taking our chances we will see more of this. More hanging on at the end after domination. That means bringing in a striker next month. I'm afraid Hugill looks a farm hand at the moment.

Makes Idah's injury even more frustrating. Hugill coming back from injury himself and it's hard to judge him on yet another cameo appearance. We do lack quality in the final third though and it needs to be addressed in January.

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

We're better with Gibson in for Zimmerman. 

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If he is behind Pukki, which he is, then by definition he got back onside.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

If Camtwell was offside then why ws there no flag at the first point ?

How long can that offside be held ?

ie It was a goal

Because the ball wasnt initially played to him...he became active when it was from Pukki

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Amazing that it needs explaining. 

1 minute ago, Ian said:
4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He was never onside apart from when he was onside you mean?

It's relatively simple, he was in an offside position as Pukki ran through, so he had to get back behind a defender before going again.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Er no, surely to get back onside it has to be behind an opponent. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

It's relatively simple, he was in an offside position as Pukki ran through, so he had to get back behind a defender before going again.

Or back behond the ball/player passing him the ball. As has been explained, if he got back behind Pukki before Pukki passed the ball (and he looked to me as though he waited for Pukki) then he got back onside.

Just now, ricardo said:

Er no, surely to get back onside it has to be behind an opponent. 

or the ball surely?

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

even though he was behind Pukki for the final pass.

You do realise you've literally just described someone being 100% onside? 

This reminds me generally of several (actually many) games early last season. Looked pretty, good in possession but little or no end result.

Too slow and pedantic in attack. Gives the opposition time to get organised and pack the defense and then we seem to want to walk the ball into the net.