lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v QPR*****

Just now, hogesar said:

We weren't toothless. We scored a very good goal which was wrongly ruled out, should have had another pen on Pukki, created several openings on edge of 18 yard box which for the most part Vrancic wasted, had Buendia clean through, Hanley should have probably scored a header.

Not scoring doesn't equal toothless.

How many saves did their keeper have to make of any difficulty? The goal looked well offside and both pens were dubious. It should have been 0-0.

2 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Their penalty was pretty clear foul, silly for Zimmerman to use his hands when we had penalty earlier. But otherwise, truly abysmal ref work today..

I didn’t think he was that bad compared to some - and we only have ourselves to blame  - he certainly can’t help the linesman flagging offside for our ‘first’.

Christ we need Hernandez (or even Placheta) back ...and quick

No goals from open play against an ordinary side like that in 95 mins is slightly worrying

Ever looking for the 'perfect goal'

...that said , their pen was a blatant display of even-ing up...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Zimmerman clearly had his hand on the guy’s shoulder and pulled him back, definite pen

Pulled him back? Are you having a giraffe?  Hardly touched him! You could tell that the player was going to go down at the slightest touch, so Zimbo should have been aware of that, but he did not pull him back.

2 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Their penalty was pretty clear foul, silly for Zimmerman to use his hands when we had penalty earlier. But otherwise, truly abysmal ref work today..

It's never a foul, its just not, but regardless there's a clear foul on McLean in the build up so it should be  bloody irrelevant whether it is or isn't. 

Worst refereeing performance since Simon Hooper. 

Frustrating. Fair bit of tiredness in the squad and felt we should have rotated a bit more here. 

We need to start killing teams off. Yes, the disallowed goal was a big question mark but we didn't really stretch their keeper again.

I think 2nd half was really good display until we scored. Both possession and pace. The penalty we gave out made us overplay in some occasions rushing to balls with too big risk, leaving us vulnerable

We were lucky to get a point in the end.

For all our possession and 'dominating' we lacked quality in the final third and didn't really do enough to win the game. 

Starting to choke a bit, hope the expectation doesn't drag the players down.

Ref was poor but he was equally poor to both sides - the alternative is VAR but we whine about that too.

Still top, but need to strengthen in January as we can't afford to balls this up.

• Like 1

Meh. We did more than enough to be out of sight in that second half. The Cantwell offside which should’ve been a certain goal (correct decision or not), Sorenson shot brilliantly off the line, Pukki 1 on 1 chance, several other moments in behind their defence and with crossing opportunities which wouldn’t fall our way. 

But even then it took the referee missing a CLEAR foul on McLean and then some kamikaze play from both Sorenson and Vrancic to gift them the penalty decision - really disappointing all round.

And ultimately it was that moment which changed the game. 

But did we play any worse than we did against Sheff Weds, Swansea, Brentford, Birmingham etc etc? I don’t think so.

We’ve had lots of good play in the last two games, just no luck to go with it or a moment of magic from someone.

Lets hope it changes soon! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Unable to score in open play. Got what they deserved. Toothless in attack and always concede a goal.

Not good enough.

We did score in open play. Not our fault the officials are incompetent.

Toothless in attack??? No idea what you were watching in the second half

I'm more angry about the way we tossed away two points there than I have been about a performance for a long, long time.

The second half was great until we scored but then we just stopped doing everything good we were doing. i could tell what was going to happen when we had a counterf attack and Todd was on the ball and instead of going for a second gaol he just did some stupid trick then played it back to the halfway line. This team is sh*t defensively and cannot rely on a one goal lead. We all know that. so why when we were so in the ascendancy did we just take our foot completely off the gas and let them back into it.

Zimmerman has been a liability this season and shouldn;t have been playing after his shocking display at Watford.

Shoudl ahve won that by three or four but could have lost it in the end after absolutely destroying them for the majority of the second half. Massive opportunity missed and am massively frustrated.

• Like 1

Playing Vrancic, Cantwell and Buendia in the same team does not mean creative wonder - it makes us quite easy to nullify. Dowell will give us something different when he is fit, but boy are we missing Stiepermann.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We weren't toothless. We scored a very good goal which was wrongly ruled out, should have had another pen on Pukki, created several openings on edge of 18 yard box which for the most part Vrancic wasted, had Buendia clean through, Hanley should have probably scored a header.

Having lots of shots doesn't mean dangerous either.

We scored one goal from a pen and had another disallowed but we didn't really test the keeper in general. Our shooting from range in this game was pretty abysmal.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

Joke of a ref.

But we'll rue starting Zimmermann over Gibson. Hopefully lesson learned. What the **** was he ****ing doing? 

Don't let lakey hear you say that he loves Zimmerman 

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The irony. 

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

How many saves did their keeper have to make of any difficulty? The goal looked well offside and both pens were dubious. It should have been 0-0.

Spot on.23 shots tonight, having to rely on a penalty to score..the amount of games this season where we dominate but dont make it count anywhere near enough, our converstion rate is one of the worst in the league for a reason!

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell looked offside to me for the initial ball played through to Pukki??

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Pulled him back? Are you having a giraffe?  Hardly touched him! You could tell that the player was going to go down at the slightest touch, so Zimbo should have been aware of that, but he did not pull him back.

In the modern game you can’t put your hand on another player like that. Always going to be a foul. We’d all be saying definite pen if it was the other way round. Cantwell was pretty clever in drawing the contact for our pen too, looked like he came across the front of the defender and was already on his way down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Let’s be fair if that was Dowell and Gibson instead of Vrancic and Zimmerman you would be ripping them apart. 
Gibson has to start Saturday.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Your the only one, because you have your head up Zimmerman's ****

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm more angry about the way we tossed away two points there than I have been about a performance for a long, long time.

The second half was great until we scored but then we just stopped doing everything good we were doing. i could tell what was going to happen when we had a counterf attack and Todd was on the ball and instead of going for a second gaol he just did some stupid trick then played it back to the halfway line. This team is sh*t defensively and cannot rely on a one goal lead. We all know that. so why when we were so in the ascendancy did we just take our foot completely off the gas and let them back into it.

Zimmerman has been a liability this season and shouldn;t have been playing after his shocking display at Watford.

Shoudl ahve won that by three or four but could have lost it in the end after absolutely destroying them for the majority of the second half. Massive opportunity missed and am massively frustrated.

Coventry was a contender for giving up points late too

1 minute ago, overthebordercanary said:

Don't let lakey hear you say that he loves Zimmerman 

Just baited him about that in another thread. 

Normally when I call Farke out he proves me wrong, but even @hogesar will have to admit that Gibson not starting tonight was a costly error. 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No, I think you will find Cantwell was behind the ball.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

The second half was great until we scored but then we just stopped doing everything good we were doing. i could tell what was going to happen when we had a counterf attack and Todd was on the ball and instead of going for a second gaol he just did some stupid trick then played it back to the halfway line.

Yes, the game changed for the worse after we scored, it was like ok, we'll shut up shop now, but historically this has not been our forte, better to go for it to the end!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

It's never a foul, its just not, but regardless there's a clear foul on McLean in the build up so it should be  bloody irrelevant whether it is or isn't. 

Worst refereeing performance since Simon Hooper. 

That is as clear penalty by rules as there can be. Zimbo was using his hand to take out pace for long time. Sometimes those are not called by uncertain refs, but it was clear he will call such after giving soft penalty for us a moment before.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Don't think that matters with the new rules. As long as you're onside when the ball is passed, doesn't matter about earlier in the build up. 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But did we play any worse than we did against Sheff Weds, Swansea, Brentford, Birmingham etc etc? I don’t think so.

This is the slight issue for me.

We're a very good side but we're not putting teams to the sword.

We've won two games this season by more than one goal. When you dont put teams away you leave yourself open to nights like tonight.