Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Pulis Sacked

"Other issues" says it all really. The owners presumably did not want to spend their transfer money on five 6 foot 6 defenders to complement their back line

Edited by CanaryChris

Some years ago i was speaking to an ex City player who played under Pulis at Gillingham and he said he is an absolutely horrible individual who behind the scenes nobody had anytime for which might just cover the ' other issues ' mentioned.

Edited by TIL 1010

This undermines the authority of the next manager they get in - players know if they’re unhappy & uncooperative, it’s probable the manager will go, not them. Players who fall out with Farke know they’ll be the ones who end up sidelined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

"Other issues" says it all really. The owners presumably did not want to spend their transfer money on five 6 foot 6 defenders to complement their back line

This is the main crux of the issue of you listen to some people who claim to be in the know-

Money, of which Sheffield Wednesday have none.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Someone will come in for him. There are so many teams who will do the same. His style doesn't particularly work anymore because full backs are essential going forward not just stuck in a back four like he prefers.

2 minutes ago, NCFCInnit said:

So why hire him in the first place? No due diligence on and off the field?

Reputation of being ' hard to beat' still carries  weight among less forward thinking Clubs. Makes me grateful  we are not that way inclined. He has become a stop gap manager, rewarding for him but must be so disappointing for  the fans to see him as an incoming manager. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

53 minutes ago, NCFCInnit said:

So why hire him in the first place? No due diligence on and off the field?

Its just the old merry go round. At least we were different taking on Neill and DF.

Pulis is a dinosaur. The game has moved on around him and he hasn't noticed. Same as Allardyce - looking forward to West Brom's relegation to finally nail that one.

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Some years ago i was speaking to an ex City player who played under Pulis at Gillingham and he said he is an absolutely horrible individual who behind the scenes nobody had anytime for which might just cover the ' other issues ' mentioned.

Strange. When we played Stoke back at the start of the 2011/12 season, Lambert's Premier League season, I got several excited texts off my mate as Tony Pulis and four or five Stoke players turned up at St. Johns Cathedral to attend Mass the morning of the game.

They were all in their Stoke gear and Pulis hung around chatting to plenty of people and the players posed for photos with kids and apparently he was a really nice, polite and courteous bloke. Probably bagged himself some divine intervention as well, as I seem to remember they bagged an injury time equaliser after a dubious red card for Leon Barnett.

Admittedly, how a person behaves around members of the public (particularly ones encountered in a church!) will inevitably be considerably different to how they are around football players under their management.

Edited by canarydan23

Probably also because their fans weren't happy with the appointment to begin with, due to dreading the type of football he'd play, and as we saw against us, I'm not sure a 7-2-1 formation did anything to encourage their watching fans differently.

I Also heard a rumour from a Wednesday fan that Pulis had issues with some of their players (including Rhodes) who are apparently not happy with the way Pulis has behaved towards some of them and that he'd already lost the dressing room! Again, this is just a rumour, absolutely no confirmed source or proof but it would seem to fit the situation that's developed, but it could just as easily be numerous other reasons as well.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Pulis is a dinosaur. The game has moved on around him and he hasn't noticed. Same as Allardyce - looking forward to West Brom's relegation to finally nail that one.

2.0 down at home to Leeds. The lads from Yorkshire might be stopping up after all though. 

25 minutes answering one question!

Pulis' Hillsborough exit explained

At 23:00 GMT on Monday, Wednesday announced they had sacked manager Tony Pulis after just 10 games in charge.

The move came after rumours of simmering tension between Pulis and Chansiri over the direction of the club and recruitment of players during the January window.

Chansiri spent 25 minutes answering one question about his relationship with the Welshman and how he began having doubts over Pulis' ability to deal with his squad a long time before he decided to act.

"I wanted to talk to him but he didn't want to talk to me," he said. "I don't understand why he didn't call me. I tried to text him all the time.

"He didn't know how to manage the team.

"In the end we were talking about him leaving and the statement would say it was mutual consent. But his lawyer sent me something that made him look good and me bad.

"On Monday morning, my lawyer had to go to the hospital, so my people told him we would talk after Tuesday's game. He got mad. He said it had to be now. In the end, I sacked him."

It is understood Pulis is surprised and disappointed at the comments as he believed he would be able to leave Wednesday with a degree of dignity and respect.

When it became clear there was an impasse, it is understood Pulis offered to leave the club under mutually acceptable terms, which would have meant he relinquished his pay-off.

But in the end, the two parties could not agree the detail.