Bill

Jordan Hugill

Take a look at the goals he scored last season, then compare to what he is being asked to do now

Wait until the opposition have packed their penalty box, hope that someone can thread a ball through seven or eight players

He shows the finishing ability of Holt, but will struggle as long as we continue to be more focussed on possession than attacking

To be fair in his entire 9 seasons he’s only managed 57 goals! Could just be he’s not going to be a Holt, big difference Holty work rate was immense!

I’ll wait to see but I doubt he’ll come good, more likely we’ll go up and he’ll be sent out on loan with better in! If we don’t go up, then can see Idah and others pushing ahead! 

If we combined his goal tally from the last 4 seasons in the Champs, he's still scored less in them than Pukki did in ONE season for us.

He was poor at Boro, no great shakes the season before that at Preston, and had a decent season last year, but there's a reason he's had limited game time for us so far, and if his performance continues at current levels, he'll likely manage a big 4 goals for us by the end of the season.

On what I've season so far this year (and in the seasons before), Idah's already ahead of him, but even though I didn't rate the signing, I'm still desperately hoping he comes good, because he does come across as a good guy with the right personality, but it's simply not happening on the pitch and that's more relevant to our season than whether or not a player is likeable or a decent chap...

• Like 1

..........and continue to not happen as long as we are so slow and cautious in attack

Have to say Bill, would rather be slow and cautious in attack, solid at the back and winning more games than blowing teams away when we can and losing as many as we win. I think the league position has backed that up, maybe a change of plan should that position change eh?

I was commenting solely on why Hugill has not been scoring, and what  change would be needed

...not advocating that change 🥰

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I was commenting solely on why Hugill has not been scoring, and what  change would be needed

...not advocating that change 🥰

There’s the issue, was he bought as the mystical plan B. If it’s not working lump it forward?

I do agree our system doesn’t suit Hugill so why buy him? Still has time to find his feet and hopefully contribute to a promotion campaign.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I do agree our system doesn’t suit Hugill so why buy him?

It's called "Chris Hughton Syndrome", a sad condition whereby a club will purchase talented players with good scoring records and then have the manager use them in a system that was never going to fit their style of play.

I assume Webber found an old memo from 2013 in a dusty filing cabinet, describing the entire process and decided to replicate it on a cheaper scale to see if there was anything in it (or maybe just for the banter).

We only have to wait another 7 years to see if this is part of a repeating cycle and can look forward to us signing a lightning fast striker who makes runs behind the defence, only to see them asked to go play as a target man against the new Virgil Van Dijk each week...

He's clearly the plan b but even when we switch we don't change enough to suit him. Rhodes fitted in that he was a poacher who could take a chance in minimal space, Hugill doesn't seem to offer that.

We're currently top though and the 5th highest scorers in the league so there is no great incentive for us to change to suit him better.

Longer term this season i think Idah is second choice.

46 minutes ago, Bill said:

..........and continue to not happen as long as we are so slow and cautious in attack

You mean if we continue to play the way that's got us clear at the top of the league?

He was not, is not and will not be good enough. One OK season last season but the rest have been poor to average. Couldn't trap a bag of cement and I have no idea why we purchased him.

To compare him to Holt -as a footballer - is lazy because he's come from lower league, strong and tries hard. Holt had much better technical ability than he was ever given credit for. Hugill doesn't.

I don’t agree - I think he’s good enough and will show himself to be when given a decent chance (as much by fans as on the pitch!).

Edited by Branston Pickle

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t agree - I think he’s good enough and will show himself to be when given a decent chance (as much by fans as on the pitch!).

You've got to earn that chance though and he isn't doing it right now.

The most notable stat for him so far is he's got the worst pass completion % of the team and it isn't really close. He didn't look good when starting and has offered little to no impact in his last few substitute appearances. He's had less minutes than Idah but hasn't offered anywhere near as much in my opinion and his one goal was a penalty.

I am not sure if he suits us, clearly a nice guy, that works hard, decent technically, but he looks out of place at the moment.  I was expecting our plan B, to include lots of crosses, and then longer balls where the fast players fed on Hugills knock downs.  To do this I would have Onel, Placheta, Pukki, and Xavi in the side.  Hopefully when they are fit we might see more ‘Hugill’ type chances created.

• Like 3

It’d be interesting to see how he would do if Pukki got an injury that kept him out for 3/4 games, not a scenario I’d want obviously but he’s yet to have a run in the team that we can properly judge him on yet.

Has to be said though when he has been on the pitch he hasn’t really shown anything to suggest he’s good enough to challenge Pukki for a starting place. His first touch is often poor, his decision-making is questionable at times (most notably shooting from an impossible angle against Watford on Saturday when the obvious option was an easy pass to Skipp who was in acres of space in a great position a few yards away from him), and for a big guy he doesn’t seem to win many headers or offer much of a goal threat.

A couple of seasons ago when we had Rhodes essentially playing the exact same role, it always felt like whenever he came on the pitch he made a bit of a difference and that we had a bit more threat up front. Ultimately he did contribute to a few of the late goals we scored that season too. Hugill on the other hand has been a passenger in near enough every game he’s played.

I really hope it does come good for him because he seems like a really nice bloke who wants to succeed here, but we’re yet to see anything from him that suggests he’s someone who will be an important player for us. Plenty of time left in this season for him to prove that though. A hat-trick against his former club tomorrow may change my mind 😬

• Like 2

I'm surprised to see so many people writing Jordan Hugill off so quickly after being proved wrong about Michael McGovern being useless. 

Give the guy time. He has just come back from an injury and has essentially been limited to a few sub appearances. Players need 5 - 6 games before they can get match fit, find their rhythm and build an understanding with their team mates. 

His problem is that we only play with one up top and Pukki is rightly first choice striker. As mentioned above by Pukki Blinders, he needs to make an impression in the games that he features in, like Rhodes did, if he is to stake a claim for a starting place over Idah. 

• Like 1

This may be controversial but I don’t quite see why Hugill is being totally written off and at the same time Idah is being treated as the new messiah?

Im not saying Idah doesn’t have youth and pace on his side but I don’t think he’s any closer to being a replacement to Pukki then Hugill. Has he done much more in cameos he had earlier in the season? Scored a tap in (which he nearly missed) and been stupidly sent off.

fact is neither of them are likely to hit Pukki’s heights but both could play a huge part during the season

Omotoye a better option seems an intelligent player with ability, see his hat trick goals as evidence.  Don't have millions to buy Pukki back up keep Tyrese he will do a job.

Presumably he’ll get a start in the cup against pretty average opposition, which will give him a opportunity to showcase his ability.

34 minutes ago, pete said:

Omotoye a better option seems an intelligent player with ability, see his hat trick goals as evidence.  Don't have millions to buy Pukki back up keep Tyrese he will do a job.

I mean we have only Omotoye in action for like 10 minuts and you claiming he's better than Hugil and Idah already?

Pass the blunt

Soto is our real rising star, 6 goals in 9 for Telstar, 2 in 2 for USA. The lads got the potential to storm into this team should we ever get a work permit.

Idah has all the tools but just appears to be short on the football brain to become a top striker, still very young and has time to develop this, bit like Kane. 

Hugill is never a Holt or Iwan, he’s just not that good, yes he’s our player so we want him to succeed, no doubt about it, but like others through the years, have come here and just never fitted our team, this just feels the same.

Its only opinions on a message board, those in charge will make the final decision on when he plays and what chances he gets to show his worth.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

This may be controversial but I don’t quite see why Hugill is being totally written off and at the same time Idah is being treated as the new messiah?

I don't think anyone has been claiming that Idah is that, but simply that on what many have seen on the pitch, alongside his youth, pace and potential, he already looks a better option than Hugill.

This may well change, but at present I'd put Idah ahead of Hugill, and neither are close to Pukki.

27 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

This may well change, but at present I'd put Idah ahead of Hugill, and neither are close to Pukki.

Exactly that.

Hugill wasn't bought to be a regular starter; he was bought to contribute to a different way of changing a game. When he has come on that has generally happened, as he does his part to distract and create space for our more creative players. You cannot judge a striker solely on goals scored.

When we are chasing a game, he gives us a different option. Against Watford he played with Pukki and did his bit to create space - we had more dangerous possession as soon as he and Vrancic came on and Pukki almost got in to score the equaliser. If we had ben playing a team not as good as Watford that may have helped us get something, but Watford were too strong and committed for us.

He doesn't win as many headers as I expected him too, and his first touch so far hasn't been great - but we all know that comes with games.

People writing off players like Hugill and Dowell are the same ones expecting Byram or Mumba to immediately solve our left back position. It takes time to settle and there are 25 games to go. Idah has also become a great player whilst injured hasn't he? Rather than the quite raw, inconsistent 19 year old he is.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Soto is our real rising star, 6 goals in 9 for Telstar, 2 in 2 for USA. The lads got the potential to storm into this team should we ever get a work permit.

Idah has all the tools but just appears to be short on the football brain to become a top striker, still very young and has time to develop this, bit like Kane. 

Hugill is never a Holt or Iwan, he’s just not that good, yes he’s our player so we want him to succeed, no doubt about it, but like others through the years, have come here and just never fitted our team, this just feels the same.

Its only opinions on a message board, those in charge will make the final decision on when he plays and what chances he gets to show his worth.

I don’t see Hugill as being a Norwich player, he needs to play for a team which plays longer balls.

Idah I agree seems to lack a footballing brain of what ai have seen of him. Maybe this will come with age but I fear he’ll never reach his potential. 

Soto is the interesting one. If we can get a work permit how would his goal transpose to EFL.

On 27/12/2020 at 22:05, All the Germans said:

He was not, is not and will not be good enough. One OK season last season but the rest have been poor to average. Couldn't trap a bag of cement and I have no idea why we purchased him.

To compare him to Holt -as a footballer - is lazy because he's come from lower league, strong and tries hard. Holt had much better technical ability than he was ever given credit for. Hugill doesn't.

I agree, Hugill has done nothing to impress and IMO is unlikely to do anything. I'm not sure where other posters optimism comes from. Big mistake get rid and move on