Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Crossing - how do we rate?

Hello to all my “stato” friends - are there any stats on the quality / effectiveness of crossing? I get the feeling - and it is just a feeling - that more often than not our crosses from corners or wing positions are too easily felt with by opposing defences. 

Or we mostly elect not to cross when we could and instead pass it into the middle. Is this deliberate because we are not causing a threat from headers?

Exactly. When we win a corner it feels like a set back because I don’t expect anything to come from it. Would be good to see some stats. 

Crossing is probably the least effective way to score a goal, in fact it's a complete waste of time with the majority of attempts, yet for some reason there's always this clamour to have pacy wingers whipping balls over to a striker who apparently is going to beat two big central defenders repeatedly.

I have no idea where this obsession with crossing came from, but it's ineffective and doesn't in any way, shape or form play to our strengths as a squad.

Wingers either need to be cutting inside to play an incisive pass, or we play more narrow and focus on consistent passing which is FAR more dangerous and difficult to defend against than 99% of crosses.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly cannot remeber the last time we scored for a corner.

Think that says enough

The last goal scored directly from a corner I remember was McLean vs Man City. Before that, god knows. Gibson, Hanley, Zimmermann have 5 goals between them in well over 200 games tells you our CBs aren't much of a goal threat from corners.

22 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Crossing is probably the least effective way to score a goal, in fact it's a complete waste of time with the majority of attempts, yet for some reason there's always this clamour to have pacy wingers whipping balls over to a striker who apparently is going to beat two big central defenders repeatedly.

I have no idea where this obsession with crossing came from, but it's ineffective and doesn't in any way, shape or form play to our strengths as a squad.

Wingers either need to be cutting inside to play an incisive pass, or we play more narrow and focus on consistent passing which is FAR more dangerous and difficult to defend against than 99% of crosses.

I'm calling you out on that @Indy_Bones 

Maybe for us since farke has come in, scoring from crosses hasn't been rewarding, but your above post read like you are saying crossing the ball is not a plentiful way of scoring goals? I think that a ridiculous statement to make! That has to be the most ludicrous thing I have read on this site since when I read about Declan Rudd being the next David de Gea. 

Incase I've misunderstood and you mean just crossing for us isn't giving us many goals, then sorry!

21 hours ago, overthebordercanary said:

and we cant defend crosses either

That's not what the stats indicate this season. 

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

I'm calling you out on that @Indy_Bones 

Maybe for us since farke has come in, scoring from crosses hasn't been rewarding, but your above post read like you are saying crossing the ball is not a plentiful way of scoring goals? I think that a ridiculous statement to make! That has to be the most ludicrous thing I have read on this site since when I read about Declan Rudd being the next David de Gea. 

Incase I've misunderstood and you mean just crossing for us isn't giving us many goals, then sorry!

There's plenty of supporting evidence for my viewpoint, for example this article from 4-4-2:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/whats-point-crossing

Or this one:

https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/06/22/an-ineffective-tool/

Both show data which demonstrates how ineffective crossing is overall, and particularly with a side like ours with smaller, more technically gifted players, it's even less likely to work than it would for a side with an Andy Carroll or similar targetman.

Interesting stat which back up your point.

Having re read your post @Indy_Bones I suppose i can't really argue back, I'm just very surprised.

I suppose you can say that if your team is good at crossing, then they will score. To bring it back to Norwich and Hugill , I guess if we play with putting crosses in for him, good crossing at that, then he will score. I would assume as QPR did last year.