Move Klose

January Transfer Business

I see the rumours of Buendia to Arsenal are ramping up on Twitter. £15mil apparently.

£15mil 😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Considering our approach has worked pretty well since Webber came in, I think people need to forget the idea that it's going to change much if we go up. We're not going to be signing established Premier League players and we're not going to be spending £15m plus on players unless it's a really talented youngster coming from a smaller club willing to accept lower wages for the opportunity to prove himself in the Prem. Idah is one of the top rated young strikers in the country and people seem to be regarding the Soto signing as a bit of a coup. I think if we spend serious money it will probably be on a number 10... although Dowell was brought in as a Steipi upgrade and I'm sure the club will want to give him a chance to establish himself.

I really can't see any first team players coming in during January, unless we lose Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki or Aarons.  With the squad now approaching full fitness, you would have to question what kind of money it would take to improve the first 11 when everyone is fit. 

On the topic of Hugill, we are never going to see the best of him I don't think unless you play him with Platcheta and Argos together.  Hugill's game just doesn't suit Buendia, Cantwell, Stiepermann, Dowell and Vrancic.  They are fantastic players but whipping in early balls just isn't their strength.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Considering our approach has worked pretty well since Webber came in, I think people need to forget the idea that it's going to change much if we go up. We're not going to be signing established Premier League players and we're not going to be spending £15m plus on players unless it's a really talented youngster coming from a smaller club willing to accept lower wages for the opportunity to prove himself in the Prem. Idah is one of the top rated young strikers in the country and people seem to be regarding the Soto signing as a bit of a coup. I think if we spend serious money it will probably be on a number 10... although Dowell was brought in as a Steipi upgrade and I'm sure the club will want to give him a chance to establish himself.

I thought eaxctly the same when I read that relegated Watford had paid £40m for Sarr.

NCFC  ... £40m (plus wages to match?) Nah!

Destined for yo-yoism it seems ...well for the time being at least.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Would anyone take a punt and get glen Middleton in on loan from rangers?

He is available after a so so year or two at rangers.

Pacey and cheap, and a youngster who may now value farkes way?

if we go up, I think we'd mainly build from the back. A quality centre half next to Gibson and get Skipp for another year and we'd be in way better shape than last season.

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I see the rumours of Buendia to Arsenal are ramping up on Twitter. £15mil apparently.

£15mil 😂😂😂😂😂

Just noticed that too. Got a bit worried for a minute.....😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

£15mil 😂😂😂😂😂

The fee would have to be double that.

But if there was any truth, would we be replacing him? The left side seems stacked, but the right seems light and we will need a (very) good player to come in and do what Buendia does! 

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

But if there was any truth, would we be replacing him? The left side seems stacked, but the right seems light and we will need a (very) good player to come in and do what Buendia does! 

£30m plus Smith-Rowe. That would do. Of course really don't want to lose EMI.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I thought eaxctly the same when I read that relegated Watford had paid £40m for Sarr.

NCFC  ... £40m (plus wages to match?) Nah!

Destined for yo-yoism it seems ...well for the time being at least.

I think we have to accept that we will definitely be "risking" being just a yo yo club, I don't think it's a fait accompli though. The Gibson deal was typically astute and I think Skipp will probably stay for another season. Then it just depends on whether we get a bit of luck with injuries and whether several of Dowell, Idah, Placheta, Sinani, Soto, Mumba, Famewo etc can find another level. I think Farke will be expecting strengthening of the spine though- central midfield and number 10 are definitely weak areas for us (particularly in the Prem).

On 27/12/2020 at 11:33, Move Klose said:

Will we do any, do we need to do any?

I've seen a few people say we need a striker. I'm not ready to write off Hugill yet and Idah will be back in a few weeks. But I'd be worried if we lost Pukki to an injury.

Also seen people talk about a left back, but unless they are a left back who's going to start then I cant see it. Especially with Quintilla now back and Sorensen showing he can fill in there.

We seem to have plenty of options in midfield, no10 and on the wing with Hernandez & Placheta nearing a return.

A CB maybe to cover for Hanley & Gibson as Zimmermann has looked a little shady since his injury he got in the prem.

All these players that have just come back from injury and the ones close to a return will be like new signings.

What about out goings?

Morris is going to Barnsley, surely Drmic & Leitner will now get a move either permanent or loan.

Maybe a loan out for a couple of the younger lads, McCracken, Omotoye Omobamidele.

What about Josh Martin once Placheta & Hernandez are back. Will be behind those 2 aswell as Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell who can play down the right. Some games out in league one will benefit all parties.

Given a few games Josh Martin has the potential to be ahead of them all bar Buendia just needs to get stronger physically and game time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

You're not going to get many teams going into acseason with 4 first team level strikers when they only play one up top.

If we sign another striker the best they are going to be in 2nd choice to Pukki as of now.

Most clubs don't want to loan out a youngster to be second choice and we're not going to spend £4-5m on someone to be backup.

I think that is it. Hugill will go further down the pecking order. Idah would go further down the pecking order.

If we go up we need to do that so if an opportunity comes for the right striker in Jan then I would look.

It is more likely we stick with these 3 but I would argue that Hugill needs to show that he is worthy of being the second striker. If he continues in this way and we go up then I would be worried that we do not have the right fire power.

So Hugill now needs to step up and Idah will also need to show his worth once back. Simply put both need to score goals.

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

No is the answer! We won't be replacing Buendia left-side, right-side or any side!   Not a chance we will find anyone to compete with his output. Team morale will likely falter like it did when we lost 3 defenders before the restart in June....   If the club sell and fail to achieve in excess of £40m there's something very concerning.  Farke may as well throw in the towel.   They are going to have to give him something to work with, some sign of backing!

Separately, if Buendia did leave, I would hope he goes to a stable club where he can prove how brilliant he is and play in the Champions League.   Arsenal aren't that club at the minute.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag

23 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No is the answer! We won't be replacing Buendia left-side, right-side or any side!   Not a chance we will find anyone to compete with his output. Team morale will likely falter like it did when we lost 3 defenders before the restart in June....   If the club sell and fail to achieve in excess of £40m there's something very concerning.  Farke may as well throw in the towel.   They are going to have to give him something to work with, some sign of backing!

Separately, if Buendia did leave, I would hope he goes to a stable club where he can prove how brilliant he is and play in the Champions League.   Arsenal aren't that club at the minute.    

I agree, but we must try and replace him at least! Can see the Dennis Man links starting again soon too! 

Arsenal are still an attractive proposition to any player from the championship and even abroad! 

I'm also of the opinion we need a back up for Pukki.

I think for now and looking ahead it will be Pukki, Omatoye, plus one addition. Soto will fit in when he gets a permit. I would get rid of Hugill in January he hasn't done anything and is unlikely too. He hasn't scored from open play and he's basically cost the club 2.5 million for scoring a penalty. Apparently he's a joker in the dressing room, they could have employed me to crack a few pranks for a lot less than 2.5 million.

I'm not sure about Idah he needs to be better than he is, so out on loan and assess it from there.

As someone else suggested if we lose Pukki to injury or a dip in form and we don't get a decent alternative we are screwed

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I agree, but we must try and replace him at least! Can see the Dennis Man links starting again soon too! 

Arsenal are still an attractive proposition to any player from the championship and even abroad! 

Think the creative replacement is more likely to be Josh Martin or Sinani.   Seems Arsenal are interested in Riqui Puig from Barca and if we start at £40m, they are unlikely to bite especially as they need a defence too.   

Appreciate Arsenal are a big club but they are in such a mess, even Emi couldn’t save them!   

16 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'm also of the opinion we need a back up for Pukki.

I think for now and looking ahead it will be Pukki, Omatoye, plus one addition. Soto will fit in when he gets a permit. I would get rid of Hugill in January he hasn't done anything and is unlikely too. He hasn't scored from open play and he's basically cost the club 2.5 million for scoring a penalty. Apparently he's a joker in the dressing room, they could have employed me to crack a few pranks for a lot less than 2.5 million.

I'm not sure about Idah he needs to be better than he is, so out on loan and assess it from there.

As someone else suggested if we lose Pukki to injury or a dip in form and we don't get a decent alternative we are screwed

I can't believe some people would really think this. He's only had one start to date (from memory), and suffered an injury. Hugill hasn't got going yet, sure, but that does not mean he won't. His record at this level is good and proven. 99% more so than Idah, Soto and Omatoye! Absolutely no way we'll get rid of him in January. 

Our squad is huge, and full of talent when fully fit. Webber and Farke have talked before about having a close knit squad. I'd say Farke has a tough job on his hands keeping everyone happy and motivated with a fully fit squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see no incomings, and a couple of outgoings. Perhaps a loan recall or two if possible. 

6 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

I can't believe some people would really think this. He's only had one start to date (from memory), and suffered an injury. Hugill hasn't got going yet, sure, but that does not mean he won't. His record at this level is good and proven. 99% more so than Idah, Soto and Omatoye! Absolutely no way we'll get rid of him in January. 

He has only had one start for a reason, he's no good. Farke see's him every day and must have concluded despite his goal tally last year he does not cut the mustard at Norwich. 

How confident are you that if Hugill played 90 minutes he would score?

19 minutes ago, Mullet said:

He has only had one start for a reason, he's no good. Farke see's him every day and must have concluded despite his goal tally last year he does not cut the mustard at Norwich. 

How confident are you that if Hugill played 90 minutes he would score?

Pretty confident. In fact, I think he scores tonight. 

And I really doubt Farke has concluded he's 'no good.' He's back up to Pukki. Every striker at this level would be in the same position when Pukki is fit. 

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

And I really doubt Farke has concluded he's 'no good.' He's back up to Pukki. Every striker at this level would be in the same position when Pukki is fit. 

Spot on.

Less confident about him scoring tonight but agree with the message in general.

25 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

There are plenty of strikers in the championship that would be more than capable of sharing the responsibility with Pukki. We don't have an option to rotate our strikers because we don't have a viable alternative. I'm sure Pukki would benefit from the odd 45 mins to rest a bit and keep sharp

Pukki, and Idah are full internationals and Hugill scored 15 goals in this league last year.  I am really not sure what more the club can do.  The idea any better striker is willing to come to be a bit part player is unrealistic, and if we did Idah and Hugill would be very frustrated.

5 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Pukki, and Idah are full internationals and Hugill scored 15 goals in this league last year.  I am really not sure what more the club can do.  The idea any better striker is willing to come to be a bit part player is unrealistic, and if we did Idah and Hugill would be very frustrated.

I think the club did brilliantly in the summer but IMO Hugill hasn't grasped the opportunity. I don't blame the club at all but I would have hoped for Hugill to show more when he's been on the pitch. The point is sometimes you play second best to the main man and warm the bench but when your opportunity comes you grab it and give the manager something to think about next game. Hugill hasn't done that which for me is a real disappointment. I know he did well last season but that isn't relevant any more, last season has gone.

It will be interesting to see how this develops and I hope to god he starts contributing but my feeling is come the end of the season it will read: Hugill goals scored 1 

10 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I think the club did brilliantly in the summer but IMO Hugill hasn't grasped the opportunity. I don't blame the club at all but I would have hoped for Hugill to show more when he's been on the pitch. The point is sometimes you play second best to the main man and warm the bench but when your opportunity comes you grab it and give the manager something to think about next game. Hugill hasn't done that which for me is a real disappointment. I know he did well last season but that isn't relevant any more, last season has gone.

It will be interesting to see how this develops and I hope to god he starts contributing but my feeling is come the end of the season it will read: Hugill goals scored 1 

Possibly, although I think if Hugill only scores 1 Idah will have to have stepped up and taken the second striker role.   That would be fantastic - equally i may well be wrong.  OTBC