Move Klose

January Transfer Business

Will we do any, do we need to do any?

I've seen a few people say we need a striker. I'm not ready to write off Hugill yet and Idah will be back in a few weeks. But I'd be worried if we lost Pukki to an injury.

Also seen people talk about a left back, but unless they are a left back who's going to start then I cant see it. Especially with Quintilla now back and Sorensen showing he can fill in there.

We seem to have plenty of options in midfield, no10 and on the wing with Hernandez & Placheta nearing a return.

A CB maybe to cover for Hanley & Gibson as Zimmermann has looked a little shady since his injury he got in the prem.

All these players that have just come back from injury and the ones close to a return will be like new signings.

What about out goings?

Morris is going to Barnsley, surely Drmic & Leitner will now get a move either permanent or loan.

Maybe a loan out for a couple of the younger lads, McCracken, Omotoye Omobamidele.

What about Josh Martin once Placheta & Hernandez are back. Will be behind those 2 aswell as Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell who can play down the right. Some games out in league one will benefit all parties.

Josh Martin could be an interesting one, considering PP and OH are returning soon. Will he get the game time required for his development? 

I have a feeling Soto will go on loan to MK Dons, considering Morris is set to leave in Jan.

The only incoming transfer I can see is a left back who can also play centre back on loan. Brandon Williams is one that has been mentioned previously, however he's apparently linked with a PL move. 

I would also expect to see a few youth players being snapped up from the lower leagues. 

"Someone built like a brick outhouse to bully people in the middle of the pitch."

That and another striker.

Question marks remain against Hugill (will he ever click at City?) and Idah, for now, but more progress needed than expected ... (that Rep. Ire. game seemed to indicate this at least.)

Strikers win matches. A Mbokani type on loan for the rest of the season?

I feel that our defence is good enough for now, although quite thin beneath the surface. I believe only Swansea have let inless goals than us so far this season  ... may be wrong.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That and another striker.

Question marks remain against Hugill (will he ever click at City?) and Idah, for now, but more progress needed than expected ... (that Rep. Ire. game seemed to indicate this at least.)

Strikers win matches. A Mbokani type on loan for the rest of the seaso?

I feel that our defence is good enough for now, although quite thin beneath the surface. I believe only Swansea have let inless goials than us so far this season  ... may be wrong.

Not quite Broadstairs. Middlesborough, Bournemouth and Watford have conceded less also, but I agree with your general point about the defence

17 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Thought Soto was going to be recalled as he's expected to get a work permit

Does he want to be benched by Pukki every match, and be behind Hugill too? And once Idah is fit..

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Someone built like a brick outhouse to bully people in the middle of the pitch

Watford in the 2nd half did what many premier league clubs did last year. Use athleticism, strength and desire to win out the battles. If Watfors produce that level of performance they will be rushing up the table.

I would like an addition as I think it gives you some added energy and belief to the team. I think a 2nd striker is needed if Pukki got injured I really feel we miss a sharp shooter of a forward.

There are a few positions we could improve, a centre half with pace, strength to play alongside Gibson.

Aaron's, Quintilla, Byram and good enough with Mumba and Sorenson for now.

I agree in ths centre of midfield if we go up, we will need that influence, as we have for so many years.

We have creativity but we need finishers. I know Idah is going to be a good one but we need that finisher now. We need to just begin to turn the screw and show a bit more of ths confidence we have with goals.

Reaction needed at QPR and then again I hope we are looking to add in January. We need to get over the line kn this league and gain promotion so another striker will help. Hugill I think is an interesting prospect but has not really shown any signs of cohesion yet. He does need chances but he needs to make an impression when he comes on. So far he hasn't changed the game and made his footprint on the performance yet.

28 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Not quite Broadstairs. Middlesborough, Bournemouth and Watford have conceded less also, but I agree with your general point about the defence

Add Millwall to that list as well

• Like 2

For me we need a new Pukki like striker. If Pukki got injured we’d be ****ed in my view. Hugill is nowhere near good enough from what I can see. Idah too looks like he could do with a loan at MK Dons for 6 months to get some match time in his legs and build up some confidence. 

Soto may be an option if he can get a work permit.   

If I had a choice and it’s only for 6 months I’d get Defoe in. We create loads of chances and he’s the ultimate poacher. I’d suffer his wages for 6 months to virtually guarantee promotion. 

• Like 4

I think we need a striker. 

We won't sign a left back because we've also got Byram on the books for the future? 

Seems like a decent guy but Hugill is either not good enough, not suited to our style of football or both. Can see why West Ham only gave him 3 appearances. 

Prob claw back about £800k of our £2.5m from Preston once they are allowed fans in? 

5 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Add Millwall to that list as well

No not Millwall, by one. I use the TWTD tables though as I cannot now find the tables on this site. It's changed recently?

Evenso, it's small margins (one more conceded than Bournemouth) and fourth out of twenty four 'aint bad and makes it far, far better than many perceive it to be.

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think we need a striker. 

We won't sign a left back because we've also got Byram on the books for the future? 

Seems like a decent guy but Hugill is either not good enough, not suited to our style of football or both. Can see why West Ham only gave him 3 appearances. 

Prob claw back about £800k of our £2.5m from Preston once they are allowed fans in? 

Not like we have a striker who's scored 50 in 100 for us, a semi experenced Backup in Hugill, a youth striker in Idah and Soto coming in too or anything

The only player we really need back up for is Pukki but how much would that cost to get anyone who can play that position as well? As long as we keep pukki and Buendia fit we will be fine. The rest of the team we have cover. Might not be as good as the first 11 but that is why they are squad players. To sum up unless we are willing to spend an 8 figure sum for another striker then I don't see much incoming. 

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not like we have a striker who's scored 50 in 100 for us, a semi experenced Backup in Hugill, a youth striker in Idah and Soto coming in too or anything

Idah who could do with a loan to League One, Hugill who isn't good enough, and Soto who doesn't yet have a work permit? 

Injury to Pukki would kill our promotion, as simple as that. 

• Like 2

The way I see things we have a big squad;

GK Krul, McGovern, and Barden,

RB Aarons, Mumba, and Byram,

CB Zimbo, Gibson, and Hanley (Omobamidele)

LB Xavi, 

CDM Rupp, Tettey, Skipp, McLean, and Sorensen

RM Buendia, Hernandez,

AM Steipermann, Vranic, Dowell, (McAlear)

LM Placheta, Martin, Cantwell

Att Pukki, Idah, and Hugill, (Omotoye)

I think left back is issue, if we bring in a new striker, or more midfielders, we will need to move some out.  We also need to have space for those younger players to get opportunities to develop.  I suspect Idah wishes we had not signed Hugill, and once he is fit do we think he will want to be patient?

not prepared to write off Hugill yet. I think he'll be an important player for us as the season goes on when we need to find another way past some stubborn defences. We have a lot of games against organised but bang average opponents that will be looking to nick a draw or a 1 nil win and as good as Emi, Todd, Dowell and Pukki could be, its a fairly predictable and congested plan. Having hugill there to dig in and win some of the uglier 50 50s will help.

I'd be looking to give Soto the FA cup game to see where he is and potentially loan out Idah to give him some game time and confidence. It's make or break for him now in a way.

As for the rest of the side, I don't think we need to do anything bar keep our current players fit and firing. Plenty of players due back soon to help us out though I'd be tempted to recall famewo as I really don't want us having to resort to Tettey at centre back. We need him as backup to Skipp in the middle

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

not prepared to write off Hugill yet. I think he'll be an important player for us as the season goes on when we need to find another way past some stubborn defences. We have a lot of games against organised but bang average opponents that will be looking to nick a draw or a 1 nil win and as good as Emi, Todd, Dowell and Pukki could be, its a fairly predictable and congested plan. Having hugill there to dig in and win some of the uglier 50 50s will help.

I'd be looking to give Soto the FA cup game to see where he is and potentially loan out Idah to give him some game time and confidence. It's make or break for him now in a way.

As for the rest of the side, I don't think we need to do anything bar keep our current players fit and firing. Plenty of players due back soon to help us out though I'd be tempted to recall famewo as I really don't want us having to resort to Tettey at centre back. We need him as backup to Skipp in the middle

Here's my ideal FA Cup 11. Shame that it wont for obvious reasons look anything like this mind 🙃

fa cup.png

Have I missed something re Soto? What's the likelihood he'd get a work permit this season? Wasn't aware this was even a remote possibility?

If we could keep hold of all our existing players and buy no one id be delighted.

I think Idah is a decent option and I think Hugill is too - he's proven he can score double figures in this division for much worse teams.

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

Have I missed something re Soto? What's the likelihood he'd get a work permit this season? Wasn't aware this was even a remote possibility?

Soto needs to play in 60% (or more) of the USA’s game in a year to qualify.

Edited by Newtopia

2 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Soto needs to play in 60% of the USA’s game in a year to qualify.

Thanks. So given he was only called up in November, we ain't seeing him this season.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Idah who could do with a loan to League One, Hugill who isn't good enough, and Soto who doesn't yet have a work permit? 

Injury to Pukki would kill our promotion, as simple as that. 

I think I’m with TVB on this one although the timing of Idah return I think is key. At the moment we do look like an injury to Pukki away from being in trouble. I think if we have faith in hudgil then he probably needs to start a few but I wouldn’t be against Idah going out on loan to get some regular game time to support his development and an additional loan coming in. Hard to pinpoint who but a striker with movement would be handy. 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Someone built like a brick outhouse to bully people in the middle of the pitch

Surely if we get a proper left back then Sorensen will be that guy?

If we can get Soto a work permit then that would be fantastic, we really don’t need much......recall McCullum, permit for Soto and there we are without the need to spend much if nothing.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

If we could keep hold of all our existing players and buy no one id be delighted.

I think Idah is a decent option and I think Hugill is too - he's proven he can score double figures in this division for much worse teams.

Sorry Hogsesar totally disagree from wha5 I’ve seen of Hugill he’s just not likely to get us double figure, really need Idah and Soto.

I'd get Soto , Sinani and McCallum back here if we can ,the latter most in particular if Byram isnt coming back imminently.

Not sure how many of the others out on loan would have a chance of getting near the first team

We simply cant leave ourselves open to the horrendous injury situation we gad in the first half of this season, in the second

Hugill isnt someone who can replace Pukki, looks like he would work well in a 2, but we dont play 2 up top.

Think he will just be a player we put on to hold the ball up if we are hanging onto a win or someone to throw on for 10mins if we need a goal.

Doesnt really suit how we play, pukki is so good with his runs and movement in behind.

Lose Pukki for 10 games and I'd be very worried.

I dont think Soto gets a work permit anytime soon, if he gets recalled it will be to play abroad but in a better league than the Dutch 2nd division.

We need someone who can head a ball from a cross. A player dominant in the air in any position! We are weak in the air across the team ,or rather, just not dominant. It's why, if we are promoted, we will get done at set pieces again and out-muscled. 

Not necessarily what I like to see but we have to become a tougher team. So...in short, a big unit (or two) please. I want us to be less of a soft touch.