Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Anyone else looking forward to seeing Quintillà again?

Don't get me wrong- think most would agree Sørensen has done a good job given prior to joining us he had never played at left back before, and the only real 'bad' game he had was yesterday- And given the awful weather, being away from home and having to mark one of the best wingers in the league Sarr was just a task a little too big for him, and a task i'm sure most natural left backs would also have issues with.

But anyone else looking forward to having Xavi back? Just as our team was getting used to his fantatsic crosses into the box he went and got injured.

I still feel that once our team gets used to them he's gonna cause opposition players real problems. I would assume he will be back for QPR given he was on the bench yesterday and all, just presumably not fully fit given Gibson came on at left back and not him.

2012_2013_-_Xavi_Quintillà_-_Flickr_-_Castroquini-FCB.jpg

I think the side will immediately look more balanced. Sorensen has been getting in some great positions in recent games but the fact he has to cut back inside every time he gets the ball makes us quite predictable down that flank. 

Definitely, looks a class player and opposition sides have been directing play down the right hand side (their right) for weeks now.

I'm not sure this is always to target the player who they can show onto their weak foot, e.g. Forest's two best players just happen to be right sided, but it has definitely happened regardless.

That's not taking anything away from the job that Sorenson has managed to do, but he needs to make way for Xavi now and then try and force his way into the side in this natural centre midfield position, where I think he could become a nailed on starter in time. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

It’s been so long since he played and only those few early games that I’ve nigh on forgot how good he might be !

Quintilla LB, sorensen and skipp defensive mids for me. McLean for me is so bad. Just hides up

I don't think there's any certainty that Sorenson will make way for him. In fact I'd be disappointed if that happens. Sorenson hasn't really done anything to lose his place. And if it's just a case of "sorry son but Quintilla takes better corners even though he can't tackle" then it would probably be a shame. I haven't seen anything in the games where Quintilla played where he was better defensively and although Sorenson doesn't take a mean flag kick he does have a goal and an assist to his name.

It's an interesting conundrum...

I'd definitely like to see Sorensen get game-time in the middle, especially as if we don't get Skipp permanently, he's probably going to be the long-term answer in that position as I can't see Tettey staying another year. He looks like he can put a tackle in, come away with the ball, and hit some pretty progressive passes / get a tidy dribble or two in. Basically, he looks like he could be a bigger, stronger, slightly more defensive version of Rupp in the middle of the park.

I do accept @nutty nigel's argument that Sorensen's not really done much to lose his place at left-back, but I would be a little worried if a player who is ostensibly bought for defensive midfield is not allowed to keep developing in that position - and especially when we have a left-back on loan with us who we might be buying for the Premiership and another on loan who looks an excellent long-term prospect. IMO, for the Dane's long-term development we need to see him in his favoured position for a bit instead of thinking that he's been an excellent stop-gap.

That changes if he decides he wants to stay at left-back, but considering his propensity to keep cutting back in, I doubt he will.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd definitely like to see Sorensen get game-time in the middle, especially as if we don't get Skipp permanently, he's probably going to be the long-term answer in that position as I can't see Tettey staying another year. He looks like he can put a tackle in, come away with the ball, and hit some pretty progressive passes / get a tidy dribble or two in. Basically, he looks like he could be a bigger, stronger, slightly more defensive version of Rupp in the middle of the park.

I do accept @nutty nigel's argument that Sorensen's not really done much to lose his place at left-back, but I would be a little worried if a player who is ostensibly bought for defensive midfield is not allowed to keep developing in that position - and especially when we have a left-back on loan with us who we might be buying for the Premiership and another on loan who looks an excellent long-term prospect. IMO, for the Dane's long-term development we need to see him in his favoured position for a bit instead of thinking that he's been an excellent stop-gap.

That changes if he decides he wants to stay at left-back, but considering his propensity to keep cutting back in, I doubt he will.

That's a good point about playing out of position. I have only seen Sorenson at left back and he looks to be a right sided player. Where I think he would be really good is on the right side of back three. I think Gibson would be good on the left side of the three. I also think all our full backs are ready made wing backs. With Sorenson in that five it's also flexible and can be changed to a back four with him moving forward.

Caveat to all this is that I know more about bog cleaning and Daniel Farke seems to only want to use this formation as a plan b when things need changing.

Personally I have yet to be impressed by Quintilla. 

Firstly I want to state I'm not writing him off completely. I hope he comes back and is fantastic, but for me so far I don't think he is all that, and certainly not s patch on Jamal Lewis.

Comparing him to Jamal is, I understand, unfair. So looking at Quintilla on his own merit this is what I conclude -

He isn't really a tough tackling left back like say djiks briefly was. Nor is he a speed demon who is running up and down that flank a la lewis. I feel he is more attacking minded than a defensive minded left back, and I haven't really been blown away with his one on one defending or positional play. I appreciate he is ofcourse getting used to the league so maybe I should cut him some slack. His main strength seems to be his crossing and set pieces, sadly not our strength it seems. 

With his injury as well, it's a shame he is yet to get going. Have i understood that his injury is complicated, or is he back in training. 

Hmm, so far I have my reservations on signing him permanently, although I understood that we have to if promoted. Does anyone know the fee that Is muted?

If Quintilla is available then I’d move Sorensen central in a heartbeat alongside Skipp, that has the makings of a very solid central midfield who can cover any runs and both good on the ball.

Dowell needs game time but:

Krull

Aarons, Zimmermann, Gibson, Quintilla,

Skipp, Sorensen 

Buendia, Dowell, Cantwell

Pukki

That’s our strongest 11 for me.

Personally agree with Nutty, although got a good left foot, have seen him pull out of tackles, not strong enough for the rough and tough of the Championship. Would like to see McCallum come back or that Norweigian guy 

3 hours ago, Steve White said:

Personally agree with Nutty, although got a good left foot, have seen him pull out of tackles, not strong enough for the rough and tough of the Championship. Would like to see McCallum come back or that Norweigian guy 

Tettey's never been a left-back for as long as I remember, and he's the only Norwegian we have. If you mean Sorensen, he's Danish.