king canary

Changes for QPR

Last nights game does give Farke the excuse to change things up and get some round pegs back in round  holes.

I'd be keen to see something like this (assuming Krul is fit).

Krul

Aarons

Gibson 

Hanley

Xavi

Skipp

Rupp

Buendia

Vrancic 

Cantwell

Pukki

I like that team and eventually I can imagine that being Farke’s preferred lineup, with the exception of Howell over a Vrancic. 

Krul won’t be fit for the next two games and I think Xavi is optimistic for Tuesday after being out for so long though.

Krul is out for another 2 weeks I think?

...if Quntillla didnt come on last night , I'd have my doubts that he would start in only 2 days time

Theres only one way to get Dowell up to speed ..and thats by playing games

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul is out for another 2 weeks I think?

...if Quntillla didnt come on last night , I'd have my doubts that he would start in only 2 days time

Theres only one way to get Dowell up to speed ..and thats by playing games

So basically...no changes?

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

So basically...no changes?

...no...certainly Gibson back in for Zimmerman...and Vrancic or Rupp for McLean

Ideally Quintilla would be back in ...but I would be more confident of that had he have come on at left wing back last night when it was crying out for him

Definitely up for Quintilla coming back in. But I'd like to see Sorensen get a run in the middle now as he's generally played well. Tricky in the middle, as Rupp and Skipp have been excellent.

I have said many times I'd prefer us to go 4-3-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1 as this would better accommodate Vrancic in the deep. A deeper midfield three of Skipp, Rupp and Vrancic, or Sorensen, Rupp and Vrancic sounds a tasty prospect to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Definitely up for Quintilla coming back in. But I'd like to see Sorensen get a run in the middle now as he's generally played well. Tricky in the middle, as Rupp and Skipp have been excellent.

I have said many times I'd prefer us to go 4-3-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1 as this would better accommodate Vrancic in the deep. A deeper midfield three of Skipp, Rupp and Vrancic, or Sorensen, Rupp and Vrancic sounds a tasty prospect to me.

We're going to dominate most games and have the majority of possession in pretty much every game this season...we need as many attackling players on the pitch to get at the opposition box as we can to break them down. By sacrificing an attacking midfielder for another deeper midfielder would be music to the ears of those clubs who want to come to carrow rd and park the bus

• Like 2

I think Vrancic or Dowell should be starting the home games. Last night was probably not the game to give Dowell a full 90 minutes. We might have been better playing Tettey to give us a bit more physicality in the middle. I think QPR will Park the bus and then Barnsley could be quite an open game. 

We didn't quite hit the performance levels we did against Cardiff and so I would be looking to change it back to that side with Gibson back in and Vrancic starting, I think perhaps it might be pragmatic to bring Quintilla on if Lungi is having a hard time, especially if we are in a situation with Hugill coming on and the crosses we know he will put in. Perhaps Rupp for McClean?

McGovern

Arrons    Gibson     Hanley    Sorrensen  (first off if stuggling)

Skipp      Rupp

Buendia        Vrancic         Cantwell

Pukki

I think this would give us some strong options from the bench, Dowell still needs to be eased back in, it was exciting to see him start but perhaps Watford away for your first since september was always going to be a big ask. 

Edited by birchfest

Gibson has to be on for Zimmerman as Zimmerman wasn't great.

Krul back as soon as he is able

Quintilla back as soon as he is able

Give Sorrensen a go in the middle of the park

9 minutes ago, Downloads said:

Gibson has to be on for Zimmerman as Zimmerman wasn't great.

Krul back as soon as he is able

Quintilla back as soon as he is able

Give Sorrensen a go in the middle of the park

Zimmerman made a mistake, as he - and all of them - are prone to do, but overall, he has been huge in the defence wth his presence and interceptions/blocks.  It's no coincidence that our defensive record has been good over the last few games with him in the team. I would keep him in.

We had the plodding lethargy of last season back on show 1st half yesterday - lots of back and forth side to side possession but few to none incisive moves or frankly good attempts on goal. 

Somehow with Skipp and Mclean this is what we get.

We need to find a place for Vrancic or another direct threat on goal class play-maker with an eye to the killer pass for runners.

We need Rupp back in. I also think Dowell deserves a couple of games, I think it was too early for him vs Watford but the next few games should give him a chance to get in tune with the rest of the attacking players. We can always bring Vrancic on if needed.

• Like 1

Id like to see Rupp back in to give us that extra bite and energy in midfield. I can't imagine Xavi is ready for a start yet

It's a tricky problem for Farke to have to solve. Personally I think Lungi needs a break, his output going forward wasn't great last night at all.

Zimmerman looked a proper car crash last night, surprised he wasn't hauled off at halftime. Good to see Gibson back!

Then there's the Mayor...lots of people calling for him to be dropped, but he hasn't done a lot wrong. He gives good energy box to box which is what we need. Vrancic is awesome just without 90mins worth of legs.

Skipp just gets better and better would like him to sign in January.

The 'Fab Front Four' I would stick with for a couple more games to dial Dowell in with their wavelength. Thought Cantwell was hauled to early last night too.

Overall not too much to change and I liked the 3-5-2 change up as an alternative.

I fully expect QPR to get the brunt of our fire power on Tuesday.

Dowell needs time, and every minute he gets he should get sharper, but potentially Vrancic & Mclean could rotate in No.10 while Dowell gets up to speed

Xavi also gives us more balance on the left, but whilst Rupp has excelled next to Skipp (& I'd be more than happy for both to start against QPR) I'd really like to see Lungi given a chance next to Skipp. Think that's his natural position, and I believe he will give us a creative outlet in his preferred position. 

Gibson has to come back, comfortable on the ball and very positive in possession, looked to get the ball forward quickly. Hanley can also play in his preferred right side of defence. 

2 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Then there's the Mayor...lots of people calling for him to be dropped, but he hasn't done a lot wrong. He gives good energy box to box which is what we need.

He slowed the play down too much at times and he also ran out of steam in the second half - which he is prone to doing.

Pretty much all the team had an off day yesterday.

it happens.

Maybe Tim could come back a bit quicker as until last nigh I though MM has been doing great in goal. 

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Has Placheta finished all his Christmas shifts at Next yet? We could have done with some pace last night. 

He is moonlighting at Cantley.

I agree that Zimmermann Sorenson and Dowell drop to the bench replaced by Gibson, Quintilla and Vrancic.

I’m guessing that like most teams QPR will set up defensively, therefore we should field a more attacking team. I like McLean, however when Vrancic came on he looked more likely to make something happen. 

Could be interesting to see Hugil start alongside Pukki - “little and large” - would be a throwback to Fleck and Roasario 😂

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Last nights game does give Farke the excuse to change things up and get some round pegs back in round  holes.

I'd be keen to see something like this (assuming Krul is fit).

Krul

Aarons

Gibson 

Hanley

Xavi

Skipp

Rupp

Buendia

Vrancic 

Cantwell

Pukki

Yep I’d go for this team 100%, 4 changes seems like a healthy freshen up after just a 2 day break and a subpar performance.

Still not sure why Quintilla didn’t come on yesterday though especially with Hugill up there. If it was a fitness issue then why was he even on the bench? It doesn’t make sense on either level.

Going from Sorenson at LB to Skipp at LWB did not fill me with confidence! Quintilla could’ve opened things up for us a lot IMO

This is a tricky one but pukki looks leggy to me too, touch not been there last couple of games which could be a sign of fatigue. Are we going to chance starting Hudgil and go on giving him a rest? 

Think it just needs a freshen-up really, Watford were physically past us and that's ultimately what made the difference. 

I'd take the opportunity to get Hugill some minutes (sort of player who will probably love playing against an old team too) and as I said on another thread, maybe give Aarons and Skipp a day on the bench to catch their breath. Two from Rupp, Tettey and Sorensen should be enough to fill the gaps against a team that won't have any intention to come play ball with us, Quintilla back into the LB slot if fit. Sort of game for Vrancic from the start and I think I would hold back Dowell as a sub for now- having watched the two starts against Huddersfield and Watford, he seems to be struggling a little bit to make an impact (injury problems understandable).

We were going to lose eventually, and away to an automatics rival was going to be a hard slog. Now we have most of our injuries back in, we need to start spreading the minutes around a bit to prevent burnout.

Quintella not fit enough to start pencil him in for Cov FA Cup game.  Pukki not given any service to notch those trademark goals through balls to feet.  A weighted ball plated into feet delvered by Stiepermann usually  but will be played well enough by Vrancic.  Rupp to be brought back to accompany Skipp if fit if not McClean.

Change formation once it is clear QPR are intent on all out defence, move kenny/rupp further forward.

Yeah, agree with all the changes above. Vrancic, Rupp and Gibson in for Dowell, McLean and Zimmermann.

We've looked at our best this season when we've had Hanley and Gibson at centre back and Skipp and Rupp in holding midfield, so assuming Rupp and Gibson are fit enough to start I'd like to see them back in. I'm not a huge fan of Mario being in the number 10 role, I think he works better when played deeper, but there's no question of how good he is and what a great relationship he has with Buendia and Pukki. With Stiepermann out he's the obvious choice to replace Dowell, who seemed off the pace on Boxing Day.