Jersey Canary

When’s Krul Back?

Is it me or am I the only one who thought McGovern should have got the cross for the goal? It seemed a very half hearted attempt at getting the ball. 

Little moments like that are the difference between Krul and McGovern and why we miss Krul. 

• Like 1

McGovern was a big fault for the goal. Made no attempt to get to the ball to try and push it away. It looked doable, but he just did nothing. 

Pretty sure Krul will be back for the next game, and rightly so. 

I dunno, the deflection off Aarons is ultimately what takes the ball relatively close to McGovern, something which is hard for him to anticipate. I think the ball still ends up in the back of the net even with Krul in goal. 

I agree though that the sooner Krul is back the better. Such a massive presence in our backline. McGovern has generally done a solid job of holding down the fort in Tim's absence, but our whole defensive unit looks so much more assured and hard to beat with Krul in it. 

Edited by Pukki Blinders

Yes the ball was so close to McGovern ( low but an arms length away from him)  I think it put Sorensen off, who would have attacked the ball if McGovern wasn't there. Unlike the past weeks where he performed well - that was really poor goalkeeping, it was the actions of a person playing in goal for the very first time !

We desperately need Krul back. We’ve got away with it realky but MM is rooted to his line at all times and tonight it cost us for the goal. 

I thought he could not have done much about the goal.  Equally I thought his distribution with his feet, and ability to clear crosses from corners invited pressure onto us, it is tough being a keeper, but krul is more effective for us.

To answer the actual question, Krul’s not going to be back until the FA Cup game against Coventry on 9th of Jan, although even that isn’t set completely in stone. So McGovern will be keeping his place for the next 2 games at least.

Have to say as well I know I said earlier up that I don’t think McGovern can be blamed for the goal, but watching the highlights back he certainly doesn’t cover himself in glory. He either has to commit to coming out of his goal and getting to the ball, or try to dive across the goal-line to get in the way of Sarr’s incoming shot, but he ends up just kind of falling on his knees and not doing either. I don’t know if he could’ve prevented the goal either way, as the cross did have pace on it and had taken a big deflection, but by basically doing nothing he’s not given himself any chance of stopping it.

Edited by Pukki Blinders

Watched the replays for various angles, I don't think he looks particularly good when the goal goes in but I think lots of factors where against him, the deflection changed it's direction, then it looks like it bounces just before him and skids so the height isn't what you'd predict at those point. I think he would have done better to come off the line and just welly it up the field but it is what it is.

He's our 2nd keeper and he's done well, looking forward to Krul coming back in but we're lucky to have a MM standard keeper as backup to the big guy.

The goal was poor and dowell and Max mainly to blame. McGovern just froze Which he is prone to do as just isn’t as decisive as Krul in any situation

McGovern sort of pulled his hand away and let it go past. He surely should have just dived forward and intercepted it but as usual he was stuck on his goal line. 

I think there were mistakes before the ball even came into the box, as well as Lungi perhaps not anticipating. In terms of McGoverns positioning I think the deflection actually brought the ball closer in and into that no mans land. For me the cross shouldn't be coming in!

27 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Clearly McGovern at fault. 

I've looked at it several times and can see why people think that and to a certain extent he was at fault, but every facet of that goal was down to poor play from outfield players first and him last. With the deflected ball flashing across in front of goal, bobbling around, not easy to attack it so while not blameless, a bit unfair to attach too much blame on him for the goal.  The outfield players do their jobs and there is no threat.....but they didn't.

Edited by lake district canary

I think McGovern is nowhere near good enough. However, he has generally been decent since Krul has been out and hasn't done much wrong. I think it's incredibly harsh to place any blame on him for the goal, it doesn't look good but the deflection makes a big difference. I'd blame Aarons, Dowell Sorenson, Zimmerman. In that order. 

Before anyone asks, I think Zimmerman could have done more at getting to the ball put down the line in the build up.

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Clearly McGovern at fault. 

If we hadn’t have given the ball away, and if we’d have got tighter to the Watford player and stopped the cross it wouldn’t have got that far. Yes, he could have done better but some people are desperate to blame McGovern for every goal we concede at the moment 

35 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think McGovern is nowhere near good enough. However, he has generally been decent since Krul has been out and hasn't done much wrong. I think it's incredibly harsh to place any blame on him for the goal, it doesn't look good but the deflection makes a big difference. I'd blame Aarons, Dowell Sorenson, Zimmerman. In that order. 

Before anyone asks, I think Zimmerman could have done more at getting to the ball put down the line in the build up.

Can’t believe he’s got off free from criticism on this post until you noted it.   Their pass out from defence was Zimms ball, unfortunately he ran away from it instead.   Can’t work out what Dowell was trying to achieve... should have got goal side of ball between player and Aaron’s.

I’d blame Zimmerman, Dowell then Aaron’s.    McGovern and Sorensen could have done better but ridiculous the ball got near our box.   Terrible goal to concede. 

What remains a real worry is McGoverns uncertainty on the ball... can’t believe he’s had a career at this level and can’t even kick the ball a third of the pitch.   

Thought Zimmerman looked particularly uncomfortable in his movement... is he struggling or just awkward, he was particularly slow yesterday.    

Generally, for our style to work against the better teams we have to learn to play at a far higher intensity.  Far too laboured and easy to defend.      

Edited by ged in the onion bag

37 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Agree with this. I think Zimbo could have cut that out. As it was he stopped and ran off in the opposite direction . 

29 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If we hadn’t have given the ball away, and if we’d have got tighter to the Watford player and stopped the cross it wouldn’t have got that far. Yes, he could have done better but some people are desperate to blame McGovern for every goal we concede at the moment 

If we were perfect in doing all those things then a goalkeepers job would be no more than fielding back passes and taking goal kicks. You cannot allow the ball to run across your six yard line without an attempt to cut it out.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If we were perfect in doing all those things then a goalkeepers job would be no more than fielding back passes and taking goal kicks. You cannot allow the ball to run across your six yard line without an attempt to cut it out.

And conversely, if you had a goalkeeper who was perfect in everything they did then you wouldn't need any defenders. (And the ball didn't 'run' across our box - it flew across our box.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

So you agree that it’s not clearly all Mcgovern’s fault then ? 😉

6 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Exactly - and this incident was a perfect example of what we are missing now that we no longer have the pace of Ben Godfrey in defence. Zimmerman dithered because he was unsure whether he had the pace to get to the ball first - and then he took the conservative option and backed off. Godfrey would comfortably have got there first and regained possession for us. 

Max should have at least tried to confront the Watford player much earlier, by retreating he invited the cross.  McGovern looked like he could have got a hand as it seemed within his reach, but would have only diverted into the path of onrushing Watford players City defenders all rushing back to goal and he just may have considered Sorensen should be able to cover.

But the main reason for the goal was Dowell lost the ball just outside Watford Penalty area with most of the team up the field.  Quickly player forward by Watford with our defenders out of position and their winger taking advantage.

21 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

Is it me or am I the only one who thought McGovern should have got the cross for the goal? It seemed a very half hearted attempt at getting the ball. 

Little moments like that are the difference between Krul and McGovern and why we miss Krul. 

A real keeper would've dived on that cross. His kicking is pathetic. Cant recall 1 kick gone a few foot over the hal way line....