Keith Scott

Keith Scott's post match musings

Vrancic must start every game when available, no excuses. Always look such a better side when he's on the pitch.

Pukki really hasn't looked sharp in the last couple of games. 

Aarons seriously needs to up his game in the final third.

Never looked like scoring, outmuscled. Very reminiscent of so many games last season. Farke really needs to address this against teams like Watford. And potentially Premier league teams next season.

Must improve.

Still, all to play for. K.S.

Vrancic can't. He's too old in the legs. 

Ffs. Why is everyone overreacting? 

A narrow loss to a very good team. 

Top of the league, move on. 

• Like 4

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

I wish you’d keep your musings quiet - as is usually the case when we win.....🤔

Always*

20 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Vrancic must start every game when available, no excuses. Always look such a better side when he's on the pitch.

Never looked like scoring, outmuscled. Very reminiscent of so many games last season. Farke really needs to address this against teams like Watford. And potentially Premier league teams next season.

Must improve.

To be fair to KS all fair points.

We were off our offensive sharpness and looked bullied at the back.....but it's going to happen every now and again....however I was impressed with the early changes to system and formation and felt we were unlucky (Pukki clearly isn't getting sleep 😉 ) in the second half.

Roll on Tuesday and back to 3 points

Otbc

19 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Must improve.

5 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Battle of the Parody accountssssssssssssssss! 🎣

Keith's got more big match experience but Jerry has been making lots of waves recently.

Who's the bigger wind-up merchant? There's only one way to find out...

...count the replies... 🎣

OTBC

• Haha 2

Yes we lacked a pivot today. Kenny won a lot of headers but we had no one in the middle of the park controlling things.

Dowell has had a lot of phase heaped on him but I still can't see why people are so excited ?!! You cannot play Farkeball without accuracy.

Skipp is the ball winning CM and made some penetrating runs - he's not in the team to act of playmaker.

With the inactivity of McLean and Dowell, Buendia had to come deep again and do it all himself. I thought the centrebacks Hanley, Zimmermann & Gibson carried the ball forward well today.

But at the most crucial time in the first half when we had the ball we lacked Vrancic or Rupp. Without this skillset and against the strongest team in the Division you can see it coming - the lost !

@Six Pack Dowell's first start since being out injured. People are talking about his prior appearances where he has created chances and hit the post. Looked good before his injury too.

As for the Vrancic/Rupp comment, we have beaten teams arguably as good.

In reality, you simply cannot expect to go a season undefeated. We have had a really good run and at some point, statistics would point it becomes more likely to come to an end. Away at Watford is not somewhere to be that ashamed of the result.

And honestly, I didn't think Watford were amazing. They just managed the game better than us. Perhaps a bit more experience in key areas, a tad more pace in attack? Their goal came in the first half and it was largely against the run of play. The goal we conceded was a bit sloppy, and in fairness they probably carved better opportunities that they failed to get anything from.

Just wasn't there for us tonight. But like I say, those tough away games I would take a point from all day long leading up to them for the very reason you know how hard it is to come away with something.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

@Six Pack Dowell's first start since being out injured. People are talking about his prior appearances where he has created chances and hit the post. Looked good before his injury too.

As for the Vrancic/Rupp comment, we have beaten teams arguably as good.

In reality, you simply cannot expect to go a season undefeated. We have had a really good run and at some point, statistics would point it becomes more likely to come to an end. Away at Watford is not somewhere to be that ashamed of the result.

And honestly, I didn't think Watford were amazing. They just managed the game better than us. Perhaps a bit more experience in key areas, a tad more pace in attack? Their goal came in the first half and it was largely against the run of play. The goal we conceded was a bit sloppy, and in fairness they probably carved better opportunities that they failed to get anything from.

Just wasn't there for us tonight. But like I say, those tough away games I would take a point from all day long leading up to them for the very reason you know how hard it is to come away with something.

So why not start Dowell against a lesser opposition (QPR) then ? Your first start after injury can't be against the strongest team in the division. Let's be realistic here - they had people like Will Hughes comiimg off the bench ! They were rusty though and if we have had Vrancic on - we stood a very good chance of turning them over !

15 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

So why not start Dowell against a lesser opposition (QPR) then ? Your first start after injury can't be against the strongest team in the division. Let's be realistic here - they had people like Will Hughes comiimg off the bench ! They were rusty though and if we have had Vrancic on - we stood a very good chance of turning them over !

I think there was far more wrong with our performance than just Dowell. And his last performance had been brilliant. You would suspect that we were looking for that instant brilliance from the start, perhaps leading to a goal or two and then Vrancic, without his pace, could come on when Dowell was tiring and offer a different, more measured outlet. It didn't work out, but not just because of Dowell. 

It's like those thinking Vrancic has to start because he made ALL of the difference who are also ignoring the change of system to one that suited Vrancic more and having two forwards on the pitch. Personally I wouldn't start that formation regularly.

3 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

legs too old ??!! - suddenly creating clear changes after he came on !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

What he may, or may not, lack in his legs he more than makes up for in his brain.

• Like 1

I agree with the above assessment of Dowell's input yesterday.

I'd not previously kept up with the history of this player, or indeed his what his value had been to our team in the games he had played.

There seems to have been a mini-fanfare surrounding his re-appearance so I expected more. That he was quickly re-instated into the starting eleven intensified my expectations. Is another Hoolahan back after a lay off, I thought to myself?

In the event I was left underwhelmed.

I don't expect my comments to instigate yet another scapegoating campaign and the player did ok, especially considering the long time that he has been inactive. He will likely improve.

However, I feel that his inclusion in the starting line-up proved to be premature. I would have preferred Tettey, tbh, especially against a tough outfit like Watford. Mario would have been my first sub of choice were the half-time scoreline to have been replicated.

Rupp starting is the compromise for the next game and Dowell's willingness to get a shot in might prove useful from the bench.

Is it my imagination or are Vrancic's attacking contributions becoming more pertinent with age (and I not talking about those free-kicks?) He's the one who is more like the next Wes these days.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, chicken said:

I think there was far more wrong with our performance than just Dowell. And his last performance had been brilliant. You would suspect that we were looking for that instant brilliance from the start, perhaps leading to a goal or two and then Vrancic, without his pace, could come on when Dowell was tiring and offer a different, more measured outlet. It didn't work out, but not just because of Dowell. 

It's like those thinking Vrancic has to start because he made ALL of the difference who are also ignoring the change of system to one that suited Vrancic more and having two forwards on the pitch. Personally I wouldn't start that formation regularly.

Farkeball cannot be played without accuracy - Dowell doesnot have that accuracy ! I 've watched all the games he's played in. After the Reading game, David Freezer came out saying both Cantwell and Dowell changed the game after coming on in the second half - I've watched a tape of that second half two times over - saw a fancy back heel, a lot of guile from Todd but couldn't see anything from Dowell. DF has bigged up this player in the media but I still need to see it with my own eyes - maybe he just hasn't got the technical abilty to do it ? Yes he's got a good shot on him, can pass quickly but it's doing it in the opposition "red zone" that counts- Steipermann is actually better ! The game yesterday - taking away his lack of competiveness chasing back that led to the Watford player crossing it in - if we looked at just his attacking attributes - we cannot be serious grooming this player for the Premier League. Yesterday was a tough away game which we needed 11 of our best players to compete - could not afford a single passenger - Dowell was that passenger - but not his fault he was picked. DF can get things wrong !

For the sake of the team I wanted to be proved wrong - but he's a 15th - 18th ( in the table) Championship player.

Vrancic may run like Bambi but he has the technical ability to win us matches - the odds of a win changed quickly to a draw or a lost as soon as the team was announced.

11 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Baseless guff.

All the best, Big Keith Scott.