Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Watford*****

Our approach play has been very good IMO, we’ve built from the back well and dominated possession for most of the half. Unfortunately it hasn’t led to any clear cut chances, and when we lose it we look exposed and Watford have been piling forwards quite quickly and playing direct.

Shame we conceded when we did as we were well on top at that point in the game and the goal itself was very avoidable - Aarons and Dowell both half hearted in their tracking back, McGovern bizarrely letting the cross go which I can’t understand at all from that position!

Unfortunately I feared this would be a loss given the circumstances and not surprised to see things going against - though I was expecting Watford to play much better than they have. Disappointed to be down given how things have panned out so far but hopefully we can pull it back!

Dowell off for Vrancic? Or Rupp? McLean to play the advanced role?

• Like 1

We have been the better team yet posters want to take half the team off.

There is half a game to go with a good bench if needed.

Sometimes things don't always work out either through bad luck or bad play.

Bad play by Aarons gave them a goal unfortunately. Bad pass led to a break and he didn't cut out the cross.  But he is Prem player so no moans.

If anything, we overdid it around their box but one will work and we will be back in it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Also, should Capoue have been sent off? It’s arguable they should be down to 10.

Think it would have been harsh  , one more though  and hes gone.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Also, should Capoue have been sent off? It’s arguable they should be down to 10.

Would have been harsh

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

slow build up, then some impressive 'ping pong' stuff.........................that achieves nothing

changes needed at half time

Patient build up and quick one twos in the final third is literally our entire style and how we are currently top of the league.

How can someone be so devoid of knowledge on the team they support?

Decent half. Watford obviously up for it with the new manager and have the physical edge, whilst we are clearly the better footballing team.

This is the sort of team and challenge we come up against in the Prem all the time (Watford are basically still a Prem team). Let's see if we can turn it around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Normal speed its a foul. Slow motion, its a red card.

But I still don't want VAR.

I'm sure he will be off second half.

Really frustrating. Only one side even trying to play football or get a result out of this. As long as we did the basics defensively you'd think it was a matter of time before we found that first goal, and what do we go and do? Basically gift Watford the opener. 

No doubting how good Max is, but what is he doing for that goal? Gives the ball away poorly, and then after Hanley does brilliantly to hold-up Gray and stop him getting in-behind, Aarons backs off and backs off Sema, all the way from half-way inside our half to the byline, and doesn't do anything like enough to stop the ball in. Sorenson also has to be getting in front of Sarr there. Has to be said though there was a blatant foul on Pukki on the edge of their box in the build-up. How the ref didn't give it I'm baffled. No excuse though. I bet Farke is fuming.

In general our play when we get into the final 3rd is just a bit too rushed at times. Too many shots from 30+ yards out. Our movement and passing (up until the goal at least) was generally superb we just need to have a bit more patience and composure.

One thing we can be sure of, we're going to see a lot of the ball this half, so we need to use it wisely. Dowell at the moment isn't really getting into the game, and Cantwell hasn't had near enough of the ball. Hopefully those to can up the ante and we'll make something of this second half.

Edited by Pukki Blinders
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Dowell at fault for the goal, hope that is pointed out to him forcefully after the match.  Playing the kind of football we do, that was lax.

Not for me................Max is one of our best players but should never have allowed that cross........pushed back into the box and didn't stop the ball going across................poor from such a good player   

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

No, I don't even think he should have a yellow, totally accidental. Having said that we need to force him into a rash challenge now. 

5 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It is amazing Buendia got sent off for less, you can guarantee had that been Buendia he’d have gone!

1 minute ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Really frustrating. Only one side even trying to play football or get a result out of this. As long as we did the basics defensively you'd think it was a matter of time before we found that first goal, and what do we go and do? Basically gift Watford the opener. 

No doubting how good Max is, but what is he doing for that goal? Gives the ball away poorly, and then after Hanley does brilliantly to hold-up Gray and stop him getting in-behind, Aarons backs off and backs off Sema, all the way from half-way inside our half to the byline, and doesn't do anything like enough to stop the ball in. Sorenson also has to be getting in front of Sarr there. Has to be said though there was a blatant foul on Pukki on the edge of their box in the build-up. How the ref didn't give it I'm baffled. No excuse though. I bet Farke is fuming.

In general our play when we get into the final 3rd is just a bit too rushed at times. Too many shots from 30+ yards out. Our movement and passing (up until the goal at least) was superb at times, we just need to have a bit more patience and composure.

One thing we can be sure of, we're going to see a lot of the ball this half, so we need to use it wisely. Dowell at the moment isn't really getting into the game, and Cantwell hasn't had near enough of the ball. Hopefully those to can up the ante and we'll make something of this second half.

I’ve supported Norwich long enough to get used to us not having the run of the green most of the time! Farke will sort them out at half time, I’ll be amazed if we don’t score

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Bad play by Aarons gave them a goal unfortunately. Bad pass led to a break and he didn't cut out the cross.  But he is Prem player so no moans.

If anything, we overdid it around their box but one will work and we will be back in it.

This. 

A rare moment of knowledge amongst the pant wetters demonstrating yet again they know nothing about the game they watch. 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

No, I don't even think he should have a yellow, totally accidental. Having said that we need to force him into a rash challenge now. 

No way is that accidental.

Look at the length of his step with the wrong foot, there is intent on trampling on Emi

Not really been in top gear yet though have we?

Time for a proper 45 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Not for me................Max is one of our best players but should never have allowed that cross........pushed back into the box and didn't stop the ball going across................poor from such a good player   

Both Dowell and Aarons at fault.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yep I was feeling quite positive about our play until the goal which came out of nowhere and was very avoidable from more than one individual. But that doesn’t make the entire half poor. I suspect if it were still 0-0 then maybe there wouldn’t be such harsh analysis? But I don’t think that one moment defines the 45 minutes at all!

I expect we will pen them right in for the next 45. Will we go for broke and switch to the 3-5-2 with Quintilla / Aarons wide? Could make things very interesting!

5 minutes ago, Pukki Blinders said:

Totally disagree with this reading of the game.

There  is more than one way to 'play football' and Watford have done a good job being a threat on the counter. Bit laughable to act like they've not been trying to get a result when they could quite happily have gone in 3-0 up at half time.

5 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

This. 

A rare moment of knowledge amongst the pant wetters demonstrating yet again they know nothing about the game they watch. 

76161902.jpg

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Totally disagree with this reading of the game.

There  is more than one way to 'play football' and Watford have done a good job being a threat on the counter. Bit laughable to act like they've not been trying to get a result when they could quite happily have gone in 3-0 up at half time.

3-0??? If they scored every chance they created maybe?