unique

Not the best time to be playing Watford

City will need to be on it from the get go on Boxing Day as Watford will have :-

1) Probable ‘new manager bounce’

2) Deeney back in the team after being unceremoniously dropped by the previous manager

3) No game next Tuesday, so Watford can put absolutely everything into the game

4) They’re playing the league leaders, showing on Sky, and desperately need to kick-start their season.

A point from this game will be excellent. A win will probably require the best performance of the season so far.

A typical Norwich promotion campaign would not be complete without a few disappointing performances and results along the road.. otherwise we’d just pull away and be comfortable - not the Norwich way. Unfortunately I suspect Boxing Day will be one of those days. 

Shame they couldn’t hold on to their manager another game at least! 

Had some really crap results against Watford recently (losing to them at home last season when they didn't have a point on the board was the moment our season derailed IMHO), would love to stuff them like a Christmas turkey on Boxing Day.

• Like 2

I’m not sure some of those points are particularly valid,  I suppose their players may be trying hard(er) as they want to impress the new manager, but the flip side is that he’s barely had a chance to come to the country, so any ‘bounce’ if it happens -as it often doesn’t - could be delayed.  I don’t really see it changing a great deal for us, they weren’t doing particularly badly and it was always going to be a tricky game.  We’re on a good run and a repeat of Reading would do nicely.

Those London (well nearly in this case) footballers are notorious for over-doing it at Christmas.

Palace used to be a regular trip for me over the holiday period. I'm as sure as can be that their 'keeper ran out wearing a party hat one year, the 'trainer' had to bring out Alka-Selzer to their centre forward after twenty minutes and most of them seemed to be carrying a few extra pounds. They even did the Conga around the touchline when they scored.

By contrast our boys are ingrained throughout with the Farke style of self-discipline. Every detail counts. They will have been give a dictat to cover every dot and comma of their Christmas day, from what to eat and drink to when to go to bed and what to do when they get there.

"Jingle bells, jingle bells jingle all the way,

Oh what fun it is to see City win on Christmas day." 

Famous last assumption.😄

I'll settle for a draw, but I said that against Reading.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1) Probable ‘new manager bounce’

As they have about 5 new managers a year, they're often on 'the bounce'. Yet they are still where they are. For me, this is not comparable with having a good manager consistently who instills playing with confidence week in, week out.

2) Deeney back in the team after being unceremoniously dropped by the previous manager

Still take Pukki any day of the week. It's not like he's Messi or anything. We just need to play him for the striker he is. I have faith in that.

Is this more of a benefit than a Norwich team with some serious winning momentum? I'm not sure.

4) They’re playing the league leaders, showing on Sky, and desperately need to kick-start their season.

We ARE the league leaders. For good reason.

Although I agree they we need to afford them due respect in this game in order for us to get the result, to echo Splendid Rush's comment above - I'd say its a bad time for them to be playing Norwich myself.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

If ever a team should fear playing us it’s now! Cantwell & Buendia playing at a very high level, Dowell back, Gibson & Krull should be back I believe and we’re winning without being at our best!

1 hour ago, unique said:

City will need to be on it from the get go on Boxing Day as Watford will have :-

A point from this game will be excellent. A win will probably require the best performance of the season so far.

Sarr wanting to leave

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

If ever a team should fear playing us it’s now! Cantwell & Buendia playing at a very high level, Dowell back, Gibson & Krull should be back I believe and we’re winning without being at our best!

Krul is out still

There is a story waiting to be written either way... 'new manager bounce' or 'Watford in disarray'...

For me, we are really beginning to gather momentum, when you look at Middlesboro, Reading, Swansea games and think, each was a chance to put down a marker. Watford is just another one of them.  Should we be beat them, it's a 12 point gap, which at our current rate of 2pts per game will take a long time to overhaul.  I also sense in some key players like Buendia, that they recognise the importance of these games and are fired up to make the difference.  Each win adds pressure, provides a buffer, the experience of 2 seasons ago stands us in really good stead.  This feels like the promotion bandwagon is beginning to roll 😀

So I'm confident about Watford, but one game doesn't make a season, and without doubt we are without doubt the team that all others want to finish above in this division, currently.  

This team at the moment I think will feel ultra confident, and why not. They know that they are now really  hitting their stride with perhaps still another gear to come.With players coming back to full fitness the one's with the shirt at present know they have to keep delivering.Can only be good for the team. Does'nt matter what level you play at,when you are winning games and putting teams away like we are you feel unbeatable.🔰🔰

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is the Championship.

No game is an easy game- Be it Bournmouth away or Wycombe at home.

Agree totally (we lost to Derby when they were bottom after all), but being confident isn't the same as taking anything for granted.  We have depth of squad, quality and are controlling games.  Doesn't mean we can't lose or drop points, I just think we have a real focus and understanding of how important each game is.  

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Had some really crap results against Watford recently (losing to them at home last season when they didn't have a point on the board was the moment our season derailed IMHO), would love to stuff them like a Christmas turkey on Boxing Day.

Well that could work in our favour this time as there should be no complacency.

47 minutes ago, daisy said:

What does "get go" actually mean? 

Load of bollox isn’t it ? Why don’t people just say “ from the start “ ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Load of bollox isn’t it ? Why don’t people just say “ from the start “ ?

I agree 110% 😇

• Haha 3

Let’s also not forget it appears they weren’t really playing for their last manager, or that’s the suspicion I have anyway. Put it this way, they like us also have some very good players and have this feeling they might kick on a bit from here and I think we’ll see a more attacking Watford side. But that said, I think there’s signs there’s more to come from us too. Time to make a statement Saturday night 🥊

3 hours ago, daisy said:

What does "get go" actually mean? 

Based on my comprehensive research, it's a contraction of "Ready, set, go".

Every day's a school day.

6 hours ago, unique said:

It’s a bad time for them to play us

we are mighty, it’s hard to put it into words

Its the Norwich City Championship and it’s our. Everyone else from the peasant clubs pays rent in our league.

kneel before Nodge!

Watford have an impressive home record 7 wins, 2 draws and only 1 defeat.  Away only 2 wins 3 defeats.  The 2 draws were Bournemouth and Brentford they therefore struggle against the divisions better teams.  This may be a portent for City to get a result they don't lose many.  City have gone to many teams this season with good form and come away with wins Middlesbro and Stoke we need to perform the Luton fiasco is still remembered.  They don't concede many another clean sheet would be nice.

The Watford squad has been vaunted however when I looked at it recently failed to recognise no more than 3 players.  Not expecting new manager bounce their last match against Huddersfield they looked completely dispirited and lacking confidence.  Lets put it to em. 

Watford are a good side, hence why they are where they are, but I think I'm right in saying they haven't won 3 on the trot all year and performances have often been inconsistent. Fancying them over a side that has won 13 of the last 14 seems bizarre to me. 

Watford have some very good players, but Norwich may well put out a side with Pukki, Cantwell, Dowell and Buendia as a front 4. I would be worried if I were them, more  than I currently am facing Deeney.

We could lose, it will be tough, you have nowhere to hide in a 46 game season compressed by a few months and if we don't turn up they will beat us. I still would rather be us than them though.

With the players we have available and the quality of our play the only fear should be amongst the ranks of our opponents.

10 hours ago, unique said:

Never worry about the opposition, just concentrate on your own game. 

Watford away is the ONLY game on the entire fixture list where I would take a point before the game....but lets not build them up into something theyre not...as Allardyce showed with WBA at home to Villa the other night, how much work can a new manager really do in the space of a few days?..particularly one with no knowledge of English football or the players?

We are on very good form but no doubt this is a very tough game and probably the toughest we have left, especially given the manager change. They and Deeney will be pumped for this and they have good players who can hurt us. A win here will be exceptional but falls more into the do not lose category for me. 

I guess it was ‘new manager bounce’, then.

Playing, unusually with two up front, Watford created several good opportunities to be further than 1-0 up at half-time.

Starting with Dowell proved a disaster for the first 65 minutes as he never got into the game. This, in turn, meant Pukki got the poorest service he has received for months.

we certainly lack the cutting edge from two seasons ago.