Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Restructuring NCFC, the Ed Balls way

Ed is clearly a smart guy and I think, long term, his spell at this club will be remembered as a hugely positive thing.

Alex Neil will likely need to change his attitude to sporting directors if he ever wants a top flight job again though.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ed is clearly a smart guy and I think, long term, his spell at this club will be remembered as a hugely positive thing.

Alex Neil will likely need to change his attitude to sporting directors if he ever wants a top flight job again though.

Indeed. I mentioned this on the 'I hope we can stay humble...' thread. But the other fascinating point about the management of the club at that time is the unsung role that Jared Kushner (pictured far right ) played:

Norwich City chairman Ed Balls and managing director delivered the stark reality regarding the club'
  • Haha 1

I agree that Alex Neil has to adapt. We seem to have got Neil at the right time (from a team perspective) ? Neil was in the early stages of his managerial career and it was a perfect storm. Obviously we needed more than he could offer in terms of Club development but finances played an undoubted part (but Daniel Farke et al, has shown that can be vastly improved)  Alex Neil has done ok at PNE, but they are struggling now. Where would he see himself going after the PNE job, and how can he improve?? Age is on his side, and hopefully an open mind as well.

I would say pretty much the same for Paul Lambert (yes, the one who was exposed to European football and all that entails before it was 'fashionable for players/Managers etc to embrace all things European) , but Lambert has had far longer to change and his renowned stubbornness, may restrict him for ever now.

Perhaps the fact that there have not been many successful British managers who have impressed abroad, and how many  non British managers have influenced the British game, that may be a light bulb moment for some like Neil

It's trying to get all the ducks in a row, with players/finances/Manager/Coaching/structure etc. We have had some of those sectors filled with excellent candidates, but it's trying to get as many as possible to that standard at the same time which is always the challenge.

We are doing ok at the moment

Edited by Crabbycanary3

14 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I agree that Alex Neil has to adapt. We seem to have got Neil at the right time (from a team perspective) ? Neil was in the early stages of his managerial career and it was a perfect storm. Obviously we needed more than he could offer in terms of Club development but finances played an undoubted part (but Daniel Farke et al, has shown that can be vastly improved)  Alex Neil has done ok at PNE, but they are struggling now. Where would he see himself going after the PNE job, and how can he improve?? Age is on his side, and hopefully an open mind as well.

I would say pretty much the same for Paul Lambert (yes, the one who was exposed to European football and all that entails before it was 'fashionable for players/Managers etc to embrace all things European) , but Lambert has had far longer to change and his renowned stubbornness, may restrict him for ever now.

Perhaps the fact that there have not been many successful British managers who have impressed abroad, and how many  non British managers have influenced the British game, that may be a light bulb moment for some like Neil

It's trying to get all the ducks in a row, with players/finances/Manager/Coaching/structure etc. We have had some of those sectors filled with excellent candidates, but it's trying to get as many as possible to that standard at the same time which is always the challenge.

We are doing ok at the moment

I agree. On Ed Balls' point that it wasn't the time to bring in a sporting director because Neil was dead against, it would potentially have been tricky even if Neil had been in favour. Because Neil might well not have been who the SD wanted as manager/head coach.

It worked for us eventually because both jobs were vacant. Moxey and Neil had both been pushed out, so we could appoint a SD who could then appoint the head coach.

We don't really know that Alex Neil was against a Sporting Director model. It may just have been that he would have felt that the introduction of such a director whilst he was the incumbent manager would have looked as though he was being undermined. 

It's totally different to taking a job at a club where there is already a Sporting Director structure in place. 

1 hour ago, Beefy is a legend said:

We don't really know that Alex Neil was against a Sporting Director model. It may just have been that he would have felt that the introduction of such a director whilst he was the incumbent manager would have looked as though he was being undermined

It's totally different to taking a job at a club where there is already a Sporting Director structure in place. 

Off the top of my head, hasn't that happened before at 'bigger' Clubs than us and all it takes is a bit of PR clarity to address that? 

Edited by Crabbycanary3

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Off the top of my head, hasn't that happened before at 'bigger' Cubs than us and all it takes is a bit of PR clarity to address that? 

Possibly, but then not everyone believes what they read in the paper. Bigger managers than Neil have had their reservations over the model...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2834976/Harry-Redknapp-Directors-football-joke.html

In the end, Neil may have in fact felt that the introduction of this role would in fact have undermined him, because he wouldn't have the same control over signings and may have been expected to select his squad in a certain way that wasn't in line with his plans. 

That is why it is so important to have a Head Coach and Sporting Director with similar philosophy.

Absolutely, Whoever takes over from DF when he leaves will be in no doubt what kind of structure they'll be working as part of and what kind of footy he'll be expected to produce. Anyone who doesnt fancy it need not apply. Unless things go  t1tsup between now and the departure of SW and DF , I expect us to be negotiating with potential successors from a position of power, not so much 'please come ' , rather more'join the queue, we'll check you out'.....thats if the new fella/s havent been headhunted as part of the succession.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Possibly, but then not everyone believes what they read in the paper. Bigger managers than Neil have had their reservations over the model...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2834976/Harry-Redknapp-Directors-football-joke.html

In the end, Neil may have in fact felt that the introduction of this role would in fact have undermined him, because he wouldn't have the same control over signings and may have been expected to select his squad in a certain way that wasn't in line with his plans. 

That is why it is so important to have a Head Coach and Sporting Director with similar philosophy.

I guess it all determines what the structure is. Obviously there isn't one Head Coach/Sorting Director manual, where roles are clearly defined. 

Each Club will tweak the general thinking to suit their needs (Current League position/Finances etc)

Alex Neil may not have been offered what he anticipated was required for the role or may have deliberately been given an offer the Club knew he would refuse?

Does anyone itk (!) have a clear outline of what Farke and Webber's roles are here, in regards to transfers/recruitment/future etc and how they intertwine?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Absolutely, Whoever takes over from DF when he leaves will be in no doubt what kind of structure they'll be working as part of and what kind of footy he'll be expected to produce. Anyone who doesnt fancy it need not apply. Unless things go  t1tsup between now and the departure of SW and DF , I expect us to be negotiating with potential successors from a position of power, not so much 'please come ' , rather more'join the queue, we'll check you out'.....thats if the new fella/s havent been headhunted as part of the succession.

Certainly agree with this. As we have been privy too in the past, there will already be names on a list, if things were to change quickly. that's just good business practice. That list can change over time, through many different influences and today's list may never see the light of day.