Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Both Lewis and Murphy in action for Newcastle right now against Brentford

On 23/12/2020 at 10:40, A Load of Squit said:

I agree re the Brentford goal but Newcastle fans blame Lewis for the WBA goal in a previous game and now he's their (es)cape goat 

In fairness it must be hard for Lewis; by day a professional footballer, by night taking to the streets of Newcastle and fighting crime as Cape Goat. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I prefer Xavi and his incredible crossing + corners, he's a better passer of the ball as well.

Better all round player in my opinion. 

Xavis crosses are fantastic, just need the team to adjust to them

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On that we all agree  .

Still can't believe Newcastle bought Lewis from us. A good move for him as a bigger club, but their style of football was never going to suit him. Bad advice from agent maybe, or just greed, but he's not obviously a Newcastle type player. Nor is Murphy and it has taken him 3 years to get any regular gametime in a new position.

Then again, I couldn't believe Everton bought Godfrey either and they seem quite taken with him despite his inability to block crosses or shots.....

24 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Still can't believe Newcastle bought Lewis from us. A good move for him as a bigger club, but their style of football was never going to suit him. Bad advice from agent maybe, or just greed, but he's not obviously a Newcastle type player. Nor is Murphy and it has taken him 3 years to get any regular gametime in a new position.

Then again, I couldn't believe Everton bought Godfrey either and they seem quite taken with him despite his inability to block crosses or shots.....

Carlo Ancelotti - sgncfc?  Carlo Ancelotti - sgncfc?   Nope - I'm still totally torn as to who's opinion I should go with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Weird! My recollection of Godfrey last season was a player who put his body on the line for the team multiple times. I actually thought one of his strengths was getting himself inbetween the ball and the goal to make the block...

An example which sticks out is the block on the line at Spurs away in the cup before lockdown - a game saving stop - but in truth there were countless times during the campaign where he prevented a goal bound shot.

Lots of praise from Everton fans already for making quality and committed last ditch tackles so far too. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Carlo Ancelotti - sgncfc?  Carlo Ancelotti - sgncfc?   Nope - I'm still totally torn as to who's opinion I should go with. 

I know! Weird isn't it? 🤣

But then again, this is a messageboard.....so should he have blocked Cavani's shot instead of turning his back (like he did for Wellbeck's goal against us for Watford?) On such fine margins trophies are won and lost and he's playing with the big boys now, not little old us.

All I can say is I'm very happy with the £24.75m.

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I know! Weird isn't it? 🤣

But then again, this is a messageboard.....so should he have blocked Cavani's shot instead of turning his back (like he did for Wellbeck's goal against us for Watford?) On such fine margins trophies are won and lost and he's playing with the big boys now, not little old us.

All I can say is I'm very happy with the £24.75m.

You're watching with your eyes and your mind closed. I was listening to the Radio 5 commentary of the game and they waxed lyrical about Godfrey throughout the whole game. You just seize on one perceived mistake and concentrate on that - because it's the only piece of evidence (out of a mountain of evidence available) that backs up your preconception. 

On 24/12/2020 at 16:04, sgncfc said:

Eh? That’s simply not true. One of Ben’s greatest strengths was very much his blocking of shots and crosses!

• Thanks 1

On 25/12/2020 at 03:01, cambridgeshire canary said:

Farkeball is not about people just throwing crosses in and hoping someone gets to the end of one them. Only one goal from all the time he's been on the pitch. Defensively very weak. Results improved once he was out of the team. Sorensen is now ahead of him as far as I'm concern - by a massive margin !

Those bashing Godfrey, by far and away the best centre back prospect we've had in a long, long time. Yes he was young and lacked experience but that's exactly what a club like Everton will give him and provide for him the ability to reach his potential. I think he's played well for Everton given he's played here there and everywhere for them so far. He will definitely play for England one day, no doubt. 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 14:12, wcorkcanary said:

On that we all agree  .

Sadly I disagree... to do this we would need Hugill on the pitch and to change the system, which is the last thing in the world I want. Crossing occasionally as a surprise is ok with me, anything else I don't wanna see. The football we play is superior. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 10:03, TeemuVanBasten said:

I prefer Xavi and his incredible crossing + corners, he's a better passer of the ball as well.

Better all round player in my opinion. 

From the little I've seen he's slow, rather weak & doesn't defend very well.

But it's early days & I'm not going to write him off yet.

7 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

From the little I've seen he's slow, rather weak & doesn't defend very well.

But it's early days & I'm not going to write him off yet.

He's our player and looks like he wants to be here, there's always that to consider before deciding to praise some other clubs massively out of form left back. 

5 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Is Xavi back at Colney training with us or still in Spain?

Well considering he's been declared fit and in contention for today's game... Colney I hope! 

5 hours ago, AJ said:

Those bashing Godfrey, by far and away the best centre back prospect we've had in a long, long time. Yes he was young and lacked experience but that's exactly what a club like Everton will give him and provide for him the ability to reach his potential. I think he's played well for Everton given he's played here there and everywhere for them so far. He will definitely play for England one day, no doubt. 

Needs to become stronger in the air.

Although if they ban heading in football as is being mooted recently he'd be world class! 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's our player and looks like he wants to be here, there's always that to consider before deciding to praise some other clubs massively out of form left back. 

Welcome to TVB's world of football irony. "He's our player" he says - about a player who is here on loan. 🤣

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Welcome to TVB's world of football irony. "He's our player" he says - about a player who is here on loan. 🤣

On loan reportedly with a purchase option, which we can afford if promoted.  

Welcome to Thirsty Lizards world of football pessimism, where we can be 7 points clear of 3rd and he still doesn't believe in the team. 

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

On loan reportedly with a purchase option, which we can afford if promoted.  

Welcome to Thirsty Lizards world of football pessimism, where we can be 7 points clear of 3rd and he still doesn't believe in the team. 

Even by your bizarre standards this is scraping the barrel. As I'm sure you know I'm one of the most positive posters on here (or a Happy Clapper if you will).  

Now how's Lee Camp getting on at Coventry? 🤣 😂😆

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Although I did partially agreed with you at the time of the suggestion - this reads rather ironically when you look at the McGovern / Lee Camp debate you raised after Krul’s injury. I.e. take the above sentence and sub in goalkeeper for left back...

I also don’t think Quintilla has been a part of the team during our upturn in form - so can’t really attribute any of that down to any contribution from him!

FWIW I think Quintilla offers more than Lewis going forwards in terms of crossing / the final ball and set pieces which are an added bonus. But I don’t think he’s as mobile, I don’t think he’s as sharp in possession and I also think Lewis is the better defender. But that’s only based of a few performances of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Downloads said:

Sadly I disagree... to do this we would need Hugill on the pitch and to change the system, which is the last thing in the world I want. Crossing occasionally as a surprise is ok with me, anything else I don't wanna see. The football we play is superior. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't want to change the way we play either , rather add to it occasionally.  Wasn't  advocating  anything of the sort.... just that if Xavi  is playing  and looking like hes gonna put the odd cross in that we attack  the cont as if we mean it.. get across the defenders and mix it up now and again. Especially if the oppo are set up to counter out usual style.  Quintilla doesnt always have to cross for a header either , he must be capable of supplying  something low for a  forward/oncoming midfielder to finish.

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Even by your bizarre standards this is scraping the barrel. As I'm sure you know I'm one of the most positive posters on here (or a Happy Clapper if you will).  

Now how's Lee Camp getting on at Coventry? 🤣 😂😆

Whatever, hope Xavi proves you wrong - I think he's a far more capable footballer and that you aren't doing him justice. 

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Whatever, hope Xavi proves you wrong - I think he's a far more capable footballer and that you aren't doing him justice. 

He can hardly prove me wrong, because I literally haven't mentioned his name on this thread. 

• Haha 1