cambridgeshire canary

'Ipswich fans have simply got to lower their expectations'

Iโ€™ve just seen a link to the same thing onย Facebook. The comments underneath are funny, referring unsurprisinglyย to their glorious history. Which gets even more historic season after season.

When you think that anyone under 50 would struggle to have any proper recollection of that glorious history you have to wonder how it can be so important to them.ย 

I don't see younger fans at Blackpool running on about Stanley Matthews or Bolton running on about Nat Lofthouse. They're just part of history that fans have heard about from their grands...

What does a man of 40 get from bragging about something he's never seen๐Ÿ˜•โ‰๏ธ

ย 

• Like 2

The only binner I know well is in his late fiftiesย  and to be fair, he has seriously lowered his expectations.ย  He's even joked that he'dย  love a majority shareholder like Delia, y'know someone who'sย  more about the Club than the money.ย 

It does seem something peculiar to the binners - even McCarthy made a sly dig at within days of arriving at poorman road

And since that sepia toned era ended with the EUFA Cup they have won -

one second tier trophy - we have won three

one FA Youth cup - we have won two

and a third tier trophy

plus the no small matter of a League Cup trophy

and the day out winning at Wembley in 2015 weren't too bad either - we even got a trophy

so 7 (or 8 ) to us and 2 to them, with the thought that we may add to that total come May

no wonder the poor things cling to bygone days

55 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

When you think that anyone under 50 would struggle to have any proper recollection of that glorious history you have to wonder how it can be so important to them.ย 

I don't see younger fans at Blackpool running on about Stanley Matthews or Bolton running on about Nat Lofthouse. They're just part of history that fans have heard about from their grands...

What does a man of 40 get from bragging about something he's never seen๐Ÿ˜•โ‰๏ธ

ย 

I mean given the 'Ipswich massive' or whatever they call themselves (the lot that were photo'd wearing balaclavas outside Portaloo Road with a 'Its time to go Lambert!' Sign) appear to all be under 18 it's safe to say that even the 'hardcore' of ipswich supporters have only ever seen their team stagnate as a boring midtable Championship team and now a midtable League one team ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

ย 

ย 

There's definitely something unique about them, it's like me going on about our victory at Agincourt, or how we repelled the Spanish Armada, yes, the English won but I wasn't there I wasn't involved and it had nothing to do with me.ย 

48 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

There's definitely something unique about them, it's like me going on about our victory at Agincourt, or how we repelled the Spanish Armada, yes, the English won but I wasn't there I wasn't involved and it had nothing to do with me.ย 

They are also conveniently selective about their history when compared to others.

No more illustrated by the posting I rememeber reading last year from a frustrated ITFC fan (one?) who complained that they were now inferior to teams like Huddersfield with "less history than us."

From Wiki:ย 

"Huddersfield became the first English club to win three successiveย English league titlesย inย 1925โ€“26. The first two league titles were won underย managerย and pioneerย Herbert Chapman, who also led the team to anย FA Cupย win inย 1922. They have been runners-up in theย First Divisionย thrice, and FA Cup runners-up four times. Town were the second team, afterย Blackpool, to have won all three divisionalย play-offs.

In the late 1950s, the club was managed byย Bill Shankly, and featuredย Denis Lawย andย Ray Wilson."

ย 

With little Ipswich andย ITFC fans it's more than an obsession it's aย totalย nonsense and bordering onย a self-destructive illness.

Unique in the world of football. Laughable.

"Champions of Europe" is another silliness. They won the Fairs/Europa Cup (or equivalent,) the winners of the then European Cup were Champions of Europe, ie Liverpool.

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I know a bloke with a big belly that does thisย 

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

ย 

I've often wondered that.

I think if you asked the average football support of my age (32) about Ipswich Town they'd think of them as one of the many middle of the road lower league clubs, like a Preston or similar.ย 

For those of you who have never seen Pointless you have to give a correct answer to a question that a random 100 people were asked. On one of the rare occasions I watched it recently, one of the questions was to name a team that had been in the Premier League. Ipswich was a pointless answer. Two people out of 100 named Bradford.ย 

Don't watch Pointless by the way. It is the most aptly named programme ever.ย 

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Perhaps if they awarded themselves another star it would cheer them all up.ย ๐Ÿคฃ

Apples

One star for every year they are going to spend in Leauge one?

ย 

Blimey, not sure how they are going to fit at least another ten stars on their badge

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One star for every year they are going to spend in Leauge one?

ย 

Blimey, not sure how they are going to fit at least another ten stars on their badge

Isn't it us that should have ten stars on our shirt?

The club should make it an optional extra. They'd make a few quid ๐Ÿ˜Š

I hope Ipswich fans stay just the way they are for ever and ever .I like them like that .

Theyโ€™re funny .ย 

They get a new manager whoโ€™s going to be the best manager in the whole wide world . Then theyย get very angry and are very silly cos he isnโ€™t . I think they like it really cosย they do it all over again with another manager .ย 
But they get the most angry and the most silly when they actually have a manager who somehowย keeps them in with a chance .

Like I say , theyโ€™re funny .

• Like 1

I think Ipswichโ€™s relegation was theirย own fault. From what I heard from an fan it sounded like the previous manager they had signed a whole load of players from lower level clubs, which just werenโ€™t good enoughย for the Championship. As a result of this, they signed Lambert who got us back to back promotions, thinking he would achieve the same with them

We were lucky, as we still had some players of a decentย level in our squad, such as Wes and Grant, who despite coming from L2 Shrewsbury turned out to even be good enough for the PL, also Fraser Forster on loan from Newcastle. Ipswich are a bit stuck thoughย as I think they have too many lower level players in their squad and if they want to get back up, they will have to findย a few players who have decent Championship experience.

Even if they do get manage to get back up this seasonย I canโ€™t see them getting anywhere near the PL next season, as back to back promotions are very rare,ย and I think they will be in a relegationย battle asย they are struggling now - when Lambert arrived for us he got things going almost straight away.

ย 

ย 

5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know a bloke with a big belly that does thisย 

I went to Plymouth a couple of times when they were with us in the Champs. (A longย  ย old poke on Club Canary!) There used to be this mahoosive Plymouth fan who was near us away supporters and of course the usual "have you ever seen your clock" would go his way. He stood up and welcomed it, with a huge smile signalling to bring it on and absolutely milking the moment. When the chant subsided there was a brief pause before his loud west country voice boomed out "No but your missus has"

๐Ÿ™ƒ

ย 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I went to Plymouth a couple of times when they were with us in the Champs. (A longย  ย old poke on Club Canary!) There used to be this mahoosive Plymouth fan who was near us away supporters and of course the usual "have you ever seen your clock" would go his way. He stood up and welcomed it, with a huge smile signalling to bring it on and absolutely milking the moment. When the chant subsided there was a brief pause before his loud west country voice boomed out "No but your missus has"

๐Ÿ™ƒ

Aah Plymouth. Luftwaffe should have finished it off and no-one would miss it.