Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Get it forward....

'What's all this nonsense?! Not proper football is it! Back in my day it was hoof ball and slide tackles from behind and that's the way it was! Proper English football you get me? None of this fancy fairy foreign ****! The fact we havent got in Big Sam says it all, off to bloody West Brom when he should be here teaching our players how to chug pints and break the Opposition players bones like proper footballers!'

😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

one notable aspect of that goal was it was not on the ground - too many of our shots are kept low, allowing the keeper a greater chance of saving the ball

watch Cantwell's penalty v Spurs, top corner where no keeper would get to it

Also includes a pass back to Michael "he can't play out" McGovern who, under pressure, doesn't hoof it but passes to Hanley.

When I re watched it I said to my son there would have been loads of moaning as the ball went back and sideways so many times.

This goal shows exactly why we look to maintain possession, get the opposition chasing the ball and then open up spaces to allow for Buendia and Cantwell to have the room to weave their magic.

Farkeball at its best!

• Like 2

I said at the start of the season that I thought lockdown would actually help our players after the frustrating end to last season. I have to say I'm doubtful supporters would have been patient enough to wait for all those late goals, often scored by tiring and moving opponents around with lots of sideways and backwards passes.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

one notable aspect of that goal was it was not on the ground - too many of our shots are kept low, allowing the keeper a greater chance of saving the ball

watch Cantwell's penalty v Spurs, top corner where no keeper would get to it

Actually the ball doesn't go high into the net, and is at close to that mid-height that is generally the best for a goalie to make a save. That the Cardiff keeper didn't was due to the power of the shot (as Goreham said, Cantwell belted it) and to the placement towards the corner. Generally speaking, though there are exceptions, the hardest shots for goalies are those very high up and those skimming along the ground.

Edited by PurpleCanary

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Actually the ball doesn't go high into the net, and is at close to that mid-height that is generally the best for a goalie to make a save. That the Cardiff keeper didn't was due to the power of the shot (as Goreham, said Cantwell belted it) and to the placement towards the corner. Generally speaking, though there are exceptions, the hardest shots for goalies are those very high up and those skimming along the ground.

The two things I notice goalkeepers struggle with is if a low shot hits the turf just before the diving keepers hand and shots through defenders legs.

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Also includes a pass back to Michael "he can't play out" McGovern who, under pressure, doesn't hoof it but passes to Hanley.

I understand that McGovern has been better than expected but I don't think even his harshest critics were claiming he couldn't pass the ball 5 yards under no pressure to a central defender.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I said at the start of the season that I thought lockdown would actually help our players after the frustrating end to last season. I have to say I'm doubtful supporters would have been patient enough to wait for all those late goals, often scored by tiring and moving opponents around with lots of sideways and backwards passes.

Really valid point. Look at the ridiculous levels of criticism after completely dominating the game against Derby, but losing to a single set piece, for example. Look at some of the match threads when we hadn't scored after 45 minutes. Now we're top and proven what some of us said all along (that the performances were fine, everything pointed to them being fine, etc etc) - fans should be alot more willing to be patient etc so the sooner the fans are back the better.

But at the start of the season I agree, probably worked better not having us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I understand that McGovern has been better than expected but I don't think even his harshest critics were claiming he couldn't pass the ball 5 yards under no pressure to a central defender.

You did see @TeemuVanBasten posts, right? 😂

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

The two things I notice goalkeepers struggle with is if a low shot hits the turf just before the diving keepers hand and shots through defenders legs.

I remember one season in the PL when about 7 in 10 of the goals seemed to be where the keeper was 'yorked'.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Errrr… 'under pressure'? 

22 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Errrr… 'under pressure'? 

Fair enough, just watched it again and it was Hanley whom had the opposition on top of him. It's been a long week.

It's Monday? 😣

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

or even between 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Actually the ball doesn't go high into the net, and is at close to that mid-height that is generally the best for a goalie to make a save. That the Cardiff keeper didn't was due to the power of the shot (as Goreham said, Cantwell belted it) and to the placement towards the corner. Generally speaking, though there are exceptions, the hardest shots for goalies are those very high up and those skimming along the ground.

not sure why you chose to misrepresent what I said, again

"one notable aspect of that goal was it was not on the ground - too many of our shots are kept low, allowing the keeper a greater chance of saving the ball

watch Cantwell's penalty v Spurs, top corner where no keeper would get to it"

I never said it went "high into the net" as can be read

However what I will add is that ground level shots are easier than those below the chest, as the keeper can get down easier than having to judge at what level the bsll is and if there is any 'swerve' ie anything off the ground has a better chance

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Tippy tappy nonsense🙃

I know what you want Nutty?.........  Why aren’t we Sheffield United and humping the ball forward old school!

When we move the ball, open team up, it’s noticeable how Cantwell, Pukki & Buendia are pivotal to that speeding up at the right time. Absolutely brilliant players who deserve full credit.

Can’t wait to see a fully fit team, imagine Skipp & Sorensen cool head in midfield with Cantwell, Dowell & Buendia behind Pukki.....that’s a premiership set up which would certainly keep us up next year if we get promoted!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Fair enough, just watched it again and it was Hanley whom had the opposition on top of him. It's been a long week.

It's Monday? 😣

LOL

In fairness you can probably take 'McGovern' out of your initial post and replace it with 'Hanley'. Unreal ball control from the big man. I do recall some excrement shooting out when he doubled back on himself during the game though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Its ok  Purpleo , he'll understand  the  game one day. 

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

I remember one season in the PL when about 7 in 10 of the goals seemed to be where the keeper was 'yorked'.

Yorked is spot on Ron.

There you go, your new name for the pink un..

Spot On Ron 

🙃

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Its ok  Purpleo , he'll understand  the  game one day. 

having played semi pro (as it was then known) I have a fair idea of the game

but still struggle with understanding why the likes of your sort need to misrepresent what is posted

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yorked is spot on Ron.

There you go, your new name for the pink un..

Spot On Ron 

🙃

😁

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

having played semi pro (as it was then known) I have a fair idea of the game

but still struggle with understanding why the likes of your sort need to misrepresent what is posted

Get over yourself  ,  if you understood the game you could have been a full pro. .. or was it a " cant be told " attitude that hindered your career?..you also wouldn't have such a childish attitude to  stats. You would also understand why Zonal marking is used by many top teams. So take your " I know everything  about everything "  and shove it up your know all arris . 

You're a Pritstick  chap and it was so nice here when you were gone.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Get over yourself  ,  if you understood the game you could have been a full pro. .. or was it a " cant be told " attitude that hindered your career?..you also wouldn't have such a childish attitude to  stats. You would also understand why Zonal marking is used by many top teams. So take your " I know everything  about everything "  and shove it up your know all arris . 

You're a Pritstick  chap and it was so nice here when you were gone.

😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Bill said:

However what I will add is that ground level shots are easier than those below the chest, as the keeper can get down easier than having to judge at what level the bsll is and if there is any 'swerve' ie anything off the ground has a better chance

Bill the goalkeeper coach now, no end to his talents. 

As a qualified goalkeeper coach top corner and bottom corner are the hardest ones to get to either because of lack of height and reach or because the tall keepers find it harder to get down quickly. 

Shots between the head and knee should be bread and butter to most keepers and it was the pace that beat the keeper not the height. 

• Like 2