Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Covid - Does anyone know...?

If the EFL agreed any contingency arrangements for the season being ended prematurely? I can't recall any, but any one know? Or the EPL ?  

Points per game, subject to a minimum of X games? Or anything? 

Way things are going, I can see a lot of postponements coming down the line , particularly where teams have injuries. An already condensed fixture list could become untenable? The lower leagues (you know, the ones that the Binners play in ) are struggling - one positive test can take out three games! 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

It was a little surprising last season that a billion pound industry didn't have a rule hidden away somewhere which states what happens if a season is unable to be completed.

If they still haven't added something, whether it be a void season or PPG depending on a certain percentage of games played, then why on earth not? The amount of bickering between Team Void (us, Villa etc.) and Team PPG (Liverpool, Leeds) and threats of legal action must surely have meant that the PL, EFL and FA have put something in writing to prevent this?

• Thanks 1

PL agreed at the start of the season that were it unable to end then final placings would be decided on ppg. Nothing about the number of games to be played before it comes into effect. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/09/premier-league-to-be-decided-on-points-per-game-if-2020-21-season-ends-early/

Can’t say I’ve heard anything about the EFL but would be very odd if they behaved differently to the top tier. 

Really hope we get to carry on but it has to be a possibility that we will run into trouble. Quite a number of lower division fixtures getting called off.

• Thanks 1

oh dear

here's a clue

Tottenham is in London

London is now in tier 4

guess what is happening at White Hart Lane in 15 mins time ?

Now, rather ironically, with the new rules and hopefully fewer breaches I would say there is less chance of the season being scrapped.  

Basically there's no chance of elite sport being cancelled. At the very worst the season might be extended slightly to make room for completing postponed fixtures, but it's much more likely that the games will simply be squeezed in. 

Post - Christmas there are actually several slots where fixtures could be placed. If you look at NCFC's fixture list, you could add fixtures in as follows and still retain no more than two games per week. :

- 5th Jan, 12th Jan, 26th Jan, 2nd Feb, 9th Feb, 9th Mar, 13th Apr, 27th Apr, 4th May. 

That's space for 9 postponed fixtures to be placed. 

14 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Basically there's no chance of elite sport being cancelled. At the very worst the season might be extended slightly to make room for completing postponed fixtures, but it's much more likely that the games will simply be squeezed in. 

Post - Christmas there are actually several slots where fixtures could be placed. If you look at NCFC's fixture list, you could add fixtures in as follows and still retain no more than two games per week. :

- 5th Jan, 12th Jan, 26th Jan, 2nd Feb, 9th Feb, 9th Mar, 13th Apr, 27th Apr, 4th May. 

I can´t see an option for extending PL, due to Euro 21

EFL possibly, but no more than a week or two

39 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Good point but I’m guessing some of those are held over for internationals and cup games? 

The question is around games being postponed due to clubs or officials testing positive . The silly (and not unexpected) nonsense from City 1st above about the areas the games take place in is entirely irrelevant . If too many games get postponed there wouldn’t be time to play the matches? One positive test in League 1 has potentially taken out three games . 

This would be where the contingency plan (if there is one) would kick in. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

There’s definite midweek possibilities in the new year and into March-April for games to be caught up - given that, it’s a bit odd that we had quite such a gruelling fun of games from mid-November up to yesterday (9 in 28 days, I believe).  I suppose there is a need to allow space for cup-induced postponements, but even so, we’ve come out of the run astoundingly well with 22pts in the 9 games.

Maybe they were told the virus transmission could be much worse in winter, and there is the possibility of weather induced postponements and extra injuries playing on weather affected pitches. So IMO front loading fixtures made sense.and if they do call off the season more games have been played for tv contracts 😞

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s definite midweek possibilities in the new year and into March-April for games to be caught up - given that, it’s a bit odd that we had quite such a gruelling fun of games from mid-November up to yesterday (9 in 28 days, I believe).  I suppose there is a need to allow space for cup-induced postponements, but even so, we’ve come out of the run astoundingly well with 22pts in the 9 games.

Yes, and bearing in the mind the schedule they all played at the end of last season I’m guessing there is a strong chance the season will be finished. 

It does seem though that as far as the EFL  is concerned the answer to the question is No! Rick Parry was prob still trying to get parachute payments abolished than look at the real issues . 

To be honest I have no idea about the future of anything. These are uncertain times like we've never known before. The virus is unpredictable as we have found out this weekend. It could mutate again. I now take each day as it comes and make no plans beyond that.

• Like 1

The clues are in what happened this season. The TV money is way too important for the season not to complete. Since the virus recedes in the summer, games will be played n an extended season

13 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The clues are in what happened this season. The TV money is way too important for the season not to complete. Since the virus recedes in the summer, games will be played n an extended season

Does it?  hope you are right

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

To be honest I have no idea about the future of anything. These are uncertain times like we've never known before. The virus is unpredictable as we have found out this weekend. It could mutate again. I now take each day as it comes and make no plans beyond that.

I hope you'd done your Christmas shopping before deciding on that approach Nutty? Otherwise you could be in for a panic on the 25th.

15 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

That just wont happen, unless UEFA decide to can Euro 2020 completely.  The fixtures will have to be completed prior to the tournament otherwise there will be teams that are decimated by the Euros and it will make a material difference to the outcome of the Premier League and probably the Championship too.

If we get to May and there are a significant amount of games still to be played then the PL/EFL have to either squeeze everything in before the Euros or accept a curtailed season.  To be honest I think it's astounding that the Championship and Premier League have been relatively unaffected so far.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I hope you'd done your Christmas shopping before deciding on that approach Nutty? Otherwise you could be in for a panic on the 25th.

I knew there was something....

Oh well, I've yet to decide what to do this evening🙃

Boris told me what I could plan for last week and then totally changed it two days later. There's four days til Christmas 🎄and over 150 days before these Euros we're talking about. Despite the best efforts of the best minds in the country they now say the virus is out of control. We're not in control. We never were. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

That just wont happen, unless UEFA decide to can Euro 2020 completely.  The fixtures will have to be completed prior

To be honest I think it's astounding that the Championship and Premier League have been relatively unaffected so far.

That’s my understanding- we have an immovable end of season tournament so the leagues cannot be extended . 

I don’t understand the higher prevalence of positive  / game postponing  results in league 1 and 2 and very few in the champs? The players aren’t in bubbles - I watch the City players all turn up at CR in their own cars , get on a bus and drive off for pre match whatever’s . 

If EFL don’t have a contingency then they blinking well should after the fiasco last year. 

How can you plan for months in advance? The immovable end of season tournament is only as immovable as it was last summer. We don't have certainties like that anymore. Plans are changed weekly, sometimes daily.

Long Covid seems to be becoming a real issue with professional sportsmen, could well push associations towards making some difficult decisions.

"Newcastle will be without winger Allan Saint-Maximin and captain Jamaal Lascelles who are both suffering from the long-term effects of coronavirus."