Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

"Inside Left" and "Inside Right"

Is it time to re-introduce those good old-fashioned labels "inside left" and "inside right"? Seems to me they perfectly describe the positions occupied by Cantwell and Buendia. They clearly don't operate as traditional wingers, Sorensen and Aarons perform that role as wing backs (it was notable yesterday that Skipp and McClean were frequently to the rear of those two allowing them to operate in that role).

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Is it time to re-introduce those good old-fashioned labels "inside left" and "inside right"? Seems to me they perfectly describe the positions occupied by Cantwell and Buendia. They clearly don't operate as traditional wingers, Sorensen and Aarons perform that role as wing backs (it was notable yesterday that Skipp and McClean were frequently to the rear of those two allowing them to operate in that role).

They highlighted similar for Liverpool yesterday with Henderson dropping back to plug any holes that TAA or Robertson created with their forward runs. If it's good enough for Liverpool.....

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

(it was notable yesterday that Skipp and McClean were frequently to the rear of those two allowing them to operate in that role).

It has taken long enough for them to realise this was required.  If it had been part of tactics last year, we would not have got relegated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It has taken long enough for them to realise this was required.  If it had been part of tactics last year, we would not have got relegated.

That’s all we had to do to stay up ? If only someone else had noticed ....😜

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

That’s all we had to do to stay up ? If only someone else had noticed ....😜

Yeah  Cmon Franko   , any of the experts  on here could have done a better job than  DF.

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I mean I think that might be a bit of a stretch. In reality we tried to do that often last year but the pace, power and strength of the teams we were up against enabled them to either catch us out of position when countering us- or simply they had the quality to drive through the middle anyway.

Anyway, getting back to the present day, it seems we have now consolidated a clear plan A and plan B. Plan A involves utilising an inside left and inside right and predominately playing through the middle. Plan B when required involves traditional wing play relying on the speed of Placheta, Hernandez, Martin, and Hugill in the middle to get on the end of crosses.

I wonder how much our improved defensive performance this season (as opposed to last promotion season) is down to a tweak in tactics, changed personnel,  or just better performances. We certainly seem to be more solid this year.

12 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

I wonder how much our improved defensive performance this season (as opposed to last promotion season) is down to a tweak in tactics, changed personnel,  or just better performances. We certainly seem to be more solid this year.

No doubt it's a combination of all those things. As the season has progressed it seems all the players know exactly what is expected of them, and perform their roles with great skill and intensity. Add to that the X factor of a team clearly enjoying their football and on a massive high through winning so many games, and I think you have your explanation of why we're top of the league. 

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

No doubt it's a combination of all those things. As the season has progressed it seems all the players know exactly what is expected of them, and perform their roles with great skill and intensity. Add to that the X factor of a team clearly enjoying their football and on a massive high through winning so many games, and I think you have your explanation of why we're top of the league. 

Yes, hence my question how much? I guess the tactics and discipline at CDM (Skipp in particular) account for a larger percentage than anything else. In any case, it's good to see!

12 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Yes, hence my question how much? I guess the tactics and discipline at CDM (Skipp in particular) account for a larger percentage than anything else. In any case, it's good to see!

I agree, I think Skipp has gone about his duties exceptionally well, so much so that he is seldom remarked upon because he makes so few mistakes. I think it's also noticeable that when a player is caught out of position there always seems to be someone covering the gap they've left. There is an exceptional team discipline at the moment that has become really evident in the last couple of games in which we have seen out games with very few alarms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Our defensive improvement is down solely to the fact that we are in the Championship. Two years ago there was a bit of a gap between the divisions but it's turned into a chasm. You simply can't compare the two. I love watching this team but the simple fact is that if we were in the Premier League we would be near the bottom. 

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Our defensive improvement is down solely to the fact that we are in the Championship. Two years ago there was a bit of a gap between the divisions but it's turned into a chasm. You simply can't compare the two. I love watching this team but the simple fact is that if we were in the Premier League we would be near the bottom. 

I nearly added the 4th option that our opponents are simply not as good but I don't think that if this is a factor (which is quite likely) it is as significant as the others I mentioned. I would love the hear other (Parma?) opinions on this.. 

2 hours ago, Taiwan Canary said:

I nearly added the 4th option that our opponents are simply not as good but I don't think that if this is a factor (which is quite likely) it is as significant as the others I mentioned. I would love the hear other (Parma?) opinions on this.. 

It is the only factor. Take your blinkers off and watch a Premier League team. Fulham, for example, would destroy us at the moment 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It is the only factor. Take your blinkers off and watch a Premier League team. Fulham, for example, would destroy us at the moment 

Did you read my original post? I was comparing 2 seasons ago, not last season.  However, even compared with last season,  I feel that we might perform better in the prem with our current personnel,  cdm set up than we did last year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

Did you read my original post? I was comparing 2 seasons ago, not last season.  However, even compared with last season,  I feel that we might perform better in the prem with our current personnel,  cdm set up than we did last year.

Dream on. We need to spend £50m + to have a chance of finishing 17th. We don't have that sort of money. 

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Dream on. We need to spend £50m + to have a chance of finishing 17th. We don't have that sort of money. 

What a miseryguts you are!

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What..............like Man City did ??

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Perhaps you would care to review our CB situation last year & compare it to any other team's, now or then, & reflect upon it.

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We might have a lot more than that when offers come in for Emi in particular. I do hope that if promoted all the top players want to stay but that’s not going to happen. 

I think the FBs being so high is a mjor reason we got relegated. The space in behind them was continually exploited with CDMs being pulled across, then leaving more space in the middle. Prem teams were very adept at a higher speed and skill level to exploit this naivety. This season I don 't think the FBs have been quite as gung ho, but as has been pointed out (1) skipp has been an upgrade so better able to cover, also Rupp when fit, and (2) I agree the quality of opposition has been poorer than 2 years ago and teams defend deeper against us much of the time, so less pressure on the defence.

• Like 1