Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Cardiff

Other than the small number of people marching down King St, It was almost like old times walking across Carrow Bridge to the match this morning. It was even more so when I got to my seat and found I was very close to where I had my first ever season ticket seat, almost level with the penalty area at the Barclay End. This was my second game of the season and everything seemed to be handled safely and efficiently by the stewards.

On a bright winter afternoon it was City kicking off towards the River End facing a low dazzling sun. The opening moments were fairly quiet until City sprung forward on the right earning a corner that came to nothing. Cardiff then applied a bit of pressure chiefly through a couple of long throws and corners that City dealt with comfortably.

Once City settled they began to make chances and Cantwell was only foiled by a good block. Minutes later the same player found space to play Pukki in at the right of the box. The City talisman looked odds on to open the scoring and I was already out of my seat as the ball flashed past the keeper and just the wrong side of the far post.

Cardiff's best moments were from set pieces and we gave them a few too many early on in my opinion. Mcgovern had to be alert as he clutched a header right on the line  and then Sorensen did brilliantly to head away a dangerous inswinging corner. There was little doubt that the home side had the edge however and they deservedly broke the deadlock after 25 minutes when Buendia latched onto McLeans pass and shimmied into space before crashing a low 20 yarder past Smithies despairing right hand.

The visitors responded with some strong play down the wings and began to trouble City with high balls into the box. The fussy ref, Mr. Robinson was heartily booed for a few decisions that went the wrong way and a free kick on the City left gave Harry Wilson a decent opportunity from 20 yards. Thankfully it wasn't one of his best and flashed well wide. There was then a very hairy moment when McGovern had to make a fine reaction save from a close range header but we needn't have worried as the flag was already up for offside.

Buendia seemed to be enjoying himself and a sweeping ball from the right gave Sorensen a headed chance that went narrowly wide and just before the break Buendia presented Cantwell with a great chance, his shot beat Smithies but a defender was in the right place to save the day.

A very satisfactory half with City playing some delightful stuff in midfield while Hanley and Zimmerman handled the big physical Cardiff forwards fairly comfortably.

The game should have been put to bed within ten minutes of the restart but Pukkii proved he is only human with a couple of rather lame attempts. First he picked up a bad back pass and was one on one with the Cardiff keeper only to disappointly lob well wide. Then a lovely ball from the City left seemed tailor made for the City striker to despatch only for an abysmal first touch to allow the ball to run away from him and make Smithies favourite to collect.

Cardiff huffed and puffed a bit but Hanley and Zimmerman were rarely troubled in the centre while Sorensen and Aarons did the business on the flanks. It needed a second goal to calm the nerves however and it should have come when a nice move gave Vrancic an opportunity from near the penalty spot only for his shot to go wide. On another day we could have been for or five ahead by now but the nerves were eventually steadied on 70 minutes when City stormed forward and a slick move allowed Cantwell space to leather a rising drive past Smithies to double the lead. Buendia might well have had another when some bewildering play inside the area saw him strke an effort inches wide into the side netting but in truth Cardiff looked well beaten at this stage.

Stiepermann and Dowell came on for Vrancic and Buendia and the Hugill and Tetty for Pukki and Aarons as City played out time with little danger.

Lovely to be back again at CR before Xmas and the most comfortable 2-0 win you could wish for. Honestly, it really could have been six or seven had Teemu brought his shooting boots. I don't want to tempt fate but we really do look the business and I expect us to go all the way again this season.

Buendia superb, Cantwell getting back to his best, Hanley a giant at the back, who could want a better Xmas present.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the report, just like old times! Good to see you getting to games and able to give us those valuable first hand accounts of the action - makes it all the more real for those that can't go to CR at the moment.  I think the McGovern save was important because it was clear on the tv that the header was from someone onside, it was the next Cardiff player that touched it that was offside, so if not for the great save, the goal would have stood. Looked a fantastic save.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Thanks for the report, just like old times! Good to see you getting to games and able to give us those valuable first hand accounts of the action - makes it all the more real for those that can't go to CR at the moment.  I think the McGovern save was important because it was clear on the tv that the header was from someone onside, it was the next Cardiff player that touched it that was offside, so if not for the great save, the goal would have stood. Looked a fantastic save.

I can't wait to be back in my normal seat with a full house.

Please let it happen this season.👍

you may have to make do with the open top bus parade

still......................................... it will make for a nice Easter 😁

• Haha 1

The save counted from McGovern, as the offside was for the Cardiff player who picked up the rebound.

McGovern's close-range reflexes are superb for a keeper of his age.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

His age? He's only 36. Still prime time for a goalie.

Depends on the keeper, and McGovern's had a long career, not to mention plenty of international matches. Think it's fair to say he may be slightly on the slide as an overall package.

After a bit of an odd first 4 or so games we really seem to be hitting our stride! No doubt we will lose a couple more as football tends to do, but you have to say if we keep this up with players still to come back, you'd have to fancy us to be right up there at the end.