Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Fred

Cardiff = Anti Football

So glad we stuffed them today

its been a while since I have watched a team huff the ball up constantly 

the cynical fouling and complete lack of talent in the midfield was very frustrating to watch

glad I don’t have to watch them every week 

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

the cynical fouling and complete lack of talent in the midfield was very frustrating to watch

Good goal from todd too

Assume you enjoyed it

Agree Uncle Fred. They had very little ambition. Very disappointing to watch that each week.

That said, how well did we defend. No average performances today. Todd, Emi, Olly all showed how to approach a match.

Yet last season there were some who wish we would get Warnock or Pulis in to keep us in the prem! 

Some superb football from us today. A genuine class apart.

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Beats me why Wilson went there. 

Im sure he'd much rather be with us , but would he get much game time?

I think that’s a little harsh. They’ve come to the top team in the league, who are on fire in the form tables since October, knowing they’re no way near as good... they’re not going to try and out play us, are they? Their game plan was to stay tight and defend. Once we scored, they had to chase more and fell apart.

I had a look on their forums and their fans were quite complimentary to how we play at the moment. We’re now destroying teams home and away. Including teams in the top half of the league.

I thought they at least tried to give us a game to be fair, they just couldn't handle us. Plenty of other teams have come here and played more anti football, in all honesty. 

• Like 3

I think people are being very harsh, as thought they did ok with what they have - and bearing in mind they have guys out.  It isn’t really for me but not everyone has the decent ‘footballing’ players that we do and have to do fit what suits.  Tbh they were more adventurous and less defensive than some we’ve played.  

Some serious diving went on, and worst of all was the defender collapsing to the ground clutching his face when Buendia's arm made no contact with it. Cheating in an attempt to get a player sent off is the lowest of the low.

Nonsense. We forced them to play that way by pressing and defending really well on the front foot. At least they actually attacked and tried to get into our box. Of course, we should really have scored a couple or three more goals. We are simply a level above Cardiff.

Brum and Derby were far more anti football imho. These guys have a taller more physical team than us, just the sort that used to bully us, hence the hoofball to play to their strengths.

They gave it a go and were not out of it until Todd scored though that was largely down to us not  converting the many good chances we had. Also was good to see us support Pukki who had a bit of a mare I think by his standards. Understable though he had far more important things on his mind.

Have to say I can't stand Neil Harris, going back to the 4-3 win over Millwall a couple of seasons ago. Never heard a manager come out with so much crap both before and after a game. 

No doubting how effective that style of football can be, but I'm very happy we have a head coach who insists of playing the polar opposite of it.

I disagree. They gave it a go and credit to them for that. I don't care what style of football they play, at least they didn't put 10 men across the box to try and keep the score down. I'd rather watch them than some of the dross that we've played recently. 

In defence of Cardiff, Birmingham, Millwall, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and anyone else who has come to Carrow Road this season:

We're probably the best team in the division, aside from maybe Brentford, Bournemouth and Watford with whom we are more or less on a par, so it wouldn't be wise for visiting clubs to come here and play the same way we do because we're better at it than they are so we'd win. In order to get something out of us, they have to out-think us, out-muscle us or get lucky.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

So he could be thoroughly outclassed by Emi and Todd when he played against us. Obviously.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Im sure he'd much rather be with us , but would he get much game time?

Well, he could warm the bench when Shemi is injured I suppose?

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Said the same. Decent player - mostly in the team to take free kicks and corners.must drive him nuts.

His frustration should have earned him a red on Todd at the end - that was a stonewall VAR red. 

I honestly don't like the anti-football argument for teams who play long balls forwards. I wouldn't want to see Norwich play like that usually, but its better than being beaten week in week out trying to defeat clearly more talented footballing sides. 

For me it's just one way that teams with limited resources can compete, it's a legitimate tactic which evens up football.

Let's be honest as well, without teams playing like that, leagues would be a lot more predictable and I'd certainly miss the contest between skillful sides that play it on the ground and the team with a big target man who lump it forwards. 

Now the 10 men behind the ball approach is a different matter...

• Like 1

I watch ed the Preston v Brizzle match last night and that is now three teams I've seen in less than 24 hours who let the keeper punt up the pitch more than playing endlessly from the back.

And the reason is their players are not as comfortable on the ball. All of our players are expected to play two touch football and one touch if possible

It wasn't Cardiffs fault today because their players haven't the skill to match what we do.

Cardiff played like a team who were missing their main focal point in Kieffer Moore, and thought Glatzel could replace him as he has a similar physical stature, although he's not remotely as aggressive as Moore and is not really a target man. I thought Neil Harris had a refreshing and honest conference afterwards where he straight-up admitted it was a game too far for his charges.

They came and had a go, but you could see recent exertions catching up with them.

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Milwall were far worse than these

• Like 1

Lets remember that a team as good as us is going to make a lot of teams look like turgid dross.

They might look alright against Preston or Birmingham. 

13 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

Brum and Derby were far more anti football imho. These guys have a taller more physical team than us, just the sort that used to bully us, hence the hoofball to play to their strengths.

They gave it a go and were not out of it until Todd scored though that was largely down to us not  converting the many good chances we had. Also was good to see us support Pukki who had a bit of a mare I think by his standards. Understable though he had far more important things on his mind.

Not sure if everybody's aware ! Pukki's wife gave birth to a baby girl at 6am yesterday  morning - so lack of sleep was the main contributor to those missed chances.  Neil Harris was looking for a bit of luck  - Cardiff did have that luck yesterday - it would 've been a massacre if Pukki had not been up all night.

• Thanks 3

Thanks six. I alluded to it in my post but fair that not all would be aware. Congrats to Mr  and Mrs Pukki on the birth of their daughter. What a beautiful early Christmas present for them both.

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

Nonsense. We forced them to play that way by pressing and defending really well on the front foot. At least they actually attacked and tried to get into our box. Of course, we should really have scored a couple or three more goals. We are simply a level above Cardiff.

You can't beat getting into the box.