Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Today's injury news- Xavi back in training, Krul not yet fully fit or ready to start

'Xavi Quintilla is back in individual training. If all goes well he could be back to team training on Tuesday'

'Tim Krul isn't available. We were sure he would he ready for the Cardiff game but hes still symptomatic. 98 percent of his body is ready to go but it doesn't make sense to take a risk'

'Kieran Dowells data on Wednesday was good but he was exhausted afterwards. We have to he careful with him but it's great to have him back'

And that seems to be it. Shame about krul but hey given how much Mcgovern has shined in the last two fair for him to get another go. That and let's be honest fair to not risk Krul if he's not ready for it don't want to risk him getting injured again and being out even longer, so pretty sensible from Farke and the medical team

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Was great to see Dowell and Cantwell come back in and that's encouraging news on Quintilla. No point risking Krul if he's still feeling some pain, McGovern is getting into the groove and doing his bit. 

I'm probably tempting fate here but I'd much rather have players rested and available for Watford. I really don't think it makes sense to risk anyone given the number of games to come and how threadbare we look. 

Before anyone points this out, yes I know we are top, but this situation can't go on much longer before some players show some serious fatigue, even if it has been well managed and players have done well to step up.

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We're back to weekly games now for a bit so you'd expect the players to be getting a bit more rest.

And hopefully therefore less muscle-related injuries etc.

I would hope that Cantwell will start tomorrow, and with that news about Dowell, it sounds like he may well be on the bench again, but when they are all fit, to have a frontline of Pukki, Emi, Cantwell and Dowell, looks mouthwatering.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We're back to weekly games now for a bit so you'd expect the players to be getting a bit more rest.

Hadn't realized that. Only four games in 4 weeks, up to and including Cardiff (A) on 16th Jan, after tomorrow. Phew! Everything crossed, the injury crisis will be firmly behind us by then.

Personally I would like to see Mario in for Marco, and Todd in for Josh Martin (who hasn't played enough games to be called by just his first name yet 🙂 ) tomorrow, but would understand if the manager decided to leave Marco in. 

Krul was groin wasn’t he, always seems to be the injury where players are “almost there” but ends up lasting for months. Bad injury for a keeper

Would bring in Cantwell for Martin and Vrancic for Stiepermann. Had Dowell been fully fit I’d have started him for Stiepermann, although I think he might still come on for the last 20 mins or so

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Krul was groin wasn’t he, always seems to be the injury where players are “almost there” but ends up lasting for months. Bad injury for a keeper

Think it was his calf

Possibly Tettey for McClean too. He was good the other night but that was his first game in a while.

it would also be good to give Hudgil a good run out tomorrow. Wouldn’t it be lovely to actually have a comfortable victory, no chance I know! 

5 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I would hope that Cantwell will start tomorrow, and with that news about Dowell, it sounds like he may well be on the bench again, but when they are all fit, to have a frontline of Pukki, Emi, Cantwell and Dowell, looks mouthwatering.

Imagine when we have that front 4 plus hernandez and placheta to come off the bench to go at a tiring defence in the last 15-20 mins

Good news about Quintilla. Sorenson has been excellent but a natural left-back in that position will give us another dimension going forward, as well as obviously a defender in a defensive position.

I personally would stick with McLean alongside Skipp, but would also bring Cantwell in for Martin. Even though Stiepermann was pretty poor against Reading during the week, I'd also keep him in the side for this one. Vrancic offers so much more when he's played deeper alongside Skipp or Tettey, and always feels like he's a bit shoehorned into the side when he's a number 10, so I think he'd be better as an impact sub for this one. Plus, on paper, Cantwell, Stiepermann, Buendia and Pukki is a fantastic front four. 

I have to be honest, McGovern being in goal for this one worries me. Cardiff have scored more goals from set-pieces than any other side in the league, so it's likely their attack will consist of dangerous deliveries into our box, particularly from corners and free-kicks, something that McGovern very rarely deals with convincingly.

Edited by Pukki Blinders

Is Rupp back?

It would be great to have him and Skipp start today if he is ready. They have forged a partnership and I think McLean is ideal to come on to close out a game. However his opportunities may be limited if xavi is coming back then Sorenson will be fighting, rightly so, to play that central midfield role.