Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So provided we gain promotion again- What kind of realistic proven signings could we make?

My definition of 'realistic' and 'proven Premier Leauge player'

- Has played regularly in the Prem for at least one or two seasons, and has been in a team that has avoided relegation with said players help/not been relegated

-Would cost around ten to fifteen million or less

-On wages around or less than thirty thousand a week

Not sure everyone would agree with these, but it's more of my own loose idea of what I think a kind of signing we could make.

But what kind of players out there fit those kind of terms? Anybody got any names? Any ideas?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Generally speaking, it's very difficult to find any player who has achieved your first requirement that earns less than £30k a week.

Dan Burn says hello

I wouldn’t expect there to be any significant outlay on players because of:

recouping of covid related income losses

payment of promotion bonuses

significant increase in player wages

Farke’s preference for giving youg players an opportunity to progress

To be able to spend large sums we would probably need to generate sums from player sales. There seems little point in selling your best players just to finance  transfers for players who might not be as good as the ones we let go.

Experienced players at reasonable cost usually means older players and due diligence would be needed to identify players whoi still have a keen desire for the game like Tim Krul, Martin Peters and Mike Channon rather than those looking for a last good payday.

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

I wouldn’t expect there to be any significant outlay on players because of:

recouping of covid related income losses

payment of promotion bonuses

significant increase in player wages

Farke’s preference for giving youg players an opportunity to progress

To be able to spend large sums we would probably need to generate sums from player sales. There seems little point in selling your best players just to finance  transfers for players who might not be as good as the ones we let go.

Experienced players at reasonable cost usually means older players and due diligence would be needed to identify players whoi still have a keen desire for the game like Tim Krul, Martin Peters and Mike Channon rather than those looking for a last good payday.

I would be inclined to agree, especially with regards to the Covid hole except for a couple of reasons: The first being the sale of Ben and Jamal, that coupled with parachute payments would see the covid issue completely spoken for in the even of a promotion. With the promotion bonus payments, yes that would burn a hole.. except this time around we wouldn't have the 30 million or so debt to pay too (and unlike last time we have money in the bank to cover Covid etc). But most of all I think Webbers post season interview was very telling, he spoke of how he had to take responsibility for two poor windows and how he had sent Farke out there with a rifle against tanks, or words to that effect. Whilst that by no means would see us dropping 20-30 million on one player, its more likely to us try and go for that next step up; those 10-15 million rated youngsters from france etc. 

I'd say the most likely ones would be players like Sorensen and Placheta again. Young players who have looked good in a top division, albeit in a less powerful top division compared to the Premiership, where their character indicates they would fit in well with us and look like they are ready to make the next step.

Alternatively, similar to Rupp - a pretty proven top-flight performer with quality teams within that division for years who had lost his way a bit through injury. I would like to see Farke pull off a classic Allardyce freebie move of an older player who's still hungry to do well as they could also be wonderful for younger players to learn from, but it may not be part of the concept, or indeed their wages could be too high.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't know how anyone can be thinking of next season yet, when we are not even half way towards the end of this one. Long way to go yet.

I seem to remember someone saying we could win the Premier League in August last year. 

• Haha 2

It’ll be a damn sight harder with EU restrictions on players we would be looking to buy, would we be able to sign Sorensen under Brexit?

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I seem to remember someone saying we could win the Premier League in August last year. 

If you are in any league, you aim high. You might not get there, but aiming for the top is a heck of a better strategy than aiming for 17th place which is what plenty of people seemed to want to do last year.

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you are in any league, you aim high. You might not get there, but aiming for the top is a heck of a better strategy than aiming for 17th place which is what plenty of people seemed to want to do last year.

Doesn’t look so bad now though does it?

• Like 2

Is there anyone in a Gibson like or similar state? That’s the only sort of signing I could see from the PL.

We got the signings wrong last time, assuming we go up keep the same approach to recruitment that’s worked the last few years.

Unproven talent from abroad and lower leagues that’s worth a punt, players that had injuries and or have been out of favour but have previous top level success and experience.

Only caveat to that is Covid, going to be another round of contracts expiring this summer and clubs cutting cloth, may be a bargain or two to be had.

I think we will spend more than we have previously. 3/4 players in 5-12 million range.

But we won’t be signing any peak proven prem players - they will cost too much. It’s not our style at all. Why would someone from a mid-table side join us for less money and less stability? Only if they are out of favour.

Any players from the prem we sign will be rejects/youth players we hope we can help develop. They can hopefully cut it on the prem but won’t be proven.

4 hours ago, Indy said:

It’ll be a damn sight harder with EU restrictions on players we would be looking to buy, would we be able to sign Sorensen under Brexit?

Believe not. No Emi, no Pukki.Loads of our Webber signings, in fact.

Does open up non-EU markets more though.

Edited by kirku

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don't know how anyone can be thinking of next season yet, when we are not even half way towards the end of this one. Long way to go yet.

I bet Stuart Webber will be, and Farke.

Last time we were promoted Webber talked about the targets they had in January, both for if we remained in the championship or if we were to get promoted. With January coming up any potential moves will be partly assessed on which league we will be playing in next season.

Stating the bloomin’ obvious that there’s a long way to go is ok, but it’s all about looking ahead. For the bosses at the club it’s essential, for the fans it’s exciting times. I know there’s a long way to go and better teams than us have messed things up with so many points to play for, but the OP is an interesting question and worthy of discussion on a ‘discussion’ forum. 

I don’t know how anyone can’t be thinking of next season yet.

• Like 1

Personally speaking, we should look to strengthen in January, a couple of quality significant signings to make sure we do go all the way to promotion once again. 
If we achieve this , the board have got to give DF a chance next time with at least a  30 million budget, plus a couple of loans .. 

Provided we keep the players we have then perhaps we just need a little bit more experience in key areas. Someone at the back to provide a step up in quality would be the most important signing I'd say and possibly the hardest to get right. Perhaps Akin Famewo will end up being that guy but if not.

I'd like Skipp back on loan and another loanee brought in up top/out wide to ease the load on Pukki. 

I think we would desperately need another striker, no idea who though.

Is always worth looking at the clubs that get relegated to see who might want to stay in the Prem. 

7 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I'd like Skipp back on loan and another loanee brought in up top/out wide to ease the load on Pukki. 

The loan market will definitely play a major part in how the club would access affordable known premier league talent, as per OP question. Can imagine top 6 being happy for a youngster like Skipp or some perennial benchwarmer to come into a Farke ball side.

Added bonus from their perspective: learning to deal with more defeats than otherwise, whilst not actually at risk of relegation personally. 

Yes we don’t like loanees, for good reason, but... they may be essential alongside our own youngsters while we’re on this financial trajectory

IF we were to get promoted

Edited by GenerationA47
IF

59 minutes ago, Forestofdeancanary said:

I'd push the boat out to sign Ivan Toney if Brentford don't get promoted.  The lad looks the real deal 

Would he be happy being benched over Pukki is the question 

• Like 1

I am not an Ivan Toney fan, strange to say. Remember his unsuccessful stint at Newcastle? Maybe I am wrong, but I think he is flattering to deceive. I saw him at Peterborough at the beginning of the year and he loves being top dog a little bit too much for me. It sort of put me off him.

In the last few years there have been stars-in-waiting littered around the Championship. A couple of years ago Adama Traore appeared at Carrow Road for Middlesborough and although Jamal Lewis had him in his pocket, you could see the strength and potential. I saw Neil Maupay for Brentford at Ipswich (spit!) and again you just knew he would be able to do his thing at Prem level.  Just so busy and energetic, with an eye for goal. 

I honestly believe that currently Norwich already have the main two of three potential Prem stars who are currently in the Championship. I haven't seen any other youngsters to match Max, Todd and Emi. 

21 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I honestly believe that currently Norwich already have the main two of three potential Prem stars who are currently in the Championship. I haven't seen any other youngsters to match Max, Todd and Emi. 

Who is the third?

17 minutes ago, daisy said:

Nothing like getting ahead of yourselves, 😕

Fair point & have edited the tense of my post. Good to be kept in check by such comments (& would be hypocrisy not to, in my case)

• Like 1

I thought about Kieran Gibbs, he played for England, but since then has been a steady performer, great experience.   I guess it depends how hungry he still is, and how WBA do this season.

We should be looking at the very best young talents for u23 / loans. We should always be making signings for a couple of years down the road.