Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

What are your memories of the 1985 cup final?

Thought this might be a fun trip to the past for some of our older posters on here.. That penelty save would have been tough even for Krul 😉

Always fun to remember we had to beat Ipswich to get to the final, having been beaten by them 1-0 in the first round only to come back with some fantastic play in the second round to win 2-0 and advance to this final.. Which included a goal from none other than Steve Bruce

Worth noting there were 100,000 in attendence that day to watch the match, which I'm pretty sure classes as our highest ever attendence. And yes it's a joint attendence but you get my point.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Was away living at college in Brighton. Amazingly found another canary and we travelled to London with national Express bus . Stood on the terraces . Remember them announcing Asa Hartford as the goal scorer and my mate had backed him to score - but they changed it to Chisholm own goal and the bookies didn’t pay. 

When Walker missed the pen I think we all knew it was our day. 

Travelled back to Brighton - had a few beers. Sat in a pub in the Town , wearing my Poll Withey shirt and no one took any notice . Outside of East Anglia and the North East absolutely no one gave a monkies about the game . 

On the tube going back   the Sun’land fans were great . To be fair we had murdered them. 

I’ve still got the flag, the shirt and the programme .  

10 years before that I had endured the Villa final as a 9 year old . A more miserable day you couldn’t imagine . 1985 was the antithesis of 1975 for me 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

Early start in the Ford capri. Parked up in North London by 9am....boot up and bar open.

After a few tins we enjoyed an impromptu match against Sunderland lads on the main car park. 

Into the ground for more ale then into the pens...only to discover our tickets were in Sunderland territory. City had the next pen up so some of the lads gave us a leg up and passed the beers up after us.

Fantastic day out. Some things you never forget

Edited by mccanary
Spelling
  • Like 1

Sanders coach, early morning start in a Fakenham car park, flasks, copies of the Sunday People and tightly wrapped packs of cheese sandwiches and hard boiled eggs for as far as the eye can see...

...Red Devil display team pre-match, one of them lands on the stadium roof and rolls off and down onto the concourse outside. Greg Downs, dropped, resplendent in a light grey suit sat at a BBC camera and pretending to film us all behind the goal.

Chris Woods, head in hands when the penalty is given.

Mark Barham;s volley, would have been one of Wembley's better goals if it had gone in. Watching the game on video at home and hearing Barry Davies go "...go on Donowa, go on" -had never heard him sound so partisan!

Getting home late to find my Dad had drawn the goal with stickmen and, underneath, had written, '...how about that, then?'

Got tickets for me and my brother from a mate who was a groundsman at Watford-presumably this was from the allocation that all clubs used to get for cup finals and nobody else was interested in Norwich v Sunderland!

Don’t remember much about the match, but I do remember walking back to Wembley Park with other Norwich fans in almost complete silence and being told by a Sunderland fan to “Cheer up, you won”.

The most memorable part of the day for me was going to a friend’s 18th birthday party in the evening.

My 3rd League Cup final at Wembley.  I travelled back to Attleborough to my mum's and went down with her on the coach she organised.  Unremarkable journey down apart from noticing the hordes heading in the same direction. Stood to the right hand side of the goal in which the winner was scored.  Sang a lot, and as others said, when Walkers penalty didn't go in we knew it was our day.  So much better than the previous two times.

After the match remember a Sunderland fan coming on our coach to congratulate us.  He was surprised how quiet we all were, and it struck us then that for many of us, we were in shock - Norwich just didn't win cup finals!  As always on London away days, stopped in Newmarket at the pub we usually visited, winding up a few binner locals!  Ah the satisfaction.  Then back to Attleborough and a visit to a few pubs to top it off. 

Then woke up next day to realise it had not been a dream!

Edited by shefcanary

Went down the day before, for a pre-match night out. Just as well, car engine blew up on M11 as the conrod went straight through the sump. Recovery truck dropped us at the station and we trained in. Good night out, but can't remember much about the game at all (Bruce's SF header sticks more in the memory). Fair number of Sunderland in the Norwich end. Duncan Forbes, a true gent, let us on the football special (remember them} at Liverpool St for free.

The comments about how quiet we were are so true . You can hear the Sunderland fans when Watson gets the cup - but as has been said we were stunned . City didn’t win Cups and Wembley hadn’t been a happy place for us. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Drove down with my girlfriend and a mate. When Sunderland got the penalty, I was almost resigned that we were going on to lose (normal for a Norwich fan!). Game a bit of a blur and had to see the highlights some time later to appreciate what actually went on. Can remember the Sunderland fans afterwards congratulating us

I've cried 3 times at Norwich games;

1981 Leicester relegation game, thinking it was the end of the World

Wembley 1985 because it was a glorious thing to see my team not only score, but win at Wembley and

Wembley 2015 because even  though I was a lot older, I had had a real sheite 2015 up to that point, and this was an almighty pick me up  as well as being a glorious thing to see my team not only score, but win at Wembley 🙂 

Yes, the thing about us all being rather quiet at the end.

As we filed out, someone shouted out something along the lines that we'd just won at Wembley and should be making a lot more noise.

The old boy in front of me just went "Hmph" in response before adding, "i just want to git hum'

Club Canary to Wembley with other half & son aged 4.
Some family questioned that he was going to the final(he was a season ticket holder & been to a few away games), I knew there would be absolutely no problem with the Sunderland fans. Main memory pre match of walking up & down Wembley Way with son, wearing City shirt miles to big for him carrying a little city flag. Lost track of how many Sunderland fans stopped to shake his hand, one even tried to tuck him under his arm & take him to the Sunderland end.

Sorry to say i was inebriated.  Drove to Stanmore from Stevenage and found a pub not particularly near Stanmore Tube and had 4 or 5 pints of strong lager.  Then drove to Stanmore to get tube to Wembley.  Don't remember much of the game except winning.  After game finished went back to car and found hemmed in rectified this by pushing cars out of the way by driving back and forth until made space to get out.  Many interested spectators watched this crash fest.  Then got lost and ended up in Luton.  Eventually got home.

1982-5 went to UEA in 1982 drove 4 pals to Leeds to see GB v Australia got drunk again, very drunk.  Drove back to Norwich via Huddersfield nearly crashed numerous times.  But wasn't until Newmarket Rd had accident.

Looks like a right alky with age comes wisdom fortunately.   

29 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Old ? !! How ageist 😁

33 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I remember far more about the semi 😁

Are these two comments linked? 😁😁😁😁

You do well to get a semi - let alone remember it! 

I'm here all week! 

image.gif

• Haha 1

Semi final was a cracking atmos, with Bruce's late header into the Barclay end. I was in the seats at the back of the south stand, as all I could get tickets for. Was an old boy near us whose miniature drinks bottle fell out of his pocket everytime we stood up to watch the action at the other end. He was too old to get down to pick it up, so me and my mate did every time for him! happy & different times 

Final - my first trip to Wembley (which in my opinion was much better that the new stadium - but I accept things need to be updated etc) great to go to the place id seen on the TV so many times. Travelled down on a Easton Counties red double decker, as all the coaches had been booked (Ambassador Travel I think it was called). Coach / bus after coach / bus leaving the bus station. I don't think anyone was left in Norfolk that day! 

My mates dad had suffered a heart attack a few days before the final, so was unable to attend with us, so my dad took his ticket. Mates dad was still in hospital and not allowed any excitement, but I think he listened on the radio! I'm pleased to report that 35 years on, he is still with us too!  

Sitting on a wooden bench for seats, enjoyed the match but was over so very quickly, then disbelief that we had actually won a final. 

Trip back was quite quiet, other than the drone of the Diesel engine! 

I have never (in person) seen my team lose at Wembley, or a final! 

It was a great colourful day out. We did seem to be quiet that day, and I too remember the cheer up, you’ve just won comments afterwards.

For some reason I swapped my standing ticket for a seated ticket (I had stood at the Villa final) I drove down with a few mates who stood and was going to meet up with other mates in the seats.

They arrived very, very late as it was one of their mates that unfortunately had his head out of the window on the train and died.

It was a shocking match mainly remembered for the good natured banter between the two sets of fans.

I still have the program and newspaper cuttings.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

It was a great colourful day out. We did seem to be quiet that day, and I too remember the cheer up, you’ve just won comments afterwards.

For some reason I swapped my standing ticket for a seated ticket (I had stood at the Villa final) I drove down with a few mates who stood and was going to meet up with other mates in the seats.

They arrived very, very late as it was one of their mates that unfortunately had his head out of the window on the train and died.

It was a shocking match mainly remembered for the good natured banter between the two sets of fans.

I still have the program and newspaper cuttings.

Sad to say I had forgotten about that. That poor fan's family and friends will always associate that day with that incident, whilst the rest of us think it was one of the best days of our lives 😞 

• Like 2

Remembering how stark and concrete the old place was, cold, damp, miles from the pitch, it seems light years from the 2015 experience. There was a sense of what an awful match it was and that we didn't play that well, so it wasn't great, amazing to win it, but what sticks in the mind is that at a time when football was full of hooliganism and bad feeling, the two sets of fans were brilliant with each other. At the time, that was the best thing about it.  2015 at Wembley made up for that match in the quality of the way we won it.

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Are these two comments linked? 😁😁😁😁

You do well to get a semi - let alone remember it! 

I'm here all week! 

image.gif

Do I need to borrow Tils laptop ? 😁

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The comments about how quiet we were are so true . You can hear the Sunderland fans when Watson gets the cup - but as has been said we were stunned . City didn’t win Cups and Wembley hadn’t been a happy place for us. 

Also I’ve often wondered how and why there were large blocks of Sunderland in the Norwich end.  There were definitely more of them than us at Wembley that day.

Post match, We stayed at my late ex-sister-in laws boyfriend's flat in Islington, he worked in the restaurant trade and after dinner he opened a bottle of Taylors 1961 Port and it's taste was the equal of winning at Wembley, a memorable day all-round.

• Like 1

Fifteen years after the final I found myself playing in a veterans’ seven a side tournament in Singapore and played against Clive Walker.  I thanked him profusely for missing that penalty, after which he proceeded to run rings round me for the whole match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I also remember leaving the Barclay after beating Ipswich in the semi . It had been mad when Bruce scored , but then I think we were stunned walking along Carrow Road after and didn’t know how to handle this success . We’d been the underdog and it had hurt so much and for so long against that lot . 
I certainly don’t recall large blocks of Sunderland fans in our end at all , maybe the odd one or two Norfolk based fans . 
I missed the goal as I was determined to have two pints at halftime . I can’t believe I did that . Actually, I can . Then spent most of the second half bursting for a p*ss but daring not go unless I missed anything else .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1

I was 12, I went on a coach with Phil Hoadley the ex player as I was at school with his son and he was running a pub at the time. 

I missed the goal as some huge guy in front of me got up just as the shot was hit so I didn't see the goal until the news the next day. 

On the way back to the coach I had my Norwich hat swiped from off the top of my head. 

All in all, weird day 😂

I only had about 8 miles to go to the match as I was living in Hackney (dire place) at the time. Very patchy memory of the whole day. I was a member of Capital Canaries in those days.