Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

Olise cheating last night?

Around the 70 minute mark. He had the ball, Emi tracked back (as he did well all game) in an attempt to tackle him.

Olise jumped into the air screaming like he had been shot.

When the slow motion reply was shown it was clear (well to me anyway) that Emi did NOT make contact with him. Looked to me like a clear case of trying to get an opposition player booked or sent off.

Or do I need to go to Specsavers?

Thoughts please.

2 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Considering the theatrics when Max went down for the penalty after his social bubble had been breached, I would probably let this one go.

Sometimes we benefit, sometimes we don't. I don't particularly like it, but it happens.

Glass houses and all that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Around the 70 minute mark. He had the ball, Emi tracked back (as he did well all game) in an attempt to tackle him.

When the slow motion reply was shown it was clear (well to me anyway) that Emi did NOT make contact with him. Looked to me like a clear case of trying to get an opposition player booked or sent off.

Thoughts please.

Sounds like Aarons when he got the pen 😉

16 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Thoughts please.

He made the most of it! His pained scream could be heard on the TV. I thought he must have been injured badly but he was up in a minute 

Tricky customer but....not so much an end product. Lots of lovely little skills but from a standing still point (therefore ultimately he has to keep doing it again and again and it's easier to defend).

I prefer more dynamic attacking midfielders who pass and move. Olise made their play more static and slowed everything down.

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

He made the most of it! His pained scream could be heard on the TV. I thought he must have been injured badly but he was up in a minute 

Tricky customer but....not so much an end product. Lots of lovely little skills but from a standing still point (therefore ultimately he has to keep doing it again and again and it's easier to defend).

I prefer more dynamic attacking midfielders who pass and move. Olise made their play more static and slowed everything down.

Agreed, but the lad's 19. I think he'll be some player in the next year or two.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Please don’t post any replies one this one.

Thanks.

Message received 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Considering the theatrics when Max went down for the penalty after his social bubble had been breached, I would probably let this one go.

Sometimes we benefit, sometimes we don't. I don't particularly like it, but it happens.

Glass houses and all that.

Try frame by frame starting at 4.02 & then say Max wasn't fouled.

image.png.10369f82b3ed30d7cfc7b315b278f5c8.png

I must admit, watching it last night I felt it was a dive, but having had a closer inspection there probably was the faintest amount of contact.

Did he dive? Absolutely, there wasn't contact anything like enough to make him go down the way he did.

But was it still a foul? Probably.

That said, I would be livid if it was given against us and would be calling the player who went down every name under the sun, whilst acknowledging that the defender who flew in was a little bit silly.

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Try frame by frame starting at 4.02 & then say Max wasn't fouled.

I literally didn't say he wasn't fouled.

I said he performed some incredible theatrics, which he did.

Chill out and read stuff properly.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Max was fouled, end of.
Did he make the most of it? Yes.  Would any (pro or amateur) footballer do the same? Yes.

It’s a 100% penalty be it for or against us.  I can’t understand this weird attitude of some of our supporters that they feel the need to constantly navel-gaze like this.

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

image.png.10369f82b3ed30d7cfc7b315b278f5c8.png

I must admit, watching it last night I felt it was a dive, but having had a closer inspection there probably was the faintest amount of contact.

Did he dive? Absolutely, there wasn't contact anything like enough to make him go down the way he did.

But was it still a foul? Probably.

That said, I would be livid if it was given against us and would be calling the player who went down every name under the sun, whilst acknowledging that the defender who flew in was a little bit silly.

To be fair it was a very reckless and stupid tackle as it is.

Had that tackle properly hit him and wiped him out I could see some refs giving a red for it

9 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

'Incredible theatrics' means your know exactly how badly the foul disturbed his balance. From my experience having your foot checked as you change direction at speed is quite likely to send you flying.

You're putting the worst possible interpretation on Max's reaction rather than say I don't know & giving him the benefit of the doubt. This is something I don't understand.

33 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

My take on it is that Max had skinned him, the defender clipped max, the ref probably heard the " schnuck!"  of contact,  Max helped him make a decision .....the right one.  It was a Pen but I'm not sure Max would  have got it had he not made the most of it  

• Like 1

The foul on Max is a bit of a grey area. It's impossible to say how much of an impact the contact made. It can really hurt having a stud on your toe and it can really put you off balance even if it's just a slight touch. I think VAR would have given that after about 10 minutes of zooming in from different angles.

The Emi 'foul' is different. When you lunge in it's almost always given as a foul these days even if you jump over their leg and there is no contact. I read it as that rather than anything underhand.

On the whole I thought it was more the fans than the players getting on the ref's back. They did seem to think it was a non-contact sport. I actually think it backfired on them though. It was after they started having a go at him for not booking Pukki that the ref became a bit more fair to us; he had seemed quite biassed in their favour to that point.

6 hours ago, ron obvious said:

'Incredible theatrics' means your know exactly how badly the foul disturbed his balance. From my experience having your foot checked as you change direction at speed is quite likely to send you flying.

You're putting the worst possible interpretation on Max's reaction rather than say I don't know & giving him the benefit of the doubt. This is something I don't understand.

Oh come on now. Just LOOK at the reaction to the foul. I've watched, and played enough competitive football to know that isn't anything close to the right reaction for that.

Having your foot 'checked' as you put it, in that fashion does not send you flying anything like that. In fact, his change of direction at the time the tackle came in doesn't even make the foul worse, if anything it slows his momentum making the flying through the air even more over the top.

Also, the clutch of just below the knee is the cherry on top of the dramatic performance.

I like Max a lot, I am glad we got a penalty in a game we deserved to win, I agree it knocked him off balance and I also agree with what was said above that the reaction highlights to the ref that it he WAS touched. But very little about the reaction to that foul is natural in respect to what the foul was.

Whilst I also agree the 'foul' by Emi was a comlelte joke, what I'm saying (as per my original post and point) is that we shouldn't get too wound up about other players taking that opportunity to throw themselves around when everyone INCLUDING Norwich players are also at it. Glass houses.

Honestly, you're trying to find something in my original post that just isn't there my friend.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Honestly, you're trying to find something in my original post that just isn't there my friend.

You accused him of 'incredible theatrics'. If someone's hooked your foot as you push off to change direction then, from my experience, I would say it's quite likely you'd go flying. As for holding his knee, well it wasn't for very long & he may have jarred it on landing; I don't know. And neither do you.

That's what gets me about posters here (& generally) is the degree of certainty about exactly what happens on a football pitch. What's really incredible about this forum is the number of posters willing to actively discredit our players in that sort of situation. I don't think that happens nearly so much with other clubs & I don't understand it.

6 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I can’t understand this weird attitude of some of our supporters that they feel the need to constantly navel-gaze like this.

This!

And for the record, I called foul at the time at normal playback speed and don't see anything in the slo mo to change my mind.

32 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

You accused him of 'incredible theatrics'. If someone's hooked your foot as you push off to change direction then, from my experience, I would say it's quite likely you'd go flying. As for holding his knee, well it wasn't for very long & he may have jarred it on landing; I don't know. And neither do you.

That's what gets me about posters here (& generally) is the degree of certainty about exactly what happens on a football pitch. What's really incredible about this forum is the number of posters willing to actively discredit our players in that sort of situation. I don't think that happens nearly so much with other clubs & I don't understand it.

I really think you're clutching at straws and trying desperately hard to see through yellow and green tinted glasses. They were theatrics, likely for the purpose of the ref to make the right decision, but it's rather difficult to watch the incident and say it wasn't if you're being as impartial as possible.

If the opposition player did that, there would be questions asked. I mean in part it's why this thread exists...

Interesting take on fan mentality though. I find myself thinking that more fans on here than many other places are going out of their way to find things in posts to disagree with, for the sole purpose of disagreeing.

But to each their own, hey?

Honestly, I think you're so far past being able to see my original point now after winding yourself up thinking I was saying something I wasn't.

I genuinely think you're flogging it to save face, to win, to simply not 'lose' in a discussion, maybe even just to yourself, I don't know. But it's a little frustrating now. You win, if you like. I'm going to leave it there and step away.

2 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I really think you're clutching at straws and trying desperately hard to see through yellow and green tinted glasses. They were theatrics, likely for the purpose of the ref to make the right decision, but it's rather difficult to watch the incident and say it wasn't if you're being as impartial as possible.

If the opposition player did that, there would be questions asked. I mean in part it's why this thread exists...

Interesting take on fan mentality though. I find myself that more fans on here than many other places are going out of their way to find things in posts to disagree with, for the sole purpose of disagreeing.

But to each their own, hey?

Honestly, I think you're so far past being able to see my original point now after winding yourself up thinking I was saying something I wasn't.

I genuinely think you're flogging it to save face, to win, to simply not 'lose' in a discussion, maybe even just to yourself, I don't know. But it's a little frustrating now. You win, if you like. I'm going to leave it there and step away.

I've quoted exactly what you said. I just think you're wrong in your certainty. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong, perhaps he exaggerated the effects of the foul, I don't know. My point is that neither do you, & you're indulging in some virtue signalling to demonstrate how wonderfully impartial you are.

When did it become a fault to wear yellow and green glasses when watching Norwich?

I must have missed the memo 👏👏💛💚👏👏

🙃

To defend Max, unfortunately we live in an age where you must go down in order to win a penalty. On that basis, he did exactly the right thing.

I cannot believe our own fans think he dived. Try running/dribbling at speed then taking a whack like that. Max never dives either? Slowing it down makes it look worse other than stopping it to see the contact. Pen every day of the week for me.