Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

I have changed my mind about Emi

A year ago I thought Emi was just a player who would give us a year or 18 months of good performances, and then move on and do the same thing at another club. In Autumn 2019 his performances dipped and Daniel had to drop him. I thought we had seen the best of him. I was so wrong.

Remarkably, after relegation, he is playing like he is a happy man, his technical skills are improving even from an exceptionally high starting point, he is playing unselfishly, and he is a danger man every single game. 

I think it's wonderful and we are lucky to have him. Probably, he is happy domestically with his young family, happy with the club, and happy out on the pitch. Whatever the reasons, he is peaking again. Possibly, his downturn in form last season coincided with the arrival of his new baby, and who could blame him for having a lot on his mind. 

Top sides must have Emi in their sights. He is the solution to any sides who lack creativity. Let's hope we have him at least until the season ends.

I worry about the Arsenal links but he seems happy at the moment and last night showed some good restraint and perhaps that he has learnt a bit from his recent sending off.

That said against Forest I thought he was going to get a red. 

Total championship games played since Emi Buendia arrived is 65 in which we have gained 134 points. 

Emi has started 54 of those games producing 125 points which is 2.4 points per game, equivalent to 107 points in a 46 game season. 

In the 11 games he didn't start we've gained 9 points which is 0.8 points per game equivalent to 37 in a full season. 

With Emi in the team we set a Championship points record. Without him we don't even get enough points to stay up

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Total championship games played since Emi Buendia arrived is 65 in which we have gained 134 points. 

Emi has started 54 of those games producing 125 points which is 2.4 points per game, equivalent to 107 points in a 46 game season. 

In the 11 games he didn't start we've gained 9 points which is 0.8 points per game equivalent to 37 in a full season. 

With Emi in the team we set a Championship points record. Without him we don't even get enough points to stay up

That's an amazing stat, but where did you get it? There were tweets last night saying that last night was his 50th Championship start, and of those 50 he had only been on the losing side three times. Whichever way you slice it, the fella's a borderline demigod.

33 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That's an amazing stat, but where did you get it? There were tweets last night saying that last night was his 50th Championship start, and of those 50 he had only been on the losing side three times. Whichever way you slice it, the fella's a borderline demigod.

I did the maths myself using this site. Feel free to check and correct if I've got it wrong. It is a remarkable statistic but it's noticeable to me that every time he doesn't play the pace of our game drops off alarmingly. How on earth are we going to replace him? 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/emiliano-buendia/leistungsdaten/spieler/321247/saison/2018/plus/1

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I did the maths myself using this site. Feel free to check and correct if I've got it wrong. It is a remarkable statistic but it's noticeable to me that every time he doesn't play the pace of our game drops off alarmingly. How on earth are we going to replace him? 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/emiliano-buendia/leistungsdaten/spieler/321247/saison/2018/plus/1

We said the same thing about replacing Maddison. Buendía is a different kind of player to Maddison, but a similarly unique creative talent. They're out there; it's just a case of finding them and polishing them. Obviously there's a huge premium on getting that decision right; back the wrong horse and you can end up with a side that's largely bereft of creativity. Webber and Farke both know the importance of having that creative genius in the side; they've probably got three or four variables lined up for the summer in case Emi does leave (which I think is likely, even if we are promoted).

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I worry about the Arsenal links but he seems happy at the moment and last night showed some good restraint and perhaps that he has learnt a bit from his recent sending off.

That said against Forest I thought he was going to get a red. 

Pah, Arsenal? We're more likely to be Premier League next season than them!!!

EMI is maturity. Perhaps it’s dawned on him that the tactics we employ are based on unity and working together with or without the ball.  I would like to think the old Emi which weakened the team at times as he laid prostrate on the ground uninjured but remonstrating to the Gods is gone for ever.

I thought last night we played very much like a Premier League team, last season we played like a Championship team in the Premiership.