Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Anyone follow the Bundesliga or any German teams?

Just out of the sake of curiosity, and of course the many links between our manager and quite a few of our players and the Bundesliga.

Union Berlin are one to watch- Only promoted to the Bundesliga for the very first team recently and are currently sixth. They also have quite a few interesting and decent players including one Max Kruse who is quite frankly a fantastic player. Not quite going to call him the 'German Hoolahan' given he is quite tall but his fantastic dribbling and passing skills do somewhat remind me of our Irish Messi 😉

They also happen to have quite the unique and fantastic little stadium. The Stadion An der Alten Försterei.. Yes, quite the mouthful. Translates to 'Stadium at the old forester's house' in English for those of you not well versed in the Germanic tongue. It happens to be slap bang in the middle of the woods and you need to go on a very scenic walk through the trees to get to it. And just like most German football fans their fanbase and support is fantastic.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

I used to follow Energie Cottbus and Dynamo Dresden quite closely, but I used to live on the German-Polish border for just over a year so Cottbus was the nearest town of any size. In fact, when they were in the Bundesliga back in 2000-1 I watched them beat Bayern Munich at the Stadion der Freundschaft. What was really funny was that a former Bristol City and Hungary international defender, Vilmos Sebök, scored the 1-0 winner. Cottbus have fallen back into the regional leagues, came back into the 3. Liga, but fell again. Their old coach when they were in the Bundesliga, Eduard Geyer, was famously the last coach of the old East German national side.

Speaking of Union Berlin, they used to have a big fans football tournament in a small village called Altranft, as I played in it twice. Lost the final on penalties one year, came nowhere the next. Union Berlin were in the Bundesliga last season for the first time in their history and stayed up with a little bit to spare. They were basically an East Berlin club that wasn't Berliner FC Dynamo, which was the old Stasi team and have fallen back into the regional leagues.

If your German is up to it, Kicker.de is the website to follow for German football.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I’ve always had Cologne as my favourite German team . I used to like Tony Woodcock and it sparked my teenage interest when he moved there in 79 . And it just stuck . That was a big deal back then ,  even though Keegan had led the way going to Hamburg in 77 (?) .

Borussia Dortmund, started when Shambert was playing for them in the Champions League, then has kept going with us getting Farke.

Also really impressed with Borussia Monchengladbach, if Man City play anything like they did last night they are in for another shock in the Champions League, have some very impressive young players and a manager who is another up and comer in Marco Rose

It’s Mainz 05 for me. 

They were 2.BL at the time I was there and experienced their remarkable rise (and fall... and semi-rise) just after I left

47 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Borussia Dortmund, started when Shambert was playing for them in the Champions League, then has kept going with us getting Farke.

Also really impressed with Borussia Monchengladbach, if Man City play anything like they did last night they are in for another shock in the Champions League, have some very impressive young players and a manager who is another up and comer in Marco Rose

Mönchengladbach have had a tradition of encouraging young players as well, hence their nickname "die Fohlen" (the foals). Particularly true in the 1970s during their huge rivalry with Bayern.

• Like 1

I’ve always had a soft spot for Hansa Rostock since visiting it, but not that good. Nice stadium though, about the same size as Norwich.

I'm a bleeding-heart leftie liberal, so I follow FC St Pauli. And Dortmund in the Bundesliga, because Lambert/Farke/yellow.

Hertha Berlin and Bayern for me. 

Why, well some may remember that there used to be a sports stall on Norwich Market in the late 80's/early 90's that had random football kits (probably fake). 

I got the second Bayern kit and the first shirt for Marseille as they were the same style and the Hertha Berlin shirt. 

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm a bleeding-heart leftie liberal, so I follow FC St Pauli. And Dortmund in the Bundesliga, because Lambert/Farke/yellow.

St Pauli are the Leeds of Germany! Real thugs in their supporters aren’t they?

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

St Pauli are the Leeds of Germany! Real thugs in their supporters aren’t they?

The reason they tend to be so unpopular is because they're fiercely liberal, antifascist, anti-racist and anti-homophobic. The more 'active' ultras get in lots of conflict with neo-Nazí elements of opposing fan bases, but generally speaking they're one of the most diverse and welcoming fan groups in Germany.

This is a great read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Punks-Politics-Falling-Football/dp/190752441X

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lived in Munich for 4 years and my eldest son was born there.  He is now a huge Bayern fan, so the whole family now follows them.  When we lived there we followed 1860 more, as they were the local underdogs.

I support Borussia Mönchengladbach, as I was able to go and see them a few times when I worked in Germany for a few months.

Great club with top supporters! Wir sind Borussia Wir sind die Fohlen !

9 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Lived in Munich for three years so Bayern is my team.

The Man U/Liverpool des Südens. why not 1860 out of curiosity? 😉

Not condemning the choice though it’s not very ‘Norwich’ club - there is the uefa cup link of course

4 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

I support Borussia Mönchengladbach, as I was able to go and see them a few times when I worked in Germany for a few months.

Great club with top supporters! Wir sind Borussia Wir sind die Fohlen !

Mönchengladbach have one fancy stadium, looks fantastic at night even more so when it's full of fans. Something about the black and green that works so well

green.jpg