CDMullins

Ben Marshall - Undr The Cosh

Ben Marshall was this weeks guest on the Undr The Cosh podcast.

Couple of points Re his Norwich move/time;

He didn't want to join us due to location but it was the best contract he'd ever had.

Hated it from day 1.

Annoyed at being played at RB (despite he'd played RB for Blackburn and got player of the season, the previous year)

Norwich doctors picked up that he was showing signs of serious depression.

Said "Anyone at Norwich is bound to get a bit of depression"

Claims he was happy to cancel his contract for free but his agent 'worked his wonder' and after his promotion payrise managed to get him a hefty payoff. 

Sounded like an absolute c0ck throughout tbh and someone at City clearly didnt do their due dilligence.

Trouble at all the clubs he was at and was a big big drinker.

Now retired at 29.

For anyone who hasn't listened to this before, Chris Brown is one of the co-hosts.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 1

Shame to hear that. Very few players have issues here once they are settled. He was a bit part player so that would not have helped.

Whilst part of me wants to feel a little sorry for him, depression etc is serious, I cant help but feel nothing but indifference; those lads that season went on to do amazing things, incredible things. They have written themselves into club folk law and got to play a season in the top flight, some are going to get big moves, others might get to return to the top flight with Norwich again if we have a bit of luck! 

What has he done since? exactly.

Edited by birchfest

Thanks @CDMullins, was going to watch this a bit later but now I don’t think I’ll bother.

Clearly a bit of a colourful character but an absolute disaster of a professional. 

19 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

He didn't want to join us due to location but it was the best contract he'd ever had.

Hated it from day 1.

Annoyed at being played at RB (despite he'd played RB for Blackburn and got player of the season, the previous year)

Claims he was happy to cancel his contract for free but his agent 'worked his wonder' and after his promotion payrise managed to get hima hefty payrise.

Sounded like an absolute c0ck throughout tbh and someone at City clearly didnt do their due dilligence.

Had forgotten about him - just looked him up and looks like more clubs than Tiger Woods? Shafted Blackbury to rejoin Scumbert (that went well) . Joined us, did nothing and got a payrise! 
Now playing for Stoneclough in the West Lancs league . Sounds about right . 

I've got a bit of sympathy for him, so hopefully he's on the mend.  Can you imagine prematurely giving up a lucrative career as a professional sportsman in a healthy frame of mind?

Duff transfer for us, but being that the success rate is pretty high for our transfers recently, I feel no need for sour or even indifferent grapes, even if he is talking boll#cks about Norwich the place.  

• Like 2

Stoneclough. Bloody hell. I played against their vets team a few weeks ago. Bit of a bad-tempered match but we won. In fact, speaking of ex-Canaries that failed, Simon Whaley is back up here as well!

7 minutes in and I've already found out he's a p*ss head who would have Sunday sessions and then go to training on a Monday, and would smoke fags on the morning of a game.

Did Grant Hanley vouch for him when we were interested then? lol

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Hated it from day 1.

Claims he was happy to cancel his contract for free but his agent 'worked his wonder' and after his promotion payrise managed to get hima hefty payrise.

Now retired at 29.

For anyone who hasn't listened to this before, Chris Brown is one of the co-hosts.

On the surface he does seem a prat. Depression is awful and needs to be addressed but you don't use that (I am not saying he has here) to have ago at some things/people just for a cheap laugh.

For someone born in Salford, and not making the grade at Man Utd, then perhaps Norwich and Norfolk were never going to be his favourite places but to dismiss it like he has says more about him than Norwich. The smug superiority is pathetic.

He could have said no to coming here but he was obviously more interested in the money, initially,  than taking another Club's (playing) offer. I am sure he would have been told where we were considering playing him, it wouldn't have been sprung on him at the first day of training. If he was any good as a winger, then we would have played him as a winger, but he couldn't break into the team, either due to injury or ability.

Is it always someone else's fault Ben?

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If he was any good as a winger, then we would have played him as a winger, but he couldn't break into the team, either due to injury or ability.

Judging by the podcast it would definitely have been down to fitness/lifestyle. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In the comments somebody is sharing a rumour that he got done for drink driving before joining Millwall on loan from us. 

In the interview he actually claims he didnt touch a drop from signing for us to joining Millwall on loan.

Appeared to be a fairly honest account

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

Hated it from day 1.

Now retired at 29.

Thanks for this, C 👍. The Norwich chat starts (I think) at 1:21:40.

He said all the right things when we signed him...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44668232

...mind you, there's always a bit of 'I'm delighted to have joined <insert club name here>, quite a few clubs were in for me but when I knew <insert coach or manager name here> was interested, I wanted to get it all done as quickly. This is a massive club/sleeping giant and I am looking forward to the challenge ahead'.

• Like 2

To me, there is a vast difference between ...

1. "Norwich ... nice people and good club ... didn't end up being a good fit for me but I wish them all well ... the gaffer and everyone else was good to me ..."

2. "Norwich ... didn't want to join at all ... hated it ... boring and depressing ... had my agent get me paid and then got the hell out of there ..."

You've got to maintain a basic level of professionalism. It doesn't seem like he has, which is a shame, but it says more about Marshall than it does us. Jacob Sorensen is 3X the player Ben Marshall is and was 1/2 or less of the price. We've moved on and I suggest he do the same.

Funny watching this interview now knowing he was completely lying. I guess it must have become apparent to Farke and Webber very quickly this one was a big mistake.

The moment when he said anyone at Norwich would get depressed, he was looking at Chris Brown (the footballer one!) and although Brown, did not defend it, he remained deadpan. That, Ben, is a sign of respect from an ex City footballer, who didn't rip any trees up here. Not everyone likes Norfolk, but when you compare it Salford.... You can just see Ben's holiday snaps, will only comprise of Ibiza and Magaluf with the lads.

I guess we may be looking at this from a fan's pov, in that he has got the obvious skillset to play at a very high level (something we would all love to have the chance to do) but  he (eventually) couldn't align his mindset to it. 

I hope he can find happiness with his family now

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

All sympathy goes out the window with that completely unnecessary comment. 

Maybe he wanted to sit at home boozing?

Admits to getting a hefty payoff he didn't deserve and still talks about a former employer like that. 

Didn't he join a pub team shortly after he left Norwich?  Entitled. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

Remember his debut vs Birmingham, he looked as though he wasn’t attempting to win headers. Didn’t suit the club and at least we got rid. But let’s be happy we dodged the McCormack show!

8 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

All sympathy goes out the window with that completely unnecessary comment. 

Maybe he wanted to sit at home boozing?

Admits to getting a hefty payoff he didn't deserve and still talks about a former employer like that. 

Didn't he join a pub team shortly after he left Norwich?  Entitled. 

He got rejected by Rotherham after leaving us I believe (actually think they made him an offer but pulled as he messed them around) then ended up in the papers a couple of months later signing for a pub team 2 stone overweight. 

I think it's just clear that he was never willing to sacrifice lads culture / boozing for football and that was obviously going to catch up on him one day as a professional sportsperson. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

The bitterness and series of excuses he makes suggests he has a problem accepting fault. Quite an immature man. 

A shame, as he had a lot of talent and I thought was a good signing at the time.

2 hours ago, birchfest said:

Whilst part of me wants to feel a little sorry for him, depression etc is serious

Being a lefty, "do-gooding" type, I do wonder whether he is still depressed. It doesn't sound like a very well considered interview? The negativity ec could be a symptom?

• Like 1

I remember when we signed Pukki at the time all the rumours about Marshall were going around and being disappointed that it wasn't BM they announced...

Jesus... What a b****nd.

Depression is one thing, slagging off a place because it didn't suit him is another.  He should have known what we were all about as a club and what part of the country it is in so how he ever thought coming to Norwich was a good idea, I don't know, totally unsuited and he should have known it. Money, I suppose.

By the same token, how Webber thought this was a good idea is astounding too. He must have appeared a confident outgoing character able to talk himself into the job and give the impression he would be able to adapt to the kind of football he was coming to. 

Plainly limited as a footballer as to how he could play and unable - or unwilling - to adapt to anything other than what he was used to. Just not a good fit.....you win some you lose some.

Sounds like he has a more balanced life now with wife and kid, good for him, but coming to Norwich was his last chance to settle at a club, having been at so many in his career.  The reason it didn't work was down to him, as his career since then has shown. We are known as a friendly and supportive club so he had every opportunity, but some people do not want to be sorted out and can't cope when given even the best circumstances - because it forces them out of their comfort zone and they can't handle it.