duke63

Sheffield United

Stick with Wilder Sheff Utd fans .... I genuinely thinks he represents "who" you are. Way too much chopping and changing managers nowadays. Hasn't helped Wednesday or Derby or Forest has it? 

54 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

You are right that McBurnie is the highest paid, and therefore least liked by the fans!  As others have said they do have an extremely strict wage structure (heard it from Wilder himself down our local last year when he was questioned why they had signed no-one).   

So, as well as buying big, do you pay bigger salaries too?  The criticism of them this season appears to be the players are no longer trying as hard as last year, what do you think, is there a link?

I think it's potentially a massive issue. I don't see how you can have a strict wage structure and then sign players on higher wages. I believe we have chosen to limit our potential signings precisely because we won't pay anyone a wage which breaks our structure. If you want unity in the dressing room (feeding onto the pitch) then you need a degree of equality.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A manager with promotion experience is valuable in the Market. The blunts owners said as much at the weekend - if we go down we have a proven man to bring us back up. Sort of makes sense . 

Not a logic we employed with Hughton though ! 

I thought the relegation was on Neil Adams CV? 😉 

I have a good friend who is a Blades fan and he is keen to keep him as he is an old club player and got them 2 promotions. It is a difficult call for the club. If they have any aspirations of staying up then they need to chop him and fast and get someone in who knows what they are doing lower PL and back him in the transfer window. That said the chances of them staying up now regardless of what they do is slim in the extreme. Wilders signing at PL level have been appalling and he has been backed to the tune of nearly £100m since they went up. They will struggle to move a lot of these players on and others in the squad proven at championship level like Mc Goldrick and Sharpe are probably over the hill now so that Blades team in the championship could  need a complete rebuild and need to get big earners off the  wage list. This has been an incredible fall from grace after their outstanding season last time out, noone would have thought they would be on 1 point from 12 games

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I have a good friend who is a Blades fan and he is keen to keep him as he is an old club player and got them 2 promotions. It is a difficult call for the club. If they have any aspirations of staying up then they need to chop him and fast and get someone in who knows what they are doing lower PL and back him in the transfer window. That said the chances of them staying up now regardless of what they do is slim in the extreme. Wilders signing at PL level have been appalling and he has been backed to the tune of nearly £100m since they went up. They will struggle to move a lot of these players on and others in the squad proven at championship level like Mc Goldrick and Sharpe are probably over the hill now so that Blades team in the championship could  need a complete rebuild and need to get big earners off the  wage list. This has been an incredible fall from grace after their outstanding season last time out, noone would have thought they would be on 1 point from 12 games

Well, they have to make a decision, based on romanticism or practicalities. 

He got them up and had a great season, but this season has shown, quite starkly, that he hasn't got a scooby how to get them out of this mess already. So, was he lucky in the previous 2 seasons (buzz word , I know)? I would say not, as they deserved to go up, but you have to evolve when you get in the Prem, and their steep decline has taken all by surprise, but Wilder is employed to ensure that doesn't happen. It would seem he hasn't really planned for anything other than trying to tread water, by the look of his signings.  He doesn't seem to have had a Plan B, after all, as he has been found out. They looked dire yesterday at Southampton and 11 defeats in 12 isn't 'unlucky'.

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Well, they have to make a decision, based on romanticism or practicalities. 

He got them up and had a great season, but this season has shown, quite starkly, that he hasn't got a scooby how to get them out of this mess already. So, was he lucky in the previous 2 seasons (buzz word , I know)? I would say not, as they deserved to go up, but you have to evolve when you get in the Prem, and their steep decline has taken all by surprise, but Wilder is employed to ensure that doesn't happen. It would seem he hasn't really planned for anything other than trying to tread water, by the look of his signings.  He doesn't seem to have had a Plan B, after all, as he has been found out. They looked dire yesterday at Southampton and 11 defeats in 12 isn't 'unlucky'.

All accusations you could have leveled at Farke, almost word for word last season. Right now he's showing we were right to stick with him, Wilder may be the same.

However if come the end of January they still just have one point it might be so dire they have to make a change.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

All accusations you could have leveled at Farke, almost word for word last season. Right now he's showing we were right to stick with him, Wilder may be the same.

However if come the end of January they still just have one point it might be so dire they have to make a change.

Up to a point, I would agree kc but we were still in with a shout in March, and Sheff Utd may be cast adrift by Jan. What do they do then? Keep Wilder in charge because he is one of them and look for a quick return? I would say no, because of the effect their horrendous season (if they are adrift by end Jan with little or no hope) would have on the players for the remaining games. In my eyes that would be horrendous in terms of motivation etc knowing their manager may get them out of  the Championship but has not shown he knows how to at least, offer up a fight if they get promoted

January offers a potential new manager a transfer window to work with at least. We didn't have that option in March, but at least we could see what Farke was trying to do (as he was hamstrung with finances , whereas Wilder certainly wasn't on the same scale, this season). Do the Sheff Utd fans feel that way about Wilder right now, or even in only a few weeks time? We shall see.

Edited by Crabbycanary3

I would say they're better of sticking with him, because he's clearly good at managing at Champs level.  I suspect this season the chips have been against him in a similar way to Farke last season.

Keeping the manager after relegation lets the players know that he's not just going to be sacked when you have a bad run which strengthens his authority.  Problem at a club like say Forest is that the players know that's not the case, so they know if things aren't good, the manager will be more likely to face the chop than them.

Also I remember our 2nd season after Lambert had left.  The risk is that over the off season, the players start to believe the hype and think of themselves as "premiership players" and lost that bit of edge/hunger that's so important lower down in the Prem.  After Lambert left, we lost the next season opener 5-1 at Fulham and in hindsight I think that might have been no bad thing because it was a wake up call for the players, allowed Hughton to establish some authority and bring in some CBs, and do well enough to keep us up another season.

Up to the end of Jan, their fixtures are;

Home, Man Utd, Everton, Newcastle, Spurs

Away, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Man Utd and Man City

There is not  lot of points here, you would imagine. IF they suddenly start putting in exciting performances, then perhaps I would be inclined to stick with him. I just cannot see where those type of performances are going to come from. Other teams have worked them out. 

If their performances do not improve by mid/end Jan, they need to get rid of him as keeping him, would just erode away all that good work he previously did, and 3 more months of that would heavily impact on whatever they do in the Championship next season (if they go down of course!) 

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I thought the relegation was on Neil Adams CV? 😉 

I meant that we didn't keep Hughton , who had a promotion from the Championship on his CV (Newcastle). 

He now has two of course ....

23 minutes ago, ELYOUKAYEE said:

"We lose a few games and everyone immediately says we're suffering from second season syndrome." - Chris Wilder 2020.

That's a great spin on not saying. "We only lost 12 games out of 38 last season, and this season we have already lost 11 out of 12 games". I never had Wilder down as a politician, but he is trying to keep his job I suppose

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think the comparison is fair. But the real comparison is whether they stick around the much derided top 26. We pretty much have for ten years. West Brom and Fulham are two I can think of who also have. But others are relegated and drop away. When we went up in 2011 QPR and Swansea were with us. Swansea did better than us staying up for 7 seasons. They still look strong now but I suspect this season is crucial for them. QPR kept pace for a couple of seasons and then fell away. 

Then of course there's the myth that many clubs become established premier league members. Which means our achievements are often regarded as failures on here.

Top 26 seem a more realistic target for us (and clubs like us) than Top 17. Aiming for the tighter target means taking more risks over the longer term and thereby increasing the risk of crash and burn if you suffer relegation. On the other hand Top26 means not front-loading with debt or signing players on unaffordable wages or contracts that guarantee wage levels. You also have the extra bonus of seasons like this one where we are winning most games instead of losing most games. Right now I'd rather be Norwich City than Sheff Utd.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I had a quick look at the Sheffield United forum and a few of them are rather annoyed at the money they think Wilder has blown this season. Others seem to be distracted by some troll masquerading as a Norwich fan - which just about all of them have fallen for. As for the money spent I think they do have a point. As well as having credit int he bank Farke really did have excuses in the lack of spend last season and even Webber came out with the "sent to war without a gun" quote. Wilder does not have that.

If we do go up this season I have faith that if given a decent budget we won't have the same complaints. I can't see us splashing 20 million plus on a player but surely will give it a better go.

I hereby demand this song be Sheffield Uniteds new walkout song whenever the team both enter the pitch at the start of a match and exit it at the end of a match.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

They showed plenty of fight tonight, but that's not their problem, it's quality they only have 1 player in their squad who I'd have here, Rhian Brewster. He'll never thrive in a Wilder side though but Farke would suit his qualities perfectly. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

Third of the season gone and at the same rate of points acquisition they will be on 3 points by April. Yet, they may force some wins and draws yet. If West Brom or Fulham/Burnley pull out some results though it will be very dispiriting. Can't imagine how low the dressing room must be.

When you see the extremes of change of fortune that can happen to the likes of Sheff Utd (in a bad way) and Leicester (in a good way), it certainly drums home that anything is possible in football.  Sheff Utd got on a bit of a roll last season and managed to keep it going, but their plummet to the bottom has been quite spectacular.  Likewise Leicester's sudden rise to the PL trophy from a position of almost certain relegation the previous season.

Sheff Utd are on target for a 3 points tally for the whole season, but if they somehow do the impossible and start getting a few results, they could do something even more spectacular than Leicester's escape....and who knows the momentum gained from that could see them challenging at the top of the table again next season. Unlikely, I know, but anything can happen in football!

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

When you see the extremes of change of fortune that can happen to the likes of Sheff Utd (in a bad way) and Leicester (in a good way), it certainly drums home that anything is possible in football.  Sheff Utd got on a bit of a roll last season and managed to keep it going, but their plummet to the bottom has been quite spectacular.  Likewise Leicester's sudden rise to the PL trophy from a position of almost certain relegation the previous season.

Sheff Utd are on target for a 3 points tally for the whole season, but if they somehow do the impossible and start getting a few results, they could do something even more spectacular than Leicester's escape....and who knows the momentum gained from that could see them challenging at the top of the table again next season. Unlikely, I know, but anything can happen in football!

One of the unlikliest outcomes in football Lakeyo is that you'll be  right!!! 😉👍😇

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

They *can* beat Man City!

On 14/12/2020 at 19:24, Rock The Boat said:

Top 26 seem a more realistic target for us (and clubs like us) than Top 17. Aiming for the tighter target means taking more risks over the longer term and thereby increasing the risk of crash and burn if you suffer relegation. On the other hand Top26 means not front-loading with debt or signing players on unaffordable wages or contracts that guarantee wage levels. You also have the extra bonus of seasons like this one where we are winning most games instead of losing most games. Right now I'd rather be Norwich City than Sheff Utd.

I was thinking something very similar RTB. The “top 26” ambition is on reflection very shrewd as it acknowledges that no one other than Leicester is an established PL club outside the big 6. Many have tried and over time they all fail. To know this, plan for it, and give yourselves the best chance to 1) not have to sell off your best players and high earners to balance the books and hence 2) bounce back, is the pragmatic path, for any club, not just a self-funding one. Next season will be fascinating if we go up though, all about the recruitment.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

On 14/12/2020 at 15:36, king canary said:

1) Even we'd amassed more points than United at this point.

2) Farke wasn't backed with tens of millions like Wilder has been. Potentially to the tune of 100m. Looking a good job we didn't just spend the ridiculous sums on players like McBurnie

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

1) Even we'd amassed more points than United at this point.

2) Farke wasn't backed with tens of millions like Wilder has been. Potentially to the tune of 100m. Looking a good job we didn't just spend the ridiculous sums on players like McBurnie

Mc Burnie looks about as technically  gifted as Hugill.  Yet plays a lot of a lot of games!!! Speaks volumes of the differences between us and the Blunts.

On 17/12/2020 at 22:15, Canary Wundaboy said:

I gotta say that McGoldrick has improved mightily since running around like a headless chicken up front for the Scum.

And by mightily I take it you don't mean by much? Still looks like Bambi on ice

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And by mightily I take it you don't mean by much? Still looks like Bambi on ice

Cant agree, if we'd bought Mcgoldrick  rather than Naismith  we probably would have been better off, in points and pounds. He really is a grafter, the wasp at the picnic I hoped Naismith  would be...but wasn't.  

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cant agree, if we'd bought Mcgoldrick  rather than Naismith  we probably would have been better off, in points and pounds. He really is a grafter, the wasp at the picnic I hoped Naismith  would be...but wasn't.  

I'm still convinced that sadly Naismith only joined us for a quick and easy paycheck after he figured that Everton did not want him anymore, that and he of course knew Alex Neil.

Still a decent player mind (He has a decent record at hearts as of now) but talking of hearts I'm sure his was never really in it when it came to playing for us