Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

The *LAST* five...

Massive five games coming up. If we can keep up two points a game (three wins, a draw and a defeat) then we're almost certain to be in the top two:

Reading (away)
Cardiff (home)
Watford (away)
QPR (home)
Barnsley (home)

After the Barnsley game there's a two-week break from the league, and by the time we resume on January 16th we should have the vast majority of our squad back:

Cantwell, McLean and Hugill already back
Dowell on the bench so nearly back to full fitness
Krul and Rupp back within the next week
Gibson and Placheta back by Boxing Day
Idah and Mumba back by New Year

By my estimation, that leaves only Byram, Hernandez and Quintilla unaccounted for. If Quintilla isn't coming back one assumes we'll recall McCallum, and Onel and Byram will be like new signings if they do get fit again. I'm sure we'll pick up one or two more knocks, but our squad for the second half of the season looks remarkably strong even without any reinforcements (youth backup options in brackets):

GK: Krul, McGovern, Barden (McCracken)
DF: Mumba, Byram, Quintilla/McCallum, Gibson, Zimmermann, Hanley, Aarons (Omobamidele, Famewo)
DM: Skipp, Rupp, Tettey, Sorensen, Vrancic (McAlear)
AM: Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta, McLean, Hernandez, Martin, Dowell, Stiepermann (Hondermarck)
FW: Pukki, Hugill, Idah (Omotoye)

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

Agreed FTW - we're looking pretty good at the moment without ever seeming to hit top gear. We're grinding wins out and with a whole host of players to come back in, we're hopefully only going to get stronger. 

11 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I can’t see us losing, I honestly can’t.

maybe a draw here and there but we will just get better and better

What, in the next five, or for the rest of the season?

Or EVER???

On 12/12/2020 at 20:28, Feedthewolf said:

What, in the next five, or for the rest of the season?

Or EVER???

Well

if my plan goes without a hitch...

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Massive five games coming up. If we can keep up two points a game (three wins, a draw and a defeat) then we're almost certain to be in the top two:

Reading (away)
Cardiff (home)
Watford (away)
QPR (home)
Barnsley (home)

After the Barnsley game there's a two-week break from the league, and by the time we resume on January 16th we should have the vast majority of our squad back:

By my estimation, that leaves only Byram, Hernandez and Quintilla unaccounted for. If Quintilla isn't coming back one assumes we'll recall McCallum, and Onel and Byram will be like new signings if they do get fit again. I'm sure we'll pick up one or two more knocks, but our squad for the second half of the season looks remarkably strong even without any reinforcements (youth backup options in brackets):

DF: Mumba, Byram, Quintilla/McCallum, Gibson, Zimmermann, Hanley, Aarons (Omobamidele, Famewo)
AM: Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta, McLean, Hernandez, Martin, Dowell, Stiepermann (Hondermarck)

Just some signs today FTW that we have just notched up a gear. Some of the play was lovely and if we could just be a little more ruthless we may score more. The result against Sheffield Wednesday in the way we managed it, I feel, gave us such belief and we got better against Forest, then improved again today.  I can see a good result against a strong Reading team then at home to Cardiff. I then cannot see much further ahead but Watford away will be interesting on Boxing Day. We are not bad on Boxing Day are we? In times past we could lose if playing away on Boxing Day.

If we are top on Xmas day then you'd have to say we will occupy pole position and the stats are good for the automatics at such a stage. The trouble might be that the top 6 are very bunched. Just when you think we might pull away it concertinas again!

I like the look of those players returning! How great to have such options.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Well

if my plan goes without a hitch...

37CE7F9A-E8EC-423F-99E6-3F5376B8C139.gif

Only take a little hoo with a love for Christmas and we'll be on the worst losing streak we've ever seen.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Reading (away)
Cardiff (home)
Watford (away)
QPR (home)
Barnsley (home)

That's also what I'd expect. Although I wouldn't like to predict who the loss and draw would be to.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Reading (away)
Cardiff (home)
Watford (away)
QPR (home)
Barnsley (home)

Certainly if we get anywhere near five unbeaten in the next five it’ll certainly set us up for promotion! 

From that list who do you think is ready for the premiership? I can say possibly six or seven! Big investment would be needed to stay up! 

But definitely some great young players with massive potential, just need Skipp and that standard to develop in the premiership......let’s just get there first I suppose...👍💛💚

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Very negative Wolfie I expect a full 15 points from these games 

That's simply so you can whinge when we only get 10.

• Haha 1

I'd take nine points if it came in the form of two wins and three draws, but both those away games are going to be two of our hardest this season, I'd think.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd take nine points if it came in the form of two wins and three draws, but both those away games are going to be two of our hardest this season, I'd think.

Would you not take 3 wins and 2 losses? Well, provided the last two are not demoralising losses that send our subsequent form in the wrong direction.

i can see Norwich  suffering another loss in there, say at Vicarage Road anyway as they know how to play and win against us. Should be a great contest. Think we’ll have too much for Reading, potential away victory on the cards but let’s see.

The likes of Cardiff, QPR or Barnsley at home would normally provide those unexpected banana skin moment(s) but this season’s team seem to just methodically steamroll the mid table sides (by a 1 goal margin), Rooney aberration aside.

8 points my prediction.

Edited by GenerationA47
in the wrong direction

24 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Would you not take 3 wins and 2 losses? Well, provided the last two are not demoralising losses that send our form

i can see Norwich  suffering another loss in there, say at Vicarage Road anyway as they know how to play and win against us. Should be a great contest. Think we’ll have too much for Reading, potential away victory on the cards but let’s see.

The likes of Cardiff, QPR or Barnsley at home would normally provide those unexpected banana skin moment(s) but this season’s team seem to just methodically steamroll the mid table sides (by a 1 goal margin), Rooney aberration aside.

8 points my prediction.

As a rule of thumb, don't lose to your main rivals. I suspect we'll lose at Watford and possibly at Reading as they do seem extremely clinical at finishing their chances, but if we were to get nine points by winning the home games and losing the away ones to promotion rivals, you give the rivals a psychological boost.

That's why I'd be happier with nine where we leave two at home - probably Cardiff, and draw the away ones. Of course, if we drew the home ones and won the away ones I'd be delighted, odd as that sounds.

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 wins from our next 5 will keep us on track for averaging 2 points a game, currently 2.05.

46 points from 23 games. I'd take that for sure.

Barring in mind in those 5 games we should have Krul, Gibson, Placheta, Dowell, Mclean, Cantwell & Hugill all back and fully fit.

35 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

As a rule of thumb, don't lose to your main rivals. I suspect we'll lose at Watford and possibly at Reading as they do seem extremely clinical at finishing their chances, but if we were to get nine points by winning the home games and losing the away ones to promotion rivals, you give the rivals a psychological boost.

That's why I'd be happier with nine where we leave two at home - probably Cardiff, and draw the away ones. Of course, if we drew the home ones and won the away ones I'd be delighted, odd as that sounds.

Aha understood yes totally

Still can’t see Reading as rivals, I know too many of their fans and share their habitual pessimism regarding their long-term chances 😃

Mind you, times do change.. when I first lived here they got decent and started routinely thumping us, especially when I was attending the  Stadium of Plastic.

Reading will be without Joao and Meite missing yesterday thats 20 goals out of their squad.  Cardiff will be missing Keiron Moore top scorer and big danger in box.  Should make these fixtures easier to win.  Watford will be a difficult game but not impressed with them struggled to beat Birmingham another possible victory.  Then QPR and Barnsley at home games where buses will be truly parked as long as we can find a way to score a goal another two victories.

A good reason for expecting 5 victories and 50 points before xmas.    

13 hours ago, Surfer said:

That's also what I'd expect. Although I wouldn't like to predict who the loss and draw would be to.

Probably, Barnsley & QPR 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete said:

Reading will be without Joao and Meite missing yesterday thats 20 goals out of their squad.  Cardiff will be missing Keiron Moore top scorer and big danger in box.  Should make these fixtures easier to win.  Watford will be a difficult game but not impressed with them struggled to beat Birmingham another possible victory.  Then QPR and Barnsley at home games where buses will be truly parked as long as we can find a way to score a goal another two victories.

A good reason for expecting 5 victories and 50 points before xmas.    

To be fair, we struggled to beat Birmingham. Took a red card and quick thinking after reorganisation to unhinge their defence.

18 hours ago, kick it off said:

Agreed FTW - we're looking pretty good at the moment without ever seeming to hit top gear. We're grinding wins out and with a whole host of players to come back in, we're hopefully only going to get stronger. 

Yes, we are in good position but it’s unrealistic to assume we’ll get all our injured players back without others getting injured.

Very few teams are at full strength for any length of time during the season.

On 13/12/2020 at 01:20, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The first three are very tough, but the final two should be wins. We certainly should be doing for ten points.

As for the injuries, aren't Idah and Mumba both due back around February?

Just checked, and you're right - 10 weeks from when it was announced takes us to the end of January rather than the start.

On 12/12/2020 at 22:35, Indy said:

Certainly if we get anywhere near five unbeaten in the next five it’ll certainly set us up for promotion! 

From that list who do you think is ready for the premiership? I can say possibly six or seven! Big investment would be needed to stay up! 

But definitely some great young players with massive potential, just need Skipp and that standard to develop in the premiership......let’s just get there first I suppose...👍💛💚

We're still a long way short of where we need to be to survive in the top flight, that's for sure. Of our current squad, I would say the following are Prem standard:

Krul, Aarons, Gibson, Quintilla, Dowell, Byram, Skipp, Rupp, Sorensen, Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta, Pukki. Then any of Mumba, Idah, McCallum and Martin (and to a lesser extent Omobamidele, Famewo, Omotoye, McAlear and Dickson-Peters) could make the grade.

We'd definitely need to keep hold of Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell, and strengthen the spine of the team: strong, quick and agile players at CB, CM and CF. We're pretty well-stocked for wider and more creative options, but we're not going to survive with those positions taken up by Zimbo, Hanley, Vrancic, Tettey, McLean, Idah and Hugill.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Krul, Aarons, Gibson, Quintilla, Dowell, Byram, Skipp, Rupp, Sorensen, Buendia, Cantwell, Placheta, Pukki. Then any of Mumba, Idah, McCallum and Martin (and to a lesser extent Omobamidele, Famewo, Omotoye, McAlear and Dickson-Peters) could make the grade.

Why Quintilla? His crossing & dead ball skills are excellent, but I'm not at all sure about his defending. And he didn't look particularly quick.

I think you're doing Zimbo & Hanley a disservice too. Neither were fit for more than a few games last season & CB is a position where you need time to gain partnerships. In my opinion it was mainly the CB situation that scuppered us last year. I'm not prone to revenge, but I do occasionally fantasise about the nasty things that might befall Mr. Haller ...

To jump on a bandwagon, Watford were lucky to beat Brum, it was never a penalty (bad refs anyone?) 

IF we are not top after the next 5, let's not go into meltdown, as there will be another set of 5 etc and Bournemouth's next 5 have Millwall and Wycombe at home, and Stoke, Luton and Brentford away.

Watford's next 5 include Brentford and us at home with Huddersfield, Milwall and Sswansea away

Swansea's are Barnsley, Watford and Reading at home, with Derby and QPR away

To summise ,we may well be top after those fixtures 🙂 

I think in those 5 there are some "must not lose" games.  Bournemouth aside, we have been much improved this season at picking up points against teams we are competing with.  I would say that Stoke and Bristol City have been the matches that going forward, things clicked and we played some lovely stuff.  Last season we were beaten home and away by too many of the teams we were in a relegation battle with.  There are some games that you just can't afford to lose.

With the injuries, I think what's nice about the players coming back to fitness is that there are a few there that carry a goal threat and a different kind of threat as well.  Part of the reason Pukki got 29 in the Champs last time is because we had goals from everywhere so trying to just shut him down wasn't an option as someone else would do the business.  There were quite a few players that got 10 goals, or very close.  I see goals in some of players coming back.

Edited by seanthecanary