Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

The litmus test was.....

Swansea at home (so far).

I'm reading a number of posts declaring how lucky we are with results, deflections, penalties etc etc.

The simple fact is that especially at home we have dominated every team, bar one with 60-70% possession. Yet a few posters believe we scrape results and are in a false position.

Utter rubbish.

This seasons litmus test so far was against Swansea (Steipermann scored late on, Aarons was flattened and the brilliant Mumba came on as sub and tore them a new one). Swansea are a class team and went toe to toe with us yet despite our injuries, we won. That is the type of set up we will be against if we get promoted again.

No other team has come here and set up to match us team wise, they have virtually all been defensively. Therefore, we will spend most of the game trying one tactic to another and eventually 'our luck' or rather endeavour will usually pay off (Derby aside). 

We make our luck and long may we continue to do so. The more we persevere the luckier we get!

Get behind the team. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still really, really sucks Mumba is out injured.

Looked a class above

He looks like a superb player for us potentially. Hope his injury does not set back his enthusiasm for the attacking part of his game

We've taken points off a number of teams that look in the mix for the play offs at least, Bournemouth aside and that bodes well.  Last year we lost home and away to teams we were in relegation battle with us like Watford, West Ham and Villa.  Some of those games we were comfortably beaten as well.  It can't be overstated how important it is to take points off your closet competitors. 

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looked a class above

Exhibit A of fans wildly over reacting. Yes he looked good, but a class above, really? Really really? based on how many minutes on the pitch exactly did he look a class above a decent portion of a team that won the Championship 2 seasons ago.

Don't get me wrong, he looks good but it's exactly this sort of wild statement that will lead to people slating him after 2 games where he hasn't performed to Messi levels.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Exhibit A of fans wildly over reacting. Yes he looked good, but a class above, really? Really really? based on how many minutes on the pitch exactly did he look a class above a decent portion of a team that won the Championship 2 seasons ago.

Don't get me wrong, he looks good but it's exactly this sort of wild statement that will lead to people slating him after 2 games where he hasn't performed to Messi levels.

Agreed! He was gonna look good against tiring legs and a lot to prove. The lad looks good but time will tell. 

Edited by NFN FC

Actually thought Preston went toe to toe with us (I attended that game) and pretty much deserved their 2-2. Since then I would say that we've deserved to win every single home game except Coventry when we were absolutely bereft of fit players. We battered Derby and Millwall and think we've won all the others with more shots and possession. 

Although I think we have deserved the majority of our wins, and not ignoring the current injury problems, I do take issue with the idea that we have a few levels to go up (though I will say I expect us to keep improving as the season goes on). When I think back to the 18/19 season, I remember thinking sooner or later we are going to start battering sides, which we did with big wins at Sheff Wed and Swansea. This time around I think we are nearer to dropping points than we are to winning games by 3 or 4. 

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Looked a class above

It's interesting that before the season started I asked Tim K about the new signings and he said Mumba really impressed him

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd hope Byram will be fit before Mumba (then again not holding my breath)...he'd walk into this side at left back and be a force at this level

Byram was that effective when he started for us, that when he first took over from Aarons last season at CR I genuinely did not realise. Just thought Max was having another good game!

Sorrensen and Byram would be superb at this level and possibly above, for us.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd hope Byram will be fit before Mumba (then again not holding my breath)...he'd walk into this side at left back and be a force at this level

Just a shame Byram seems like another Jack Wilshere

Preston have since 2-2 with Norwich have won 5 away games on the trot and lost all at home until recently, that was a good result.  And Swansea was certainly a key result.  But consecutive away wins against Middlesboro and Stoke speaks volumes about the team.  Next 4 are just as important Blackburn, Reading and Cardiff are in good scoring form but unlikely to park the bus.  Watford on Boxing Day an away win there sends out a message about Norwich City.