Canary dwarf

Got lucky against forest

Buendia and stiepperman we're very poor , just delighted we won but we won't keep winning games playing like this, thumbs up for Sorenson and Zimmerman though otbc.

The squad has been stretched to it's absolute limits by an unprecedented injury crisis corresponding with the most intense period of fixtures ever known.

Some players have been expected to do ninety minutes upon ninety minutes because there has been so little on offer from the bench.

It is no surprise that after starting the game well, playing very well and virtually putting a tightly packed Hughton defence under siege at times, apart from some dangerous of breakaways, that we faded increasingly as the game progressed. We still found enough resolve to respond to their goal with one of our own and to hold onto the hard earned points by resisting everything that a competent Forest team had to offer.

Even two of  the subs we were able to bring on were straight off the treatment table and would probably not have been risked under normal circumstances.

No team is going to lie down in front of us in this league, especially one that contains the likes of Lolley, Knockeart, Arta, Ameobi** and others, all guided by the experienced Chris Hughton. A manager for whom every point is a prisoner. 

I noticed the onset of fatigue, others noticed it, you clearly didn't, preferring instead to fall back on the kind of hackneyed  use of the term 'luck' that one would have expected from a typically biased and un-insightful opposition supporter.

Our goal was indeed very fortunate, but in the context of the game it was deserved. Even the commentator repeatedly expressed his view that, with so many shots being reigned in (many by the 'poor' Buendia) one would eventually hit the target or get a lucky deflection. It duly happened.

Things went our way, as they had previously failed to do so against Luton, but the win was not down to luck, imo.

** Very impressed with this skilful and awkward customer (Ameobi) to the extent that I couldn't help but feel that he was the kind of player more suited to us than the hapless Hugill. Let's just hope that the latter proves me wrong now that he will soon be up and running and will inevitably be given plenty of opportunities to prove his doubters wrong. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Some players have been expected to do ninety minutes upon ninety minutes because there has been so little on offer from the bench.

I agree with all you said about City but for me, this is the crux of it.  With most of the squad fit, there would have been rotation with the relentless fixture list, although I do note that we do have a whole week off soon between fixtures.  It's implausible to expect players to keep up a high level over 90 minutes all the time, even with a fully fit squad.  That's why teams make substitutions or rotate, to change systems or players that aren't working.  We have not really had that luxury and some players have just been doing 90 minutes after 90 minutes after 90 minutes.  I honestly don't know what people are expecting when we've had an injury list that if you added some decent centre backs to it, would make up a team likely to push for promotion on their own.  This season more than ever with the congested fixtures is going to be about grinding out results and we're doing that.  No side is playing consistently well and a look at the form table shows that we are the only side in the top 6 that have won more than 2 of their last 5 fixtures.  All with a horrific injury list.  I think it's fair to say that we aren't playing with the same attacking fluidity as 2 seasons ago but then last year we were criticised for being too open and clearly Farke has tried to address that, add that to the fixture list and injuries and it's not surprising. 

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Buendia and stiepperman we're very poor , just delighted we won but we won't keep winning games playing like this, thumbs up for Sorenson and Zimmerman though otbc.

Lucky we didn't get that penalty in the first half, as I sure we would have missed

Lucky that the Ribena player who blatantly clocked Pukki wasn;t sent off as he should have been, or folk would have been whining that we only won because we were playing ten men

We were also lucky to have Sorenson, Aaarons and Martin.............................yep, lucky they just turned up on our doorstep one day

• Like 8

Those who thought Emi and Steipermann had a hard time need to consider that Forest packed 5 players across quite a compact midfield, leaving just Lyall Taylor chasing things up front.

That's was Forest's game plan, 10 players behind the ball, at least until the 62nd minutes when Taylor was withdrawn and they slowly became more expansive with Knockeart and Ameobi give permission to push on a bit as Norwich tired (notably Josh Martin and Steips). Personally, I thought Forest should have been a bit braver, but maybe if they had it would have been a 4-1 or 5-1 game. They remainded in the game and the delivery of their set pieces was so good that they always had a puncher's chance of catching us.

In his deep role, Mario Vrancic was allowed by Forest to see plenty of the ball. My feeling was that they had had Norwich watched in games when Mario wasn't playing. In the event of course, he was a very deep pivot and not a major, major factor in the win, so maybe they knew what they were doing.

Everyone did their job last night - Sorensen had a hard time, in fairness he is not a natural defender and gets caught a bit square on - so we should be celebrating a hard-earned win.

• Like 1

With the amount of players Forest put in front of the goal, and across the width of the penalty area, any shot that got past the first wave of defenders, and on target, always had a chance of getting a deflection. Most defences are not that compact, so luck? Nah.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

The squad has been stretched to it's absolute limits by an unprecedented injury crisis corresponding with the most intense period of fixtures ever known.

It is no surprise that after starting the game well, playing very well and virtually putting a tightly packed Hughton defence under siege at times, apart from some dangerous of breakaways, that we faded increasingly as the game progressed. We still found enough resolve to respond to their goal with one of our own and to hold onto the hard earned points by resisting everything that a competent Forest team had to offer.

Even two of  the subs we were able to bring on were straight off the treatment table and would probably not have been risked under normal circumstances.

No team is going to lie down in front of us in this league, especially one that contains the likes of Lolley, Knockeart, Arta, Ameobi** and others, all guided by the experienced Chris Hughton. A manager for whom every point is a prisoner. 

I noticed the onset of fatigue, others noticed it, you clearly didn't, preferring instead to fall back on the kind of hackneyed  use of the term 'luck' that one would have expected from a typically biased and un-insightful opposition supporter.

Our goal was indeed very fortunate, but in the context of the game it was deserved. Even the commentator repeatedly expressed his view that, with so many shots being reigned in (many by the 'poor' Buendia) one would eventually hit the target or get a lucky deflection. It duly happened.

Things went our way, as they had previously failed to do so against Luton, but the win was not down to luck, imo.

** Very impressed with this skilful and awkward customer (Ameobi) to the extent that I couldn't help but feel that he was the kind of player more suited to us than the hapless Hugill. Let's just hope that the latter proves me wrong now that he will soon be up and running and will inevitably be given plenty of opportunities to prove his doubters wrong. 

Agreed on Ameobi - always caused us problems and feel he could be a good impact sub for us and fills a number roles. Seems to have been one of those players we could have picked up cheaply a couple of times before, not least from Bolton when in champ before but whether he could do it in the prem......?

Not sure how consistent he is but a rough diamond to be polished?

He'd be 29 by the start of next season, so I feel he would have played at a higher level by now, if he had something to offer. Decent player at this level, but no higher for me.

F63085F6-2168-46DB-815B-B63BFA2D4C60.jpeg

Not saying stats are everything, but who is on top above? Nuff said.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

No luck at all, we are grinding out results with a threadbare and knackered squad and to be honest it’s nothing short of miraculous what the manager and players are achieving. Some players are of course going to look off colour and short of their best because their energy levels must be way down on the optimum level. Results are all that matter right now and we are doing remarkably well, I’m surprised there isn’t more rejoicing on the forum and social media about how well we are doing. If we get players back for and the injury list remains short until May we could potentially run away with this league as other teams pick up their own injuries and players get picked off in January (yes I know the latter could happen to us too).

• Like 8

If we are talking luck then there was an element of that in Forest's equaliser.

I am sure that Knockheart's shot was in fact an intended cross that drifted in whilst our 'keeper had his eye on the forward it was intended for, and who just missed the header.

Like Buendia's goal, it was also a bit of a fluke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

No luck at all, we are grinding out results with a threadbare and knackered squad and to be honest it’s nothing short of miraculous what the manager and players are achieving. Some players are of course going to look off colour and short of their best because their energy levels must be way down on the optimum level. Results are all that matter right now and we are doing remarkably well, I’m surprised there isn’t more rejoicing on the forum and social media about how well we are doing. If we get players back for and the injury list remains short until May we could potentially run away with this league as other teams pick up their own injuries and players get picked off in January (yes I know the latter could happen to us too).

Agreed.  As I said earlier, we are the only side in the top 6 that have won more than 2 of their last 5 games and they don't have our deep injury list either.  Our team has picked itself in recent weeks, not based on form but who isn't on the treatment table. We've had no ability to rotate and rest tired players or simply make changes for players lacking form.  There needs to be a certain amount of pragmatism and realism shown by the team and the fans at the moment.  The injuries, the constant 2 games a week, the general competitiveness of the league and the fact that unlike 2 seasons ago, we are not a surprise anymore.  No one expected us to win the league given the mediocre season before, we lost our best player and had 5 points from the first 6 games.  Teams are just not going to allow space in behind against us anymore because the runs of Pukki and Steipermann/Buendia feeding the ball through to him is too dangerous, Bristol City did and we made them pay.  Most teams are going to just sit back and counter.

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 2

Anyone know what Emi was having a verbal spat with Farke about towards the end of the game? I didn't actually see that incident, just read that it happened 

Farke would probably - and at the moment quite justifiably - say that the harder we work the luckier we get...

3 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Agreed.  As I said earlier, we are the only side in the top 6 that have won more than 2 of their last 5 games and they don't have our deep injury list either.  Our team has picked itself in recent weeks, not based on form but who isn't on the treatment table. We've had no ability to rotate and rest tired players or simply make changes for players lacking form.  There needs to be a certain amount of pragmatism and realism shown by the team and the fans at the moment.  The injuries, the constant 2 games a week, the general competitiveness of the league and the fact that unlike 2 seasons ago, we are not a surprise anymore.  No one expected us to win the league given the mediocre season before, we lost our best player and had 5 points from the first 6 games.  Teams are just not going to allow space in behind against us anymore because the runs of Pukki and Steipermann/Buendia feeding the ball through to him is too dangerous, Bristol City did and we made them pay.  Most teams are going to just sit back and counter.

This^^^ 

This season could never be a replica of last time because we are totally known for the way we play.  The joy is that we are still top of the table despite that and there is potential for us to improve still further as we get players back fit. 

7 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Anyone know what Emi was having a verbal spat with Farke about towards the end of the game? I didn't actually see that incident, just read that it happened 

From what I could see on Ifollow, Farke was worried that Emi would get a second card & hence a red.

He was subbed soon after.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

This^^^ 

This season could never be a replica of last time because we are totally known for the way we play.  The joy is that we are still top of the table despite that and there is potential for us to improve still further as we get players back fit. 

Yeah, I also forgot to factor in the awful end to last season.  As we've seen so many times in the Championship, just dropping down from the Premier League doesn't instantly repair confidence.  I always thought that everything up to Christmas would be about staying in touch at the top and slowing repairing the confidence of the players, both in themselves and the way we play.  I'm very pleasantly surprised we sit top of the heap right now.

Just now, SteveN8458 said:

From what I could see on Ifollow, Farke was worried that Emi would get a second card & hence a red.

He'd also just committed another stupid foul on the edge of the box

It is true that we’ve not really got out of third gear much his season, but grinding out results in this relentless weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek run of games is/was more important than anything.

Having teams play 9 games (nigh-on 20% of a league season) in just 28 days from 21 Nov to 19 Dec (after a set of 3 internationals for some) was always asking a lot for players of all teams.  
That we’ve got through the first 6 of those with 13 pts despite lots of injuries is credit to the team.  We might not be blowing sides away but you don’t always need to.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Did any team ever win anything without a bit of luck? Perhaps we will have a bit more luck on Saturday and actually have a ref that knows the rules and has 20/20 vision.

I’m not an advocate of VAR but we could probably benefit from it in the Championship with the standard of reffing we have seen recently.

If we want to moan about refs as a club then follow up on last nights game!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Ahh... Classic Emi really! Didn't want to come off! I didn't see that bit on ifollow for some reason. But when he came off, Farke gave him a bit of a hug and all seemed fine. 

There's lots of luck involved in football. Thousands of little bits of luck - good or bad - dictate the outcome of a match. The trick is to give yourself the best chance of benefiting from those slices of luck by (for example) having more possession of the ball, keeping it closer to the opposition goal and having more shots etc.. If we had lost that game then it would have been incredibly unlucky given the overall balance in play; a bit like the Derby game which we dominated, missed a penalty and then lost to a late freekick.

Don't understand the criticism of Emi. I thought he was the only Norwich player on the pitch who showed plenty of drive and enthusiasm. Yes he is losing a fair amount of possession but he is at least trying to make things happen. Lets be honest this is a very poor Championship league this season and we are top purely by being steady and pretty average. I do agree that when he starts getting wound up its the captain's duty to sort him out - if he can !!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

As the old saying goes,  'we make our own luck'.   The harder we work and the more shots on target we have, the luckier we get'......

18 minutes ago, vos said:

Don't understand the criticism of Emi. I thought he was the only Norwich player on the pitch who showed plenty of drive and enthusiasm. Yes he is losing a fair amount of possession but he is at least trying to make things happen. Lets be honest this is a very poor Championship league this season and we are top purely by being steady and pretty average. I do agree that when he starts getting wound up its the captain's duty to sort him out - if he can !!!

hes also being marked tightly as we dont have all our other threats back yet.   

he suddenly had more space once Cantwell came on as they had to respect the extra threat.  

This will get better as we have more options (Dowell for example, hopefully Hernandez)

The ref missed a clear "handball" by one of their defenders so should have been a penalty - we were unlucky !

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:21, Petriix said:

There's lots of luck involved in football. Thousands of little bits of luck - good or bad - dictate the outcome of a match. The trick is to give yourself the best chance of benefiting from those slices of luck by (for example) having more possession of the ball, keeping it closer to the opposition goal and having more shots etc.. If we had lost that game then it would have been incredibly unlucky given the overall balance in play; a bit like the Derby game which we dominated, missed a penalty and then lost to a late freekick.

It’s probably me, but it feels like we keep it far too close our own goal sometimes. The frequent passing to and from the keeper never sits well with me.