Petriix

Taking the knee

29 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Doesn’t matter.

The players are doing this to highlight discrimination towards black people, which is correct.

They are not doing it for political reasons.

But you already know this 👍

P.s your user name says it all. Make sure you have a coffee this morning, it’ll help stop you falling off the edge of the earth.

To reiterate, much as some might wish to pretend otherwise, “taking a knee” is perceived as being inextricably linked with BLM.  Many feel it is inappropriate for football to overtly symbolise its support for that particular extremist movement, particularly when there are already highly successful and non-divisive anti-racism campaigns in place such as “Kick it out”.

Here's another great article exploring the issue. The author (a Millwall fan), like all reasonable people, agrees that booing an anti-racist gesture is a racist act.

...those involved must realise that booing – not ignoring, but actually pissing all over – a gesture that expresses anti-racism is by its nature a racist act.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/07/taking-a-knee-is-a-sign-to-minorities-they-are-welcome-at-football-grounds

16 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

To reiterate, much as some might wish to pretend otherwise, “taking a knee” is perceived as being inextricably linked with BLM.  Many feel it is inappropriate for football to overtly symbolise its support for that particular extremist movement, particularly when there are already highly successful and non-divisive anti-racism campaigns in place such as “Kick it out”.

Many people use the well-known tactic of pretending that you are saying something different to what you are actually saying in order to give the appearance of defeating your point. It's called a straw man argument. 

By pretending that making a simple gesture for racial equality is somehow linked to a sinister undercurrent, racists are attempting to silence and undermine the call for change.

• Like 2

We have one thread on the off topic page and one thread on the Norwich City main discussion page talking about the same thing. Just pointing that out to everyone.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Many people use the well-known tactic of pretending that you are saying something different to what you are actually saying in order to give the appearance of defeating your point. It's called a straw man argument. 

By pretending that making a simple gesture for racial equality is somehow linked to a sinister undercurrent, racists are attempting to silence and undermine the call for change.

This. Precisely. 👍

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

We have one thread on the off topic page and one thread on the Norwich City main discussion page talking about the same thing. Just pointing that out to everyone.

You forgot to mention posters that are bouncing between both threads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Doesn’t matter.

The players are doing this to highlight discrimination towards black people, which is correct.

They are not doing it for political reasons.

But you already know this 👍

P.s your user name says it all. Make sure you have a coffee this morning, it’ll help stop you falling off the edge of the earth.

They are doing it to preserve their careers and protect their families from abuse.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Ahhhh.... that old chestnut.

That is called attempted 'reverse psychology' and is as transparent as hell.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

You forgot to mention posters that are bouncing between both threads.

I’m thinking this isn’t about taking the knee and more about forcing politics onto the main board to ruin it basically 🤔 

• Like 1

I'd like to ask all those who want to see footballers continue taking the knee whether they have introduced taking the knee each morning in their places of work?

• Like 4

I’m thinking this isn’t about taking the knee and more about forcing politics onto the main board to ruin it basically 🤔 

I don’t think it will be too much longer before this thread is pulled 

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

But then they’ll start another one

its an “issue” now.

Pete moves or trims this thread they’ll call him a racist. It’s how they work. That’s why the containment board was set up 

Edited by The Real Buh

22 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'd like to ask all those who want to see footballers continue taking the knee whether they have introduced taking the knee each morning in their places of work?

Yeah I do. I even raise my fist as I am super militant. Then a quick cup of joe and a peruse of the Morning Star. 

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Hadn't noticed . Are you a message board community  officer...ie not real Board Police, but a wannabe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hadn't noticed . Are you a message board community  officer...ie not real Board Police, but a wannabe?

What are you going to do about what I say on here?

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

What are you going to do about what I say on here?

Generally roll my eyes  with the repetitive nature of most of it, occasionally  titter, once I actually  laughed . Hows that for a straight  answer  to  a  straight  question. 

• Haha 1

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Generally roll my eyes  with the repetitive nature of most of it, occasionally  titter, once I actually  laughed . Hows that for a straight  answer  to  a  straight  question. Pretend officer.

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Generally roll my eyes  with the repetitive nature of most of it, occasionally  titter, once I actually  laughed . Hows that for a straight  answer  to  a  straight  question. 

Nothing then, yeah?

14 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Nothing then, yeah?

Why would I? I have no aspirations to be  forum police, or Pete's  watchpup. Good day to you sir.

43 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Why would I? I have no aspirations to be  forum police, or Pete's  watchpup. Good day to you sir.

What you are is a pu55y mate

The topic of this thread is far less tiresome that the bickering of the usual suspects that keep derailing it. Can you guys please take it to private message so you can continue your lovers tiff without the rest of us having to partake?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

The topic of this thread is far less tiresome that the bickering of the usual suspects that keep derailing it. Can you guys please take it to private message so you can continue your lovers tiff without the rest of us having to partake?

“I find it all so tiresome”

*faints*
*is wafted with fans to regain consciousness*

What you are is a pu55y mate

Because I can't be arrised to have a barney online with  you? Very good. Well done . Jog on  .

End of comms for now. Byeee x

I presume they are doing this in the champions league matches? Anyway, the PSG match has just been suspended as the players have walked off the pitch after accusations of racism towards a player from the 4th official 

7 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Peter The Deleter must be on a day off.

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

But then they’ll start another one

its an “issue” now.

Pete moves or trims this thread they’ll call him a racist. It’s how they work. That’s why the containment board was set up 

It is happening on the 'field of play' which makes it a 'football matter'.

15 minutes ago, JF said:

I presume they are doing this in the champions league matches? Anyway, the PSG match has just been suspended as the players have walked off the pitch after accusations of racism towards a player from the 4th official 

Apparently the 4th official said "Just because you're Black, it doesn't mean you deserve special treatment" and all the players walked off because... Equit.. sorry equality.

16 minutes ago, JF said:

Apparently the fourth official had an argument with the assistant manager of Istanbul, and called the ref over to send him off. When the ref asked who, the fourth official said in English 'the black guy'. 

At best naive, at worst racist. You'd think that UEFA officials would be savvy enough to avoid any references to skin colour.

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Apparently the fourth official had an argument with the assistant manager of Istanbul, and called the ref over to send him off. When the ref asked who, the fourth official said in English 'the black guy'. 

At best naive, at worst racist. You'd think that UEFA officials would be savvy enough to avoid any references to skin colour.

I'll admit to being a bit naive to this sort of situation myself.

So is referring to a person's skin when trying to reference someone out of a group racist? Is it only racist if that person is black? Ill admit, its entirely probable if there was one white guy with 4 black guys and I was asked which one I probably wouldn't hesitate saying the white guy. 

I think a lot of people would be the same without having any racist thoughts so is the comment itself racist? Of course, its upset some of the black players who heard it and they're the ones to say if its hurtful or not. If its hurtful I fully support that; but does that automatically make it racist?

• Like 3