Sign in to follow this  
USAcanary

Rick Waghorn picks an easy target...The Fans.

http://new.pinkun.com/content/columns/RickWaghorn.aspx

I do think its amusing that local sports journalists rarely address the fact that they have to keep an ongoing relationship

with players/mamagers and club insiders so the info can flow smoothly.

This involves them not being overly critical of the club even if they have inside info which would make those at the club look bad.

Maybe it would be better if all blogs and boards were shut down so we can be told what to think.

Maybe we should ban all books that are not thought of as normal (David Icke ect) even if the info is dodgy/rubbish.

Although its true that a lot of BS is written online (duh!) Its also true that it gives an anon. avenue for insiders to post true stories without fear

of retribution (Brennen to Southhampton being an example before it was public)

Also it allows a vehicle for truthful comments and opinions that would never appear in the local press for fear of losing player/management access.

Credibilty in reporting is not instant.

If somebody new says "Fowler to Norwich" the vast majority are smart enough to not give it any credibility.

Yet......... there are certain internet posters who have an excellent track record of posting info before its gone public (I won`t name them)

They have earned their credibility for posting accurate information. They obviously have an inside track.

I think most of us think the Pinkun is a very credible source of info.

We also understand that working relationships have to be maintained so some opinions and facts maybe

somewhat understated.

The fans are not as stupid as some would have us believe. They can see through spin.

I agree, USACanary, that the fans are not so stupid as people may think.  Zipper''s signature sums that up nicely.

I actually thought that old Foghorn Waghorn wrote a good ''un this week.  Interesting reading.  I appreciate what he is saying about the "citizen journalists" on this message board (and elsewhere, of course), but he misses the point of what this board is all about.

We''re not "journalists" on here; only a few posters could claim that they were.  We come on the board to chat, get the news, get the gossip, and take part in the general message board community (even if that often means starting arguments with people).  If anything we are "citizen chatters", that''s all.

Of course, Waghorn is right to point out that he is a proper journalist with proper links to the club.  Good for you, mate: keep doing your job.  We''ll keep doing ours.

Now here''s the thing:  Waghorn is obviously one of us on here.  He has a good knowledge of the things we post about and some of the posters who are on here (Wiz being the obvious example).  You could even say that he is a bit too fixated on this message board.

Waghorn: are you a lurker?  Or are you too posting under an anonymous pseudonym?  (Now that would be ironic wouldn''t it!)  I wonder which poster you are...

Hmm, let me see... Waghorn; defends the club like a lion, fixated on what goes on here, slightly condescending, but pretty sharp.  Could it really be?  Could we have uncovered the scoop of the week for the Pink ''Un Message Board?  Ladies and Gentlemen is Rick Waghorn really...

Ricky "Dicky" Waghorn ? ? ?

I agree I think he maybe Dicky/Cap''n Squat!!

The most appalling thing about this article is the timing, we have just sold our best players, no new signings have arrived, the play-offs look a million miles away and many are calling for the managers head results and performances have gone from bad to worse, the transfer window is about to close shut.  So what does RW talk about in his column, the pinkun and WOTB message boards and how he gets annoyed reading them!!

TOP SPORTS WRITER MY A**E..  with drivel like this in one of the most vital times of the season for ncfc!!

The man in thestands has got the current situation down to a tee, rick waghorn seems to rather fight personal battles....

Waghorn picks a good target, and it''s not "the fans". It''s those who post rumour like it''s fact, who post opinions on things they know sod-all about, and who have no repect for the truth - or rather no concept of the truth. If that''s not you, then there''s no reason to be upset.

I believe that the closeness that many of these so called journalists have with the club does somewhat make them side against anyone that dares to speak out.  Is it any coincidence that after issuing the ''change of manager'' statement, we have seen very little of Blowers?  Up til than, he was quoted everytime someone sneezed in the club.

[quote user="Old Boy"]Waghorn picks a good target, and it''s not "the fans". It''s those who post rumour like it''s fact, who post opinions on things they know sod-all about, and who have no repect for the truth - or rather no concept of the truth. If that''s not you, then there''s no reason to be upset.[/quote]

Yeah but it doent take Hercule Poirot to tell the difference mate......   obviously rick is having trouble with this..

Message boards are like pub talk, rumours and opinions, some people have club connections and we learn whom to trust and whom to disbeleive.  Me I no noone so as far as rumours go only post stuff that is linked to on the internet...

Anyway......MadDan is really a BINNER!

I''m a bit of a ''Sherlock Homer Simpson'' in my freetime, and I have a female contact who works in the ticket office at ''Pout at Lou Road!'' Her name''s Hannah Gramme, and she said; that MadDan is actually a season ticket holder at our rivals in ''Soofork in wot!''

I delved further into her allegation and, uncovered what I suspected all along! If you unscramble the words Mad Dan.......It actually spells ''D ADNAM!? D'' ADNAM!!  D Adnam''s is a ''Soofork'' brewing company innit!

"So there yew go Mr D Adnam - you Ipsheet insurgent! Get orfa our board!"

Who gives a toot about Rick Waghorn?..............He sits astride on the Archant/NCFC  fence so much, his ar$e crack starts at the nape of his neck! Official! ;~)  

I''m so upset - because I have no respect or concept for the truth! "Nigel Worthington ate my Hamster!"  

waghorn is entitled to his opinion as everybody else is, but this message board is posting the future and it''s one without nigel worthington.  the board and management is out of step with fan opinion on this one and so is waggers.

You are all missing the point1 The bulk of the piece revolved around the fact that this and many other boards have (over a period of time have developed in many ways. Most of the time there is humor, knowledge and passion in abundance! BUT from time to time people overstep what is decent and proper. when this happens then we seem to decend into the tawdry world of the gutter press. I.M.H.O. if  something is being written that is of a standard I would not like written about me or my family then I would not think it OK to put it into the public domain. Waghorn is right when he say''s that  people can and do say what they like on these boards even if in other walks of life it would lead to a Libel or Slander case. THAT is cowardly and has no place on a FOOTBALL platform.  

Too right city r us. Two posts have recently had to be taken down for the slanderous content.

Even poor old silly yello has to make fabrications that I am a binner. Can''t say much else, but would well remember singing my heart out when ''Bernie'' was clambering along the rafters of the old Barclay Stand, sharing a coach back with ''Lil'' after th game at Charlton in ''72 - City fans will know the significance of that event. and how much it cost to transfer from the River End to the South Stand.

But it isn''t about how much of City fan you are it''s about how much harm you can do it now appears.

Posting up lies and slander seems to be the main point of posters such as Paul Rankine. Anyone choosing to counter these lies and slurs is deemed to be Keeping the Faith. Rather odd accusation to make at a true fan. " OI you, we''re one down stop singing and start moaning can''t you "

But there is a serious point to this. The forum was a wonderful place for fans to exchange their ideas and talk about the club and the game. It would be shame if that resource was denied through the actions of a small vociferous minority.

I said was. I meant it. The forum has now become the repository of all that is wrong with open debate. The lack of responsibility and self restraint. Anyone from posters or Rick Waghorn is attacked if they as much as point this out (see above)

Why bother to justify or formulate a reasoned argument when some lie from an unreliable source will do the same job - attack the club

Perhaps we should look at who would benefit from that lose and just whose fans would delight in that loss.

[quote user="city r us"]You are all missing the point1 The bulk of the piece revolved around the fact that this and many other boards have (over a period of time have developed in many ways. Most of the time there is humor, knowledge and passion in abundance! BUT from time to time people overstep what is decent and proper. when this happens then we seem to decend into the tawdry world of the gutter press. I.M.H.O. if  something is being written that is of a standard I would not like written about me or my family then I would not think it OK to put it into the public domain. Waghorn is right when he say''s that  people can and do say what they like on these boards even if in other walks of life it would lead to a Libel or Slander case. THAT is cowardly and has no place on a FOOTBALL platform.  [/quote]

Thats the whole point he is missing.

When you have freedom of speech and thought you are going to get ideas and opinions that reasonable people do not agree with.

(This board has mods so the really offensive stuff does not apply here)

I don`t agree with Squitty Dicky walter mitty on just about anything but I defend his right to have an equal voice.

To me his piece is all about frustration.

He is frustrated that people online have the freedom to say things that he would like to say but cannot for fear of losing relationships at the club.

Lets be honest, The average internet poster has an above average IQ.  I don`t think the vast majority of people really take anything seriously written by anon posters.

I just read the column, and can''t really question too much of what is, mostly, opinion. He takes issue, as many of us on here do, with those who post unfounded rumours and allegations as being proven facts.Like many of us, he goes off-track at times..."Unless you''re 19-years-old, wear five-inch high heels and can totter

into Mercy VIP lounge on a Saturday night, there''s not too many of you

who will ever actually get up close and personal with a young Norwich

City footballer. So how do know what they''re thinking? What makes a

Ryan Jarvis tick?" Come on Rick! Are Norwich footballers so unapproachable? Quite apart from casual meetings in and around the city, there are numerous fans who come across the boys in our normal professions. Taxi drivers (for those rare occasions when the lads have had a beer - or the young''uns who''ve yet to pass their tests); barmen (I exclude myself with regards to the current squad, but have served previous players on a regular basis); not to mention the numerous partners and family of those who are employed by the club (and are often a little too keen to tell us how they''re ''in the know'').As DDIM has queried recently, "How many leaks are there at NCFC?". Admittedly, some ''club connections'' may enjoy a bit of mischievous rumour-starting, an increasingly unwise habit in these days of the internet. Surely, though, at least some of these insider tales are going to be true.I still think that LGT is being premature (not that he''s not allowed to call it as he sees it) in his dismissal of Worthy and claims of majority backin for this view. That''s an ongoing argument which is being adequately discussed elsewhere on this forum. My reason for mentioning it is to illustrate the difference between Rick and us in a more positive manner than the article does. Yes, we post opinion more frequently as fact, with little evidence to support us, but this is the perogative of message boards. Most participants accept that there is a lower burden of proof required (so long as dodgy legal ground is avoided, eh mods?) and filter their belief of what they read accordingly.LGT isn''t likely to bring down the current regime in this way, unless his assumption of broadly-based backing is accurate. If he''s wrong, then, at worst, he''s the modern day equivalent of an eccentric at ''Speakers Corner'' by Hyde park, predicting the imminent dismissal of the current government - hardly a hanging crime is it?I''m sure Rick is correct to state he gets more accurate inside information than most of us. So does the determinedly anti-Worthy Richard Balls, of ''Fan''s Eye'' fame. Read either the provocative Balls, or the conciliatory Waghorn and the message is often the same, just slanted to try and support their individual views. As long as you think you can read between the lines accurately, you''re better off relying on them for your info. For those of us who sometimes struggle to see the plain truth through the bias, it''s often just as enlightening to read this forum instead!Not much of a conclusion guys, but we like to talk about Rick on here - it''s only fair to allow his views on us to be aired also! It''s all beer off a barman''s shoes to me!

[quote user="city r us"]You are all missing the point1 The bulk of the piece revolved around the fact that this and many other boards have (over a period of time have developed in many ways. Most of the time there is humor, knowledge and passion in abundance! BUT from time to time people overstep what is decent and proper. when this happens then we seem to decend into the tawdry world of the gutter press. I.M.H.O. if  something is being written that is of a standard I would not like written about me or my family then I would not think it OK to put it into the public domain. Waghorn is right when he say''s that  people can and do say what they like on these boards even if in other walks of life it would lead to a Libel or Slander case. THAT is cowardly and has no place on a FOOTBALL platform.  [/quote] r u waghorn in disguise?!!!!   agree with you''re last sentance though rick!

I agree with many of Waghorns points and believe he tried to be balanced, but:

The Professionals anxiety was leaking out all over the script. Waghorn seems to feel denied his role.

The quoted source of Waghorns points is a man associated with the gutter press. The titles quoted have built up and knocked down individuals for decades, they have sold crap to a sheep like public and perfected the attention grabbing headline complete with pathetic puns.

If anything their methods are often emulated to get posts noticed. I''ve done it myself; I have also bought the Eastern Evening News because of the news stand billboard headline only to find it is a twist on a rather innocuous truth which wouldn''t sell a paper.

It''s a good job you don''t face the sort of moral dilemmas people like family doctors face in the world of journalism or be tied up in real red tape as opposed to libel laws which require just a little selective wording to avoid.

The press like to be the providers of our views. They have done much damage and disservice as well as good over the years and even now, in every sphere they like to print an editorial or opinions column to try and affect our views.

Most journalists live in a murky world; bottom feeding with Estate Agents and Politicians and the internet gives freedom to people to express their views and have them challenged in a truly democratic way.

There are dangers. I called Huckerby thick, got a response so played on it, exaggerated a little, got more response, some agreement and so on. A little while later other posters were calling him thick and a poster finally asked where this rumour had come from. It is possible to express a view carefully in ANY forum or media and watch it transform into accepted fact.

Rant works by constantly driving his message, others try humour or work to gain credibility. The fact is, the more articulate you are, and you don''t have to write in clever diction, the more power you have. Part of the fun of these boards is to manipulate opinion. Old 1st Wizard likes to be controversial in his headlines, he has built up a persona and plays it very well.

Me, I like to challenge and invent personas by and for people. Some play along, others like Alex harvey -Jones don''t. I can see right through every poster on here and have a mental picture of them all. I enjoy reading their views and trying to hit their soft spots. The trouble is not everyone sees it for what it is so like anything it presents dangers to the unaware.

For me these message boards are highly entertaining and I love you all.

I have probably given too much of myself away but hey ho time to return to the persona.

Forgot to add....

I can''t believe the old dissecter of all things wordy, Septic has not sent a view on this, I think he''s a journalist.

I believe he is the mild-mannered one who works for the Daily What Planet Am I On.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="city r us"]You are all missing the point1 The bulk of the piece revolved around the fact that this and many other boards have (over a period of time have developed in many ways. Most of the time there is humor, knowledge and passion in abundance! BUT from time to time people overstep what is decent and proper. when this happens then we seem to decend into the tawdry world of the gutter press. I.M.H.O. if  something is being written that is of a standard I would not like written about me or my family then I would not think it OK to put it into the public domain. Waghorn is right when he say''s that  people can and do say what they like on these boards even if in other walks of life it would lead to a Libel or Slander case. THAT is cowardly and has no place on a FOOTBALL platform.  [/quote]

r u waghorn in disguise?!!!!   agree with you''re last sentance though rick!
[/quote]

No, wish I was!! . as it is I have to work for a living!