Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

Farke as a motivator...

Something that's been missed slightly in the discussion, I think. Before this season started, I suspect most of us were all wondering anxiously how his side would react after we left the Premiership stage left with barely a whimper, seemingly with the spinal cord of our confidence absolutely torn apart, with an abbreviated pre-season and a Championship that's even more ferociously attritional than ever. 

I even wrote on here that I thought we'd start quite slowly, and after four games was thinking I was right. Then I was wrong as suddenly we went on that unbeaten run before the Luton match. In fact, most of us probably were wrong. Sure, the football hasn't been quite as pretty as some of the stuff played in the previous Championship season, and Farke's clearly found more defensive solidity, at least by our standards, but you'll not confuse us with a Warnock or Pulis team any moment soon.

Whilst Farke has his faults (and let's face it, he wouldn't be managing us if he were perfect!), one thing seems clear above everything else. He may well be the best manager for youth talent we've had in 20-30 years. He might have got us playing some of the best football in a long time. But he also may be one of the best at motivating a team and keeping the ones he needs behind him. This recovery, under the conditions where they have no crowd to roar them on, and with so many injuries, is in my opinion a splendid feat of management so far.

• Like 2

Well said.

Farke doesn’t get half the credit he deserves. A turnaround of personnel and philosophy, an unexpected promotion, a poor PL season but limited potential due to failings in the transfer market, and now an impressive start to a championship season with more to come. Little evidence of a PL hangover, more changes in personnel but the whole club and squad knows the philosophy, knows what to do when given a chance and they all want to succeed with and for him.

I said the most important piece of business at the end of last season was keeping hold of Farke. I hope he starts to get the credit he deserves.

I dont think hes a manager who throws boots around in the changing room at half time full blooded to get players psyched up and running around everywhere.

But I think he deserves enormous credit for getting the squad over the emotional turbulence of such a bad relegation last season and the losing run we ended on. That can't be easy

Long way to go I know, but the signs are that Farke is on course to do what very few managers have done before, and that’s bringing a club back up at the first attempt. That in itself would show he’s a very special manager. There were quite a few that wanted him gone immediately when that poll was done earlier this season. I shudder to think where we’d be had that have happened, but I very much doubt sitting atop of the league.