Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Vrancic

Maybe slightly influenced by our comeback victory but have we had a more creative midfielder since Ian Crook than Mario Vrancic. He may not have the legs but what a class operator 

• Like 1

He's class, but only really an option against teams that sit back in a low block. Against a more mobile attacking unit that push up, he needs two around him instead of just Skipp.

I thought he was our best player even before his assists, he just didn't have anyone to connect with; Placheta was a bit of a headless chicken, Buendia wasn't on it and I can't comment on Stiepermann without upsetting the criticism-is-worse-than-peadophilia brigade. 

But then after the changes Martin and Aarons offered something and he served them up two goals with a side of awesome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big O said:

Maybe slightly influenced by our comeback victory but have we had a more creative midfielder since Ian Crook than Mario Vrancic. He may not have the legs but what a class operator 

Doesn't have the legs?  I think that is a myth. Wasn't it he who made a last ditch perfectly timed challenge in defence to stop Sheff Wed scoring and then went on to create two goals? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's class, but only really an option against teams that sit back in a low block. Against a more mobile attacking unit that push up, he needs two around him instead of just Skipp.

Which is every team at Carrow Road.

I underestimated how important a player he has become because of that. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

Doesn't have the legs?  I think that is a myth. Wasn't it he who made a last ditch perfectly timed challenge in defence to stop Sheff Wed scoring and then went on to create two goals? 

Yep, same as the crap about Tettey not being able to play twice in a week. With Skipp growing into a midfield collosus, I think we can get away with Vrancic most games. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

To be fair to him that was a great piece of defending.

The only problem is with a 2 man midfield containing Vrancic, when a team counters we are so, so open because he's too easy to get past and doesn't have any pace to catch back up with play.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Don’t get me wrong I’m a massive fan. He obviously doesn’t have the same mobility or power of some modern day midfielders but he oozes class and such a cultured player.

I agree with some other posters, Skipp is immense how can he only be 20, what player not just physically and technically but so mature in his game sense. That foul today said it all, so aware we were in trouble and just immediately stopped it. 

He’s such a hard player to work out! Flashes of genius but some ponderous play as well argh!!!!! So hard to work out.

A luxury player but only sometimes?? I just don’t know. I am frustrated but happy with his performance but also not. It’s complex.

Mario had a purple patch in today's game but you could argue he was ineffective for the rest of it. It's great to have a player of such quality in our squad but the fact remains that once all the injuries have cleared up he won't be in the first XI.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Mario had a purple patch in today's game but you could argue he was ineffective for the rest of it. It's great to have a player of such quality in our squad but the fact remains that once all the injuries have cleared up he won't be in the first XI.

I think that's probably about right. His involvement in the two goals was absolute class but there were several occasions where Wednesday were able to stroll through our midfield.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No other player in our squad can change a game like he can, not even Buendia. Mario is so effective and influential for us, he's proved this on many occasions. It's his shirt to lose, I wouldn't bet against seeing him keep it for a while. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think that's probably about right. His involvement in the two goals was absolute class but there were several occasions where Wednesday were able to stroll through our midfield.

But on balance, the pro's outweigh the cons, as nearly always with Mario. Anyway, Mario was having a fine game before his two assists. He's an absolute baller for us, and continues to prove so many wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Il Pirata said:

No other player in our squad can change a game like he can, not even Buendia. Mario is so effective and influential for us, he's proved this on many occasions. It's his shirt to lose, I wouldn't bet against seeing him keep it for a while. 

I think he'll keep it until Rupp returns and then it becomes a toss up between Mario and Stieps as Placheta is quickly claiming his place now. Then you have Todd to return. May the best man win! A nice problem to have.

3 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

He can't do it on his own though, you need someone making the kind of runs that Martin and Aarons made for him to pick out. If they keep doing it, you know there's a good chance he'll find them!

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

He can't do it on his own though, you need someone making the kind of runs that Martin and Aarons made for him to pick out. If they keep doing it, you know there's a good chance he'll find them!

Absolutely. Mario is very intelligent footballer. Pukki, Buendia and Hernandez were so profitable last time in the championship because of Mario's football intelligence and technical ability to play perfectly weighted and precise forward balls. He really is a special player. Yes there are flaws, but there nearly always are with gifted individuals. I love his style, and love watching him play. Proper baller. 

• Like 1

This guy deserves to start every week , yeah , he has no pace and defensively is not good , but so creative and scores goals too and it's all ways nice to have a world class free kick taker on the pitch , respect super mario😁

• Like 1

I agree about its who he plays against. When Rupp is fit, he will be dropped because Rupp offers more.

I think the real reason is Skipp. I watched him closely today and he covers so much ground and is so calm. He virtually always finds a team mate and niggles at the opposition, not letting them settle. The coaches of England U21 rave about him and we are lucky to have him.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see him in at 10 ahead of Stiepermann, maybe slightly deeper lying but ahead of two CDMs.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

If you watch the clip of that situation and how the chance opened, he actually was one partially causing it himself. He was jogging down very lazily even though the gap was there. Really sloppy defending.He sort of saved his own mistake. But glad he did and did it well.

Other than that, man of match for sure. Magical passes for goals and also able to set pace to attacks in moments when we seemed bit too hasty with passes.

1 hour ago, Big O said:

Don’t get me wrong I’m a massive fan. He obviously doesn’t have the same mobility or power of some modern day midfielders but he oozes class and such a cultured player.

I agree with some other posters, Skipp is immense how can he only be 20, what player not just physically and technically but so mature in his game sense. That foul today said it all, so aware we were in trouble and just immediately stopped it. 

And good to know that if he should ever fall out of love with football he will make a top class rugby player. .....  😉 

Stat on Twitter;

Since his last minute free kick against Sheff Wed in 2018/19, Norwich City have scored 8 Championship goals at Carrow Road when Mario has been on the pitch.

Vrancic has either scored or assisted all 8 of them

• Like 1

Let’s not put Crook ans Vrancic in the same breath. 

maddison was arguably the most creative I’ve seen since him and he’s a class above vrancic. 

1 hour ago, CUSDP said:

maddison was arguably the most creative I’ve seen since him and he’s a class above vrancic. 

Yes that’s very true, he just didn’t play in a good Norwich side.

He's class, yet just actually an alternative against groups that sit in a low square. Against a more versatile assaulting unit that push up, he needs two around him rather than just Skipp.  192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf

Edited by blonko

On 05/12/2020 at 21:42, CUSDP said:

James' all round game is better, but I'd put their creativity on a par. Free kicks too.

P.S. I think Mario's heading might be better; has anyone ever seen Madders head the ball??

On 05/12/2020 at 21:12, Crabbycanary3 said:

Stat on Twitter;

Since his last minute free kick against Sheff Wed in 2018/19, Norwich City have scored 8 Championship goals at Carrow Road when Mario has been on the pitch.

Vrancic has either scored or assisted all 8 of them

That's quite a stat.