Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo

No wonder we lost, if that's what Hanley's doing...

😂

Actually, looking at that goal again, it was a really bad goal from our point of view, Aarons on his own in acres of space with two Luton players to deal with. He turned his back on the man with the ball to cover the runner leaving theman with the ball a clear sight of goal. Good finish, but caught us cold.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

😂

Actually, looking at that goal again, it was a really bad goal from our point of view, Aarons on his own in acres of space with two Luton players to deal with. He turned his back on the man with the ball to cover the runner leaving theman with the ball a clear sight of goal. Good finish, but caught us cold.

Yes i was watching it yesterday and noticed how Josh Martin was also quite close to where the player shoots from but weirdly turns his back and just jogs away from that part of the pitch as if the game has not re-started. Neither skipp or tettey go and close it down either. And then at the end of it it waqs hardly a thunderbolt or right in the top corner so i think Mcgovern should really save it also. Bad goal all round. 

45 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yes i was watching it yesterday and noticed how Josh Martin was also quite close to where the player shoots from but weirdly turns his back and just jogs away from that part of the pitch as if the game has not re-started. Neither skipp or tettey go and close it down either. And then at the end of it it waqs hardly a thunderbolt or right in the top corner so i think Mcgovern should really save it also. Bad goal all round. 

Can't blame Mcgovern for that. Perfectly placed in the corner, looping over any attempt by any goalkeeper imo. Excellent shot, but it's easier to shoot like that when there is no-one in front of you and with a clear sight of goal. Terrible goal to give away, but I expect the players will have been blasted by Farke about that. 

In our system it is normally the job of the wide midfielders to work with the fullbacks to cover the flanks. Unfortunately with Emi and Martin we lacked a bit of discipline in those areas, compounded by pushing the fullbacks higher up the pitch as we were looking to dominate the game.

In my opinion, we need to be a little bit more dynamic in allowing the centrebacks to cover those areas when we are short and then cover then central areas by having the CDMs drop into the back line. However, I'm not sure we quite have the right level of discipline to make it work. Our main defensive deficiency is that we fail to track runners from midfield.

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can't blame Mcgovern for that. Perfectly placed in the corner, looping over any attempt by any goalkeeper imo. Excellent shot, but it's easier to shoot like that when there is no-one in front of you and with a clear sight of goal. Terrible goal to give away, but I expect the players will have been blasted by Farke about that. 

I agree in the main with what you say but i think Krul would have saved that 9 times out off 10. It wasn;t powerful. It was at a good height. n;t in the top or bottom corner. The keeper should not be being beaten with that shot on a regular basis but yes the best way to have avoided it would have been to not allow the shot to come in without any pressure in the first place.