Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Get real city fans

Quite frankly I cannot believe some of the nonsense I have seen on this message board recently, posted by the whinging part of our fan base. “We start too slowly”, “ why do we pass around the back”, “no real intensity to our game”, “why doesn’t Farke use substitutes earlier” etc etc etc. Wake up whingers, this is shallow, emotionally driven drivel without substance. We are top of the league with a half fit squad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We destroyed teams in short bursts this season - Bristol city, stoke, Middlesbrough, we have several new players in the team, we haven’t had the premier league hangover most teams get! Quite frankly Farke needs a sodding medal pinned on his chest right now, regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season, so get real the whinging community in our fan base!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Being upset about losing to Luton is an understandable emotion.

Don't tell people how to feel

Only if you're completely unable to understand / comprehend context.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our performance last night was uncharacteristically bad though in fairness.

We had a stronger team on paper than last weekend against Coventry, yet the performance was much much worse. So did we play really well against Coventry given the injuries, or just really bad last night? I'm inclined to believe the latter unfortunately..

Plenty of the criticism is also pretty warranted, we lacked any tempo yesterday, struggled to play out from the back with McGovern as the starting point, and I think the argument about throwing on at least one youngster in the place of the non-existent Stiepermann has some merits...

As ever, some of the criticism goes overboard. But we were pretty **** weren't we..?

Reminded me somewhat of last season actually, plenty of possession and nice flicks / progressions, but little to no end result. And at the other end an extremely soft underbelly. 

However I expect this will change once Krul and Pukki are back in the fray, and indeed any of our senior players so we can freshen the team up somewhat.

Let's hope this performance hasn't dented our momentum / confidence too much.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

We're passionate fans, of course we're going to be upset when we lose, regardless of context. I was extremely disappointed with the performance and especially Farke's subs last night, I wanted to see more chance given to youth, and I'm not afraid to say that. Steipermann is anonymous and undeserving of a starting place if Pukki isn't on the pitch. This is a message board and people are entitled to voice their opinions, of course it's going to be negative after a loss!

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

eh?
I'd understand if your comment was aimed at the OP but cambridgeshires comment was in context.

Fans will comment if the team performance is below par. Last night was significantly below par as was the second half v Cov. yes there is mitigation and yes we are all delighted to be top of the league  and yes we all understand the injuries but we've missed an opportunity over the last two games to open up a gap and that is disappointing. You also can;t expect fans not to comment when obvious flaws in the squad come home to roost.

Our opportunity has been missed because we have a decimated squad. Not because Farke didn't bring on a couple of youth players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Eh? Because we're top of the league and have a plethora of injuries, we shouldn't be upset at losing to Luton?

Could at least one of you guys who get your knickers in a twist at even the faintest whiff of criticism of players or performances at least write us up a quick guide on how to be a football fan? I've definitely been doing it wrong all these years if getting upset at losing games that, despite all the injuries, we were favourites to win (I think bookies know a thing or two about context), isn't correct.

• Thanks 1

I was very, very frustrated last night. I can, however, discern my criticism of players versus the overall situation. You have to put a massive caveat on our performance because we are fighting one handed. You can criticise transfer policy but you can’t foresee a crisis like this. Other clubs are also experiencing situations like this so it may be a short pre-season has contributed but who knows.

I don’t accept criticism of Farke not using the young players as much. He’s got a documented track record of using youth when it’s ready and this has gained us promotion and tens of millions of pounds in transfer fees so I think those who say “just Chuck Em on and see” don’t really have any idea. They are most likely those guys who hang out on Twitter on transfer deadline day and pretend they are an agent or “in the know”. Nobody knows the capability of those kids but the Norwich staff.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

I was very, very frustrated last night. I can, however, discern my criticism of players versus the overall situation. You have to put a massive caveat on our performance because we are fighting one handed. You can criticise transfer policy but you can’t foresee a crisis like this. Other clubs are also experiencing situations like this so it may be a short pre-season has contributed but who knows.

I don’t accept criticism of Farke not using the young players as much. He’s got a documented track record of using youth when it’s ready and this has gained us promotion and tens of millions of pounds in transfer fees so I think those who say “just Chuck Em on and see” don’t really have any idea. They are most likely those guys who hang out on Twitter on transfer deadline day and pretend they are an agent or “in the know”. Nobody knows the capability of those kids but the Norwich staff.

I completely agree that last night's performance almost needs an asterisk next to it given the injury crisis.

However, that doesn't put the coaching staff beyond reproach and this almost deifying of Farke is quite entertaining to watch. For the record, I absolutely love the guy. I never jumped on the sack Farke bandwagon last season and think he's the best manager we've had in my adult life. He's done an absolutely phenomenal job with the available resources; winning the league whilst drastically slashing the wage budget is an achievement few people will ever match. And to turn around a squad that lost **** knows how many on the spin in such insipid fashion, whilst losing £50 million worth of talent, to see them sit on top of the table is incredible. If he can continue it, then it won't be too far off the 2018/19 achievement (it won't surpass it because a promotion challenge was expected this year and the league is significantly weaker than two years ago).

These achievements don't make the guy infallible, nor does it hide the fact that mistakes have been made this season, and a couple of them (lack of a better backup GK and going into the season with a single LB) were not identified with the benefit of hindsight but called out at the time.

As for the kids last night and v Coventry, I think most people were calling for a kid rather than kids, the majority thought that Omotoye could not do any worse than what was being produced on the pitch.

And that opinion has behind it; the club deigned him worth a pro contract last year, glowing reports from David Wright about his ability and work-rate, a third party youth coach (Adrian Forbes) expressing his surprise that he hadn't been used given how impressed he has been by him having watched him lately, his four goals in three games in matches again professional league teams that included a hatrick against the League Two leaders and resulted in a nomination for player of the round and the fact that at 18 with those plaudits and experiences behind him, he's at the point when he should be playing.

Against that, we have to weight, "But Farke knows best". Farke knows better than me and you and probably all the managers we've had in recent memory but he still makes mistakes. And as fans, we'll try and spot them and call them out when we think we have. Last night not putting him on when we were so utterly abject up front and had a player contributing about as much to the effort as one of the corner flags, was a mistake in my opinion.

People are more than free to disagree, but it's hilarious how crabby some people get when football fans look for reasons as to why we might have lost a game on a football fan's message board. I dread to think how they'd react if they caught me in bed with their partners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Our opportunity has been missed because we have a decimated squad. Not because Farke didn't bring on a couple of youth players.

I think a poor performance comes into the equation too but this result was always in the post. 

47 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Quite frankly I cannot believe some of the nonsense I have seen on this message board recently, posted by the whinging part of our fan base. “We start too slowly”, “ why do we pass around the back”, “no real intensity to our game”, “why doesn’t Farke use substitutes earlier” etc etc etc. Wake up whingers, this is shallow, emotionally driven drivel without substance. We are top of the league with a half fit squad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We destroyed teams in short bursts this season - Bristol city, stoke, Middlesbrough, we have several new players in the team, we haven’t had the premier league hangover most teams get! Quite frankly Farke needs a sodding medal pinned on his chest right now, regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season, so get real the whinging community in our fan base!! 

It’s not about the fact we lost, it happens in this league. No one on this forum is that naive (surely).

It’s the abysmal way this squad is in this situation in the first place. We were the worst off team last season on the injury front and already this season, we are losing one or two players a week!

Glad you see the bright side of everything, unfortunately (for you), not everyone is pleased with the current situation.

36 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Eh? Because we're top of the league and have a plethora of injuries, we shouldn't be upset at losing to Luton?

Could at least one of you guys who get your knickers in a twist at even the faintest whiff of criticism of players or performances at least write us up a quick guide on how to be a football fan? I've definitely been doing it wrong all these years if getting upset at losing games that, despite all the injuries, we were favourites to win (I think bookies know a thing or two about context), isn't correct.

Depends on if 'being upset' is because you 'expected' us to win. 

We weren't good enough last night and barely created anything but of course, I didn't expect to win and if we were favourites then I suggest that is slightly misplaced - we didn't have a recognised striker, we had a second choice goalkeeper, a midfielder at left back and a disjointed midfield. I would have been happy with a point, i'm disappointed we lost but I don't think we lost because of Farke or the players 'not trying' or whatever other rubbish might be spouted.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I think a poor performance comes into the equation too but this result was always in the post. 

Agreed we were poor but at some stage with our decimated squad I think that was inevitable.

(i) I'm delighted we are top of the league. Overall the season is going well albeit it feels at the moment like this period we are going throigh needs to be ridden out without too much more damage. 

(ii) I accept we have an injury crisis.

(iii) I think that the impact of that injury crisis has been compounded by some poor squad planning which has left us without cover at left back and with a sub standard 2nd choice keeper and generally with an inability to rest players in the full back positons.

(iv) I think the last two performances and results have been disappointing. Last night more so than Cov which was ok in the first half. i think that point (ii) above has clearly impacted on those performances but I think so has point (iii) and beyond that I think Farke's unwillingness use his subs and turn to the U23s in what is an emergency situation contributed to the loss of 2 points against Coventry and our failure to ever really look like getting back into the match last night. 

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

we didn't have a recognised striker, we had a second choice goalkeeper, a midfielder at left back

Yep, but you see these points as reasons to be philosophical about the defeat, others see them as reasons to be frustrated.

Not so much the striker thing as no one can make contingency plans for three strikers being out at the same time (though not rolling the dice with Omotoye given his rave reviews and excellent EFL Trophy form justifiably irked me and others) but the fact that we were playing a makeshift left-back and an inadequate second choice goalkeeper were possibilities highlighted ahead of the unfortunate injuries. Given the fairly significant role the GK and LB played in our defeat yesterday, I think fans who voiced their concerns at the club's choice to go with no left-back cover and McGovern as GK cover are always going to get upset/angry/critical/all of the above.

The substitutions thing I can generally admit to getting overly emotional about at the time. Sometimes he doesn't make subs and the player I wanted subbing sticks a goal in the back of the net, other times he doesn't make a sub and I'm in the privileged position of being unable to be proven wrong when I claim Vrancic coming on at half-time and Omotoye coming on earlier would have got us something out of the game.

But the lack of any LB cover and suitable GK cover was foreseeable, was mentioned at the time, could have been avoided and there is a very significant possibility that it is costing us points. Whether we're top of the league, bottom of the league or somewhere in between, that sort of a situation will always result in a section of fans venting their frustration. And when you can't get it out of your system by making a **** of yourself in the River End at Carrow Road, you make a **** of yourself on an internet forum instead. The only bonus is on the PinkUn, the responses to fans making a **** of themselves are more embarrassing than the initial act of venting.

I didn’t think we were that far off how we’ve generally been this season, where we’ve only really played well in patches. Clearly we were lacking something up front, and McGovern simply doesn’t instil confidence, but hopefully both will soon be rectified with Teemu and Tim coming back.

DF wasn’t too far off in his post match comments - we were on the wrong end of some ‘interesting’ calls, but should still be able to defend a lot better.  I did wonder why their keeper stayed on the pitch, as understood the ‘double jeopardy’ rule had been revised depending on whether an attempt was made to play the ball.  It is always tricky with a challenge from the keeper, though.  Their pen was simply awful reffing - softer (if that’s possible) than the one for PNE, had it remained 2-1 the match would have been totally different all round.

Edited by Branston Pickle

5 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

Thank you Mrs Farke

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agreed we were poor but at some stage with our decimated squad I think that was inevitable.

I starting to wonder if we need to look at why we have so many injuries. The squad is decimated as it was last season! I feel there must be reasons so many players are breaking down.

Funny thing is, after 15 games last season, Leeds had 28 points and were top.

But that shouldn't detract from any poor performance and last night was dire. Despite having a worse side, against Coventry we were good for nearly all the first half.

Last night we were good for nothing. For goodness sake lets say how it was rather than making excuses no matter our view of the club.

If anyone thought last night was good then I hate to think what they think is poor.

Brilliant. We are still top and we got away with one. But lets just be happy with that.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny thing is, after 15 games last season, Leeds had 28 points and were top.

But that shouldn't detract from any poor performance and last night was dire. Despite having a worse side, against Coventry we were good for nearly all the first half.

Last night we were good for nothing. For goodness sake lets say how it was rather than making excuses no matter our view of the club.

If anyone thought last night was good then I hate to think what they think is poor.

Brilliant. We are still top and we got away with one. But lets just be happy with that.

Totally agree, it was **** poor last night.

But plenty of valid excuses so hoping for better when the team is at full strength.

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I dread to think how they'd react if they caught me in bed with their partners.

Imagine how upset Til would be if he caught you in bed with Waveney 

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I didn’t think we were that far off how we’ve generally been this season, where we’ve only really played well in patches. Clearly we were lacking something up front, and McGovern simply doesn’t instil confidence, but hopefully both will soon be rectified with Teemu and Tim coming back.

DF wasn’t too far off in his post match comments - we were on the wrong end of some ‘interesting’ calls, but should still be able to defend a lot better.  I did wonder why their keeper stayed on the pitch, as understood the ‘double jeopardy’ rule had been revised depending on whether an attempt was made to play the ball.  It is always tricky with a challenge from the keeper, though.  Their pen was simply awful reffing - softer (if that’s possible) than the one for PNE, had it remained 2-1 the match would have been totally different all round.

Nonsense, watch the game or even the highlights again with regard to the Norwich penalty, then slow it down to a frame by frame and watch Platecha closely. He was going down before he even got to the Luton keeper and he did the same last Saturday against Coventry, winning pens in each game with clever simulation. Far from arguing the Luton keeper should have had a red card, Platecha should have got a yellow. He's got away with it twice in two games but eventually he'll get carded. I don't like seeing players cheating, Norwich should be better than that.

50 minutes ago, Spix said:

Nonsense, watch the game or even the highlights again with regard to the Norwich penalty, then slow it down to a frame by frame and watch Platecha closely. He was going down before he even got to the Luton keeper and he did the same last Saturday against Coventry, winning pens in each game with clever simulation. Far from arguing the Luton keeper should have had a red card, Platecha should have got a yellow. He's got away with it twice in two games but eventually he'll get carded. I don't like seeing players cheating, Norwich should be better than that.

It isn’t nonsense at all. Indeed, it is largely irrelevant whether there was a foul - the rights and wrongs of that are a different thing entirely.  Put simply, once it was given it was deemed a foul and had to either be a yellow or red card, the question is whether it should be red.

Good fortune has shone on us up until the Coventry game as at no time have we 'been at our best' in games so being top of the table flatters us in truth. Being so incredibly tight in the Champs we need to make sure there is no slide underway as we can quickly slip down and lose the little bit of confidence we've achieved since last season's disaster.

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Depends on if 'being upset' is because you 'expected' us to win. 

We weren't good enough last night and barely created anything but of course, I didn't expect to win and if we were favourites then I suggest that is slightly misplaced - we didn't have a recognised striker, we had a second choice goalkeeper, a midfielder at left back and a disjointed midfield. I would have been happy with a point, i'm disappointed we lost but I don't think we lost because of Farke or the players 'not trying' or whatever other rubbish might be spouted.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It isn’t nonsense at all. Indeed, it is largely irrelevant whether there was a foul - the rights and wrongs of that are a different thing entirely.  Put simply, once it was given it was deemed a foul and had to either be a yellow or red card, the question is whether it should be red.

The EFL instruction in those circumstances is a red card so if the ref saw a foul he should have gone.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Which EFL instruction, out of interest? 

The ‘let’s **** off Norwich’ one?!

Tbh DF said they were told preseason that such instances (presumably no effort to play the ball) would be red carded. Once the ref has decided it’s a foul then presumably it should follow - there wasn’t much of an effort made.  Whether or not it was a foul is a separate argument (I’d say that it was).

Edited by Branston Pickle

10 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

I was very, very frustrated last night. I can, however, discern my criticism of players versus the overall situation. You have to put a massive caveat on our performance because we are fighting one handed. You can criticise transfer policy but you can’t foresee a crisis like this

I'm seeing somewhat of an overlap in your opinion, Buh.