13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hanley has been a whisker from scoring from corners two or three times this season, so one will go in sooner or later and Zimmermann is good for a set piece goal or two.

Hate to challenge you on that but this hasn't been the case for a while.

Hanley has come close, but say out of all the corners this season I think I can think of about three chances he has had 😕

we aren't a big team really. Steepi for his height isn't great in the air. It's not pukki's game. So only really Hanley and zimbo if playing. 

sorensin looks half decent in the air tbf.

Quintilla was putting in some really good deliveries early doors from corners and we really needed to challenge them.

I remember the chants and anticipation from corners. But we have never had too much of a regular threat from these types of set pieces. Would love a centre half to score 4 or 5 thumping headers in a season.

Maybe against Reading it may be the night!

21 hours ago, sonyc said:

I wish we could break this 'spell' soon. Perhaps Jordan Hugill? He appears to find space to get on the end of crosses.

It's not worth the sacrifice. Yes, he probably is more likely to score from a corner, but he is nowhere near good enough to be playing for a team that wants to get promoted. We would lose much more than we gained by playing him.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

It's not worth the sacrifice. Yes, he probably is more likely to score from a corner, but he is nowhere near good enough to be playing for a team that wants to get promoted. We would lose much more than we gained by playing him.

Ah...but he would come on when 2 or 3 up and score a corner AtG!

I happen to agree about not being convinced yet by Jordan Hugill. Yet he hasn't had too much opportunity has he?

22 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Hate to challenge you on that but this hasn't been the case for a while.

Hanley has come close, but say out of all the corners this season I think I can think of about three chances he has had 😕

we aren't a big team really. Steepi for his height isn't great in the air. It's not pukki's game. So only really Hanley and zimbo if playing. 

sorensin looks half decent in the air tbf.

We aren't a big team but with Sorenson and Stiepermann in we're not small either.

Last couple of seasons you had two short fullbacks, Godfrey short by central defensive standards and lots of little midfielders. This current season we should be a bit more of a threat than we are really.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Ah...but he would come on when 2 or 3 up and score a corner AtG!

I happen to agree about not being convinced yet by Jordan Hugill. Yet he hasn't had too much opportunity has he?

Fair enough! You are right, he hasn't had much chance yet but my view is clouded as I live in North Yorkshire and the local team is Middlesbrough. I went to see them occasionally and a combination of seeing him a few times for 'Boro and the constant complaints from my colleagues about him being a donkey does not fill me with hope. The best thing I can say is he tries; he is not blessed with ability but he won't give up and will try his best, which, ultimately is all we can ask from him. Shame he isn't good enough as I like his attitude.

18 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Fair enough! You are right, he hasn't had much chance yet but my view is clouded as I live in North Yorkshire and the local team is Middlesbrough. I went to see them occasionally and a combination of seeing him a few times for 'Boro and the constant complaints from my colleagues about him being a donkey does not fill me with hope. The best thing I can say is he tries; he is not blessed with ability but he won't give up and will try his best, which, ultimately is all we can ask from him. Shame he isn't good enough as I like his attitude.

Indeed he does have that look about him. One thing you've mentioned which I agree with very much relates to his attitude ...its very good (as Farke stated at the weekend when he asked him if he was up to the intensity of the battle and he was immediately enthusiastic) and he gives this team something we have rarely had since Grant Holt. And Certainly not under DF. I had wondered if Adam Idah might develop.

He often takes the attention of two defenders and is a handful. As a defender I reckon he is a right pain to play against, all elbows etc. This will always create space for other very technical players in our team, with which we are blessed. 

Anyway, that is why I reckon he was a useful addition. If he could go and get even 8 goals this season he will have made a big contribution. He also appears a bit if a character like Kenny. No bad thing in a young-ish squad. 

On 05/12/2020 at 22:28, Canary Jedi said:

I was actually disappointed during the game every time we tried to get a cross in and instead ended up with a corner, because I didn’t expect the corner to come to anything.

Maybe we are better off playing the ball short instead of crossing from corners. Barcelona used to do that, playing the ball to Messi and he would then run at the penalty area. Maybe we should try that with Buendia?

Was it my imagination or was one of our corners vs Reading played short? I was distracted and missed a few seconds, then heard the commentators saying it was a well worked short corner

On 14/12/2020 at 11:01, sonyc said:

Anyway, that is why I reckon he was a useful addition. If he could go and get even 8 goals this season he will have made a big contribution. 

To match the exploits of Srbeny and Rhodes the last time we did this, Idah and Hugill will have to get 7 between them. 5 more doesn't seem outlandish.

I would argue that with our perceived defensive improvements, Pukki doesn't even need to be as imperious as he was last time to wring out the points- which is good as 9 teams out of 10 stack the defensive lines against us.

9 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

To match the exploits of Srbeny and Rhodes the last time we did this, Idah and Hugill will have to get 7 between them. 5 more doesn't seem outlandish.

I would argue that with our perceived defensive improvements, Pukki doesn't even need to be as imperious as he was last time to wring out the points- which is good as 9 teams out of 10 stack the defensive lines against us.

Still the wait goes on for a goal direct from a corner! It cannot be just me and @Branston Pickle who waits with baited breath. I wonder, but I'm sure we are now possibly getting towards 200 corners this season (say at 10 a game!). 

Worth a sweepstake I reckon with money going to the CSF. Who is going to score? Are we going to score?.... Who knows it might be someone like little Emi!

48 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Still the wait goes on for a goal direct from a corner! It cannot be just me and @Branston Pickle who waits with baited breath. I wonder, but I'm sure we are now possibly getting towards 200 corners this season (say at 10 a game!). 

Worth a sweepstake I reckon with money going to the CSF. Who is going to score? Are we going to score?.... Who knows it might be someone like little Emi!

If Emi can start clearing the first defenders head  then we’re in with a chance. The best player by a distance at Norwich, just needs to practice corners and free kicks in training. 

I think if Xavi had been playing we’d have possibly scored one by now - his delivery was far better.  I do wonder if Dowell’s will be too...recall our corners v Hudds were pretty good 

On 17/12/2020 at 09:54, sonyc said:

Just out of idle curiosity, I checked the BBC's stats for our most recent ten games and in those we were awarded a total of 57 corners, so the average and total are probably not as high as you think. It's still a bummer that we haven't scored from one of them yet, though. 

Edited by Chip20
Mis-placed my response. It went in the shaded area with the original quote.
  • Thanks 1

We definitely need the centre backs to contribute more from set-pieces. Off the top of my head it must be Reading at home a couple of seasons ago where Zimmermann scored a brilliant late header to put us 2-1 up (which caused incredible scenes by the way, such a shame Reading scored late on as that would go down as another memorable moment from recent seasons) that a centre half last scored from a set-piece as I don't think any of them did last season? Obviously it's not their primary job, but in tight games like Boxing Day's where we're really struggling to break down a compact, well-organised team, a set-piece could be our best and most effective route to goal. Last night at times we had Hugill, Zimmermann, Hanley and Gibson all in the box for corners, yet none of them ever looked like they were going to be a threat, it's something we need to improve.

Didn’t Goreham say on commentary the other day that we haven’t scored from a corner for about 38 games or something? Hanley gets on the end of a few but always seems to head it up or away from the target. Most of the time we don’t have anyone within about 5 yards of where the cross comes in.

its remarkable really how well we do despite not taking advantage of any of these kind of marginal gains but it’s one of the reasons we can grind out results at the top level because we are just not capable of keeping it at nil nil and pinching something from a set piece. 

I’d like to see us play a short corner routine rather than lumping it into the box. A few one-twos into the penalty area, more chance of getting a shot or winning a pen

• Like 1

It’s not just with corners that we offer very little threat. Attacking set pieces (unless it’s a direct hit from Mario) seem to offer very little.

I always feel a little disappointed that zimbo doesn’t get on the end of more. The last dominant centre half we had in attacking situations was probably malky mackay!

18 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Didn’t Goreham say on commentary the other day that we haven’t scored from a corner for about 38 games or something?

Someone on the same programme said we haven’t scored direct from a corner since McClean’s header against Man City.

We’ve had over 260 corners since.

Unbelievable stat.

Seem very static at corners - not much movement . Particularly late movement directly following the corner . If this was American football could use a corner coach 🙂  Despite that sure the goals will come ... starting tomorrow would work .

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Plenty of corners again tonight but barely a threat from any of them.  It’s utterly ridiculous, we’re approaching 300 since we scored from one.😕

We are pretty woeful at them. Perhaps with Quintilla back we'll look a bit more threatening again. Though I don't really see who is going to put their head on the end of even a good delivery, unless Hugill gets one in one of his 5-minute cameos.

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Plenty of corners again tonight but barely a threat from any of them.  It’s utterly ridiculous, we’re approaching 300 since we scored from one.😕

I decided to try and look away in the vain hope that I would simply have to see a replay goal. I've got to the point that I think its a waste of time.

That said, look at our general shot conversion from open play. It's really poor in this department too.

I feel sorry for Hugill - given next to no time in which to influence the game yet again tonight.  He’s better than we’ve seen but it just seems to add weight to the argument he’s not up to it.

The days of getting a shot deflected or saved and thinking ‘ok, we still have a corner’ are sadly a long-gone distant memory.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I don't get, with how we like to play, that we don't try more short corner routines. If we continue to just lob it into the box we may as well just let them have a goal kick and be done with it. 

The wait continues.

Perhaps a low hard drilled corner right into the 6 yard box could create problems if nothing else

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

The wait continues.

Perhaps a low hard drilled corner right into the 6 yard box could create problems if nothing else

Just give the opposition a goal kick. Cut out the middle man!!!! Never ever look at all a threat from corners!!!