Sign in to follow this  
marinersawan

Winter 1962-63

Please forgive me if it’s been covered before.

I’m watching a tv programme about the very cold winter of 1962-63. I googled it and it seems our third round FA cup tie with first division Blackpool was postponed eleven times. I’d read about that, but there’s a mention online I’ve not heard about that the club used a flame thrower on the pitch, sadly to no avail -the melted water just froze again. In the end we drew at home, beat them away aet...and it’s then the cup run to our record crowd against Leicester. Any football or non-football memories of that freeze? ( I was a couple of years away from being born).

We moved up from Kent to Norfolk in January '63. The family car was a Morris Oxford with split windscreen, no heater and non-stop condensation on all the windows.  

We (the children) sat on the back bench seat and had to have blankets and hot water bottles just to keep warm   It seemed as if snow drifts towered over the car most of the way. 

In the new house initially we all slept in one room with paraffin heaters and a coal fire and every other room had ice on the inside of the single-glazed windows (that was a regular feature in every further winter for our bedroom windows).  We had milk delivered to the house and by the time we took it off the doorstep the lid (and frozen cream) was several inches above the top of the bottle.

It was like the 'Beast from the East' but over 3 months.

6 minutes ago, wooster said:

We moved up from Kent to Norfolk in January '63. The family car was a Morris Oxford with split windscreen, no heater and non-stop condensation on all the windows.  

We (the children) sat on the back bench seat and had to have blankets and hot water bottles just to keep warm   It seemed as if snow drifts towered over the car most of the way. 

In the new house initially we all slept in one room with paraffin heaters and a coal fire and every other room had ice on the inside of the single-glazed windows (that was a regular feature in every further winter for our bedroom windows).  We had milk delivered to the house and by the time we took it off the doorstep the lid (and frozen cream) was several inches above the top of the bottle.

It was like the 'Beast from the East' but over 3 months.

to get an idea - White Hart Lane

White Out Lane: The Tottenham pitch is covered in a blanket of snow

My real football memory of that era was beating Stoke City 6-0 on a pitch that was just sand. If my memory is still intact it was Stanley Matthews comeback match for Stoke and they had a great side.

Beating Newcastle 5-0 in the Cup and Man City away stand out as well. And being in the crowd of 43k against Leicester was  unforgettable.

The snow was great for a while, sledging and sliding but in the end was a real pain. It just turned to ice.

Was at the Hewlett school. So cold they flooded the quadrangle & turned it into a skating rink. Health & safety would have a fit today. We finally played the 3rd round tie on Mon 4 March, the replay 2 days later, 4th round v Newcastle on 13th, Man City in the 5th on the 16th & went out to Leicester on 30th

'Twas at the start of my fishing career. The Lea below Rye House power station was the only fishable water for about 50 miles. Didn't stop me & my dad; by God it was cold though.

Went on a club trip last day of the season & marvelled at the sun shining from a clear blue sky over the now melting peaks of snow on the fields, drifts higher than the bus. Floods everywhere. Surreal & magical.

Edited by ron obvious

Anybody remember the game at Pooman Road covered in ice. Then at halftime the groundsman came out and stalled  the penalty area to be used by the binner’s. One of our fans ran onto the pitch and kicked his bucket over.

• Haha 1