Feedthewolf

And so it begins... Emi linked with Arsenal

7 minutes ago, Haus said:

Van Dijk signed for Liverpool in a January window, lots of other successful moves too.   

As long as its not panic buying it can be work out.  

That being said, I'd be gutted if we lost Emi while we are contending for promotion.  Even financially:  the 30 million or so wed get wouldnt make up for the potential loss of 150 million for getting promoted. 

We might 'lose' Emi rather than 'sell' him, if you see what I mean. If Arsenal decide they want him and they want him now, and Emi's agent decides it's time for him to move, it's just a case of taking what we can get and reluctantly moving on.

While I think a bid for Buendia we'd find acceptable is unlikely in January, we should remember Arsenal reportedly dropped £70m on Nicolas Pepe so maybe don't rule it out!

23 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

We might 'lose' Emi rather than 'sell' him, if you see what I mean. If Arsenal decide they want him and they want him now, and Emi's agent decides it's time for him to move, it's just a case of taking what we can get and reluctantly moving on.

This, I'm afraid. We're not in the driving seat on this one. 

The January window is a nightmare.

All the more reason to pile some points on the board before he goes. Can't see where any great invention is going to come from without him in the team but a fully fit and switched on Todd Cantwell would go some way to solving it and a sizeable fee in the bank should give Webber the room to go for existing quality rather than potential.

7 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

While I think a bid for Buendia we'd find acceptable is unlikely in January, we should remember Arsenal reportedly dropped £70m on Nicolas Pepe so maybe don't rule it out!

Hey if Pogba can go for £90 million and Maguire for £80 I'm sure most would see us asking £30-40 million for Emi to be quite the bargain 😉

On 01/12/2020 at 20:50, Tetteys Jig said:

was thinking of Emi when Piers Morgan was having a rant about Arsenal today, saying they should spend £100m on Grealish.

For a third of that, they could have Emi. Hope they stay away though!

You put Buendia in the same bracket as Grealish? Really? He's a really exciting player but he's nowhere near Grealish.

Edited by Spix

4 minutes ago, Spix said:

You put Buendia in the same bracket as Grealish? Really? He's a really exciting player but he's nowhere near Grealish.

It's a fair comparison given last year despite us being bottom of the table Emi was able to create almost as many chances that season as Di María and Payet.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spix said:

absolutely... I rate Grealish as well.

Grealish is 2 years older and has only really pushed on that bit more in the last season or 2. Put Emi in an attacking prem team and he'd rip it apart. I'm actually stunned he is still here. Once Arsenal or Athletico come calling its a matter of time before he's a regular for Argentina.

• Like 1

That said, it looks increasingly like we'll have normal gates back next season so any of that "Covid prices" excuse anyone tries on us can do one. £40m would be fair for Buendia. Hopefully we go up and it means only big money will even be entertained. I can see us getting our pants pulled down if we stay down and need to sell him in Summer

9 hours ago, Spix said:

I think they are very similar as players. Both very good dribblers that like to create from the bottom of the midifeld and in making the last pass. Grealish is more of a goal threat but Buendia is better defensively. Both of them have personalities that are somewhat diva like that causes some people to underrate them. Recently English football fans have started to appreciate Grealish. Buendia is a foreigner and doesnt get enough appreciation from his own fans.

He was very loved by the fans in the 18/19 season, but he had some bad moments where he acted violently. His performances got overshadowed by Pukki and his sensational season. In the PL season 19/20 Buendia was by far the best player in Norwich, however Pukki and his hot form at the start once again overshadowed him and then when things started to go bad for the club in general people weren't in the mood to praise players. Buendia sometimes displays negative body language and understandably that annoys people who wants to see their teams players fight for the badge through thick and thin. However this tendency of his in combination with the bad results means some Norwich fans dont quite realize how good he is.

It's quite laughable how some people, mostly non fans, think Cantwell is better than Buendia because he is English, has nice hairs and got some premier league goals. Buendia fights hard in midfield, holds up the ball with excellent physicality, moves it through the midfield with dribbling and nice one twos. His ability to dribble a defensive midfielder in combination with his ability to play a perfect through ball makes him an incredibly effective player. Pukki is a decent striker. He has a good shoot ofc, but overwhelmingly his best ability is making runs through the lines timed to perfection. Buendia and Pukki's connection is the essence of whatever success Norwich has had in the last two years. Of course in combination with an entire team playing nice passing possession based football.

If Buendia lands in the right club he will become a bonafide superstar. I dont think he will put up a fuss this winter window, he has flourished at this club, but if he is not sold in the summer despite good offers it is somewhat understandable if he is upset. I think he takes us up and pushes for a move after that. If Buendia lands in the right club he will become a bonafide superstar. I think Buendia belongs in one of the top 5 leagues and the Argentine national team. If we can go up and actually play football in the premier league for an entire season, he could possibly stay, but realistically he will move away in the summer or at the latest summer 2022. He has the qualities of a classic no 10. with his touch, technique and vision but also has the workrate that is required of a modern player. 

I really just love to watch Buendia. At the moment he is my favourite player in world football. There are a lot of skeptics towards him, often not based on him as a player but rather imprecise proclamations on his "attitude". I suppose that is what has prompted me to create an account here and write this ode the man 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shruk4 said:

I think they are very similar as players. Both very good dribblers that like to create from the bottom of the midifeld and in making the last pass. Grealish is more of a goal threat but Buendia is better defensively. Both of them have personalities that are somewhat diva like that causes some people to underrate them. Recently English football fans have started to appreciate Grealish. Buendia is a foreigner and doesnt get enough appreciation from his own fans.

He was very loved by the fans in the 18/19 season, but he had some bad moments where he acted violently. His performances got overshadowed by Pukki and his sensational season. In the PL season 19/20 Buendia was by far the best player in Norwich, however Pukki and his hot form at the start once again overshadowed him and then when things started to go bad for the club in general people weren't in the mood to praise players. Buendia sometimes displays negative body language and understandably that annoys people who wants to see their teams players fight for the badge through thick and thin. However this tendency of his in combination with the bad results means some Norwich fans dont quite realize how good he is.

It's quite laughable how some people, mostly non fans, think Cantwell is better than Buendia because he is English, has nice hairs and got some premier league goals. Buendia fights hard in midfield, holds up the ball with excellent physicality, moves it through the midfield with dribbling and nice one twos. His ability to dribble a defensive midfielder in combination with his ability to play a perfect through ball makes him an incredibly effective player. Pukki is a decent striker. He has a good shoot ofc, but overwhelmingly his best ability is making runs through the lines timed to perfection. Buendia and Pukki's connection is the essence of whatever success Norwich has had in the last two years. Of course in combination with an entire team playing nice passing possession based football.

If Buendia lands in the right club he will become a bonafide superstar. I dont think he will put up a fuss this winter window, he has flourished at this club, but if he is not sold in the summer despite good offers it is somewhat understandable if he is upset. I think he takes us up and pushes for a move after that. If Buendia lands in the right club he will become a bonafide superstar. I think Buendia belongs in one of the top 5 leagues and the Argentine national team. If we can go up and actually play football in the premier league for an entire season, he could possibly stay, but realistically he will move away in the summer or at the latest summer 2022. He has the qualities of a classic no 10. with his touch, technique and vision but also has the workrate that is required of a modern player. 

I really just love to watch Buendia. At the moment he is my favourite player in world football. There are a lot of skeptics towards him, often not based on him as a player but rather imprecise proclamations on his "attitude". I suppose that is what has prompted me to create an account here and write this ode the man 

Thank you for taking the time to post, Mrs. Buendia  🙂

1 hour ago, Mark .Y. said:

Thank you for taking the time to post, Mrs. Buendia  🙂

Who's  husband , if he lands at the right club could become a bonafide superstar. Shall I repeat  that , seems in vogue. 

12 hours ago, shruk4 said:

If Buendia lands in the right club he will become a bonafide superstar.

If Buendia was Buendia without Buendia's problems an unrefusable offer would have been given to the club by last January.

As it is, Buendia's performance has depended on the fitness and form of two players: Buendia and Pukki. In a more balanced team he'd have more players to pass the ball to, but also less importance as an individual. A tantrum in a top club leads to swapping places on bench with a player who is almost as good or as good in different set up.

I'd pay more for Buendia and Pukki as a package than either of them separately. Neither has shown dominating performance without the other. I don't rate Buendia higher than Pukki in relative terms. Age and prospects for development considered sure, but not here and now.

I think Buendia belongs in one of the top 5 leagues

Arguably he already plays in one.

I think if Arsenal do come calling then we will really struggle to hold onto him, I don't imagine he will be too keen on staying if he has the opportunity to go to Arsenal. I just hope that we get good money for him the 15 million being mentioned seems a bit of  a joke. 

Edited by Alex

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think if Arsenal do come calling then we will really struggle to hold onto him, I don't imagine he will be too keen on staying if he has the opportunity to go to Arsenal. I just hope that we get good money for him the 15 million being mentioned seems a bit of  a joke. 

Arsenal would be a great fit for Emi but hopefully not just yet. Hold them to ransom in January with a loan back would maybe just suffice.

The January Window is not a window for the "desperate". Arsenal are desperate and are a rich club. If we don't make money in this situation we never will !

The terms should be $50m, if Arsenal kick their heals then a lower figure plus one of their best attacking player for a certain number of years - salary paid by them !

5 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

The January Window is not a window for the "desperate". Arsenal are desperate and are a rich club. If we don't make money in this situation we never will !

The terms should be $50m, if Arsenal kick their heals then a lower figure plus one of their best attacking player for a certain number of years - salary paid by them !

Why do we want paying in Dollars? Are there tax advantages to that? 

None of our best players should be sold in January. Full stop.

On 04/12/2020 at 07:56, Capt. Pants said:

This, I'm afraid. We're not in the driving seat on this one. 

The January window is a nightmare.

This is such an odd attitude to me.

We're totally in the driving seat. January has always been a window that favours the team selling over the team buying- short period of time to negotiate, generally clubs who are buying are buying due to a short term need etc.

I'm still waiting for anyone to give an example of a team top of the championship selling a key player in January. It doesn't happen and if it does for us at anything less than a jaw dropping price it will tell us something about our priorities as a club.

It seems to me that Arsenal's hopes of winning anything for the season are already scuppered.

They would seem to have a major re-building programme on their hands.

It is becoming increasingly likely that the manager's job is under threat. They may well be planning a change.

With their season gone they are in no hurry.

For this reason they may be reluctant to buy big just yet.  

"They?" Is it an owner? A board? A conglomerate?

It makes a difference. A 'stinking richer' may be more impulsive.

On the other hand we have a million plus reasons to hang onto Buedia for all our life is worth. We know these reasons, although selling him in mid season probably won't quite be a McNally style "fate worse than death." 

Edited by BroadstairsR

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Why do we want paying in Dollars? Are there tax advantages to that? 

None of our best players should be sold in January. Full stop.

I don't want to see him leave wcork but the big clubs could realistically offer him 5-6 times what he's getting now. Buendia has a rapport with our club - I know  cos I see him fighting for us every match he steps out there with a Norwich shirt on ! (he never jogs he sprints forward and backwards). But at some stage he has to think about his family - I can relate to that !

In the prefect world - he will stay and we will be promoted. Only chance is Arsenal eyeing someone else !

16 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

I don't want to see him leave wcork but the big clubs could realistically offer him 5-6 times what he's getting now. Buendia has a rapport with our club - I know  cos I see him fighting for us every match he steps out there with a Norwich shirt on ! (he never jogs he sprints forward and backwards). But at some stage he has to think about his family - I can relate to that !

In the prefect world - he will stay and we will be promoted. Only chance is Arsenal eyeing someone else !

We know all that and a big transfer will happen eventually.

For now it's primarily a questionof timing. The right time for City. The right time for Arsenal. The right time for the player.

Perhaps that timeline is a mere six months.

His 'family' (who are in no doubt well settled) will be as aware as him that staying with a promotion winning club will reward them all with a substantial bonus.

Pair this against a step into the unknown. 

It's not just a question of jumping at the first chance of a big pay rise. There are other factors than 'agent think.' 

P.S. Has Buendia a family?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This is such an odd attitude to me.

We're totally in the driving seat. January has always been a window that favours the team selling over the team buying- short period of time to negotiate, generally clubs who are buying are buying due to a short term need etc.

I'm still waiting for anyone to give an example of a team top of the championship selling a key player in January. It doesn't happen and if it does for us at anything less than a jaw dropping price it will tell us something about our priorities as a club.

How many teams top of the championship have had a couple of real young talents kick off in the summer about moves which the club has turned down, then (theoretically) had clubs from the 'typical' top 6 of the prem put in big bids for them in January?

We're only in the driving seat if Farke feels he can get Buendia to focus for the rest of the season if we do reject bids. It's not quite as simple as you're making out.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the Arsenal fan news twitter account thats claiming 'Arsenal will look to get this one done quickly with a 15 million bid'. 

Is it arrogance or ignorance. Probably both, I think there is an arrogance to the tune of them usually getting what they want and what they perceive to be the price of a player from a 'lesser club'. The vastly more amusing side to it is the ignorance of not understanding the situation with our club. It would take them all of about 10 minutes to firstly read up on our clubs finances, then check how much we sold out defensive players in the summer when there was arguably more pressure to sell after a relegation and the cover black hole to fill and then finally go to the league table and check where we were. Oh, and also look at Emi's contract length and his recent comments of being happy here and focused on the team.

Does that mean he's not for sale? No. But it means there is about the same chance go Buendia going to Arsenal for 15 million as there is of us sending Pukki to Portman road to give them a boast for the rest of the season.

Edited by birchfest

17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We know all that and a big transfer will happen eventually.

For now it's primarily a questionof timing. The right time for City. The right time for Arsenal. The right time for the player.

Perhaps that timeline is a mere six months.

His 'family' (who are in no doubt well settled) will be as aware as him that staying with a promotion winning club will reward them all with a substantial bonus.

Pair this against a step into the unknown. 

It's not just a question of jumping at the first chance of a big pay rise. There are other factors than 'agent think.' 

P.S. Has Buendia a family?

I totally like this we have a million plus reasons to hang onto Buedia for all our life is worth. You're right if he was to receive a "mother" of all bonuses after we are promoted then it would be on our terms and time !

When I say Buendia's family it includes relatives in Argentina ! South America culture they send money to support all their extended family - they don't just abandon people like in western society !

You may be right SP but it is a massive asumption considering that not all Argentinian footballers had a Maraddona-style upbringing and are destined to become bracketed in the slumdog millionaire category. That's all a bit of a cliche tbh.

A quick glance at Wiki suggests that his upbringing was far from deprived of the ability for him to play football in a resonable setting from a very early age.

I seem to recall that it is Argos who has had the  hardest route in this respect. 

Anyhow it's irrelevant and probably should not be any of our business.

My point was that there are other factors to consider rather than chasing the biggest buck as soon as it becomes available.

Edited by BroadstairsR

On 05/12/2020 at 01:50, shruk4 said:

Well written!   Totally agree with all of this!

In the right environment, he will be a top player.    Don’t think Arsenal is the right place.

If we are to keep him, perhaps now is time for the club to show some positive intent by filling the gaps in our team.   An EPL quality Central Midfielder, back up keeper and forward and improved contract / bonus for those we’d ideally want to keep.

Buendia and Pukki are our (only) weapons. Offers would have to be huge to move either. Emi is special though and we will not keep him much longer regardless. 

Our hand may be forced on this one sadly. All you can do is get big money and hopefully delay until the summer. Arsenal would be a great move for him. 

From Emi’s (and his Agent’s) perspective ‘just’ getting promoted isn’t enough of a reason not to move. 

I’ll be delighted to be wrong. A wonderful player, almost certainly irreplaceable for Norwich. 

Parma

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

How many teams top of the championship have had a couple of real young talents kick off in the summer about moves which the club has turned down, then (theoretically) had clubs from the 'typical' top 6 of the prem put in big bids for them in January?

We're only in the driving seat if Farke feels he can get Buendia to focus for the rest of the season if we do reject bids. It's not quite as simple as you're making out.

Fulham held onto Sessengon and Leeds rejected bids from Spurs for Kalvin Phillips.

If you, or someone could give me just one example of a team top of the league selling their best player in January then I might agree. But I've asked the question multiple times and I am yet to have it answered.

• Like 1

"From Emi’s (and his Agent’s) perspective ‘just’ getting promoted isn’t enough of a reason not to move."

Nobody said it was, but it's a damn good reason for delaying that move until the Summer.