Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Player recruitment post Brexit

Big News

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1922063

The FA, Premier League and EFL have come together to agree a plan for entry requirements for overseas players post-Brexit.

EU players to need GBEPost-Brexit, clubs will not be able to sign players freely from the EU. Players from EU countries who want to play in the Premier League or EFL will be required to gain a GBE, like all other overseas players without the right to work in the UK.

The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on:

- Senior and youth international appearances
- Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
- Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes

Players accumulating the requisite amount of points will earn a GBE automatically, while players just below the threshold may be considered for a GBE by an Exceptions Panel.

Good thing we are investing into our youth then. Not such a bad thing now, and to think many want a rich saudi sugar daddy to come here and just buy a huge bunch of under foreign under 21's for us 😉

However given the issues we have with Soto and now it seems the whole permit issue will now apply to any players born in an EU country.. I can see that being a very annoying issue in the years to come, even more so given Farkes love of EU talent and all.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Big News

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1922063

The FA, Premier League and EFL have come together to agree a plan for entry requirements for overseas players post-Brexit.

EU players to need GBEPost-Brexit, clubs will not be able to sign players freely from the EU. Players from EU countries who want to play in the Premier League or EFL will be required to gain a GBE, like all other overseas players without the right to work in the UK.

The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on:

- Senior and youth international appearances
- Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
- Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes

Players accumulating the requisite amount of points will earn a GBE automatically, while players just below the threshold may be considered for a GBE by an Exceptions Panel.

This is a real game-changer. At least it appears these new rules won't be 'retrofitted' to include players who are already under contract with English clubs. I'd imagine that the likes of Placheta and Buendia would be really difficult to have signed with these criteria in play.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is a real game-changer. At least it appears these new rules won't be 'retrofitted' to include players who are already under contract with English clubs. I'd imagine that the likes of Placheta and Buendia would be really difficult to have signed with these criteria in play.

Yep surely this is not good news for us going forwards at all - nor the competitiveness of the premier league / championship.

Can the price of English players increase even more?!

Does it matter where the player was born? It reads to me as if it applies to any player signed from an EU country, so no Buendia's again.

An opportunity for homegrown talent possibly, but I suspect the bigger clubs won't be impacted so much.

38 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Obviously we don't know how many points are needed and how many points are allocated to each parameter, but Zimmermann and Hernandez may have struggled too, possibly even more than Buendia and Placheta. Idah certainly wouldn't have been able to join.

It could even lead to a situation where non-British players are completely off limits for clubs outside the Premier League, or just those from League One and below, as the sort of overseas players who join clubs outside the Premier League are seldom international players or playing for a club in a top European league.

Ultimately, it's probably a good thing for the development of young English players, but it will probably lead to the price tags of English players rising even higher due to the difficulty of being able to shop around in cheaper European markets and the fact it will be impossible to sign EU youngsters at the age of 16 and qualify them as 'homegrown'.

The nation who could lose out the most here though could be the Republic of Ireland. Nearly all of their best youngsters join English academies at 16 which can no longer happen, and even at 18 I doubt they'd get a lot of points. Either their young players who have almost exclusively joined English sides in the past will have to move to continental Europe or the national side will suffer badly as players stay in the League of Ireland. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It could even lead to a situation where non-British players are completely off limits for clubs outside the Premier League, or just those from League One and below, as the sort of overseas players who join clubs outside the Premier League are seldom international players or playing for a club in a top European league.

I'm thinking on the impact this will have on the January transfer window where players already registered are more desirable than ones you need to get a permit for. I know this drives value up, but if you can buy local.

We're in a strong position academy-wise, but the recruitment side of our model is based on plucking talent from the European lower leagues. 

I don't have time but it would be interesting to see the list of players signed by SW/DF who we wouldn't be able to sign post-Brexit.

25 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

We're in a strong position academy-wise, but the recruitment side of our model is based on plucking talent from the European lower leagues. 

I don't have time but it would be interesting to see the list of players signed by SW/DF who we wouldn't be able to sign post-Brexit.

Including Daniel himself.

Stuff the “ don’t bring Brexit into this”. Brexit (and the loss of freedom of movement) is the entire reason this problem exists. As we pointed out was very likely to be a problem in the Brexit thread months ago. Who could it have prevented us from hiring or buying if in place earlier? How about Farke and his coaches, Zimmerman, Stiepermann, Vrancic,  Buendia, Hernandez and Idah to name a few. All well and jolly for Man Utd and Liverpool of course ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Stuff the “ don’t bring Brexit into this”. Brexit (and the loss of freedom of movement) is the entire reason this problem exists. As we pointed out was very likely to be a problem in the Brexit thread months ago. Who could it have prevented us from hiring or buying if in place earlier? How about Farke and his coaches, Zimmerman, Stiepermann, Vrancic,  Buendia, Hernandez and Idah to name a few. All well and jolly for Man Utd and Liverpool of course ...

Years ago, actually.

This is just a placeholder policy for the January transfer window and will be changed again come the summer. Although is probably an indication of the direction of travel. I suspect though we will end up with a change to the way squads work and that the whole work permit system will be scrapped. Impossible to maintain the quality of the EPL and EFL with this restrictive a policy in place.

What will be interesting is how the rule will be changed to deal with when player's contracts are up for renewal. A work permit is only valid for the length of the contract, so it could be the case that once a player like Emi's contract expires no English club will be able to get him another permit. I could effectively make him pretty much worthless to English clubs.

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Idah certainly wouldn't have been able to join.

Those with Irish passports will still not require a work permit, as they have special dispensation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This is just a placeholder policy for the January transfer window and will be changed again come the summer. Although is probably an indication of the direction of travel. I suspect though we will end up with a change to the way squads work and that the whole work permit system will be scrapped. Impossible to maintain the quality of the EPL and EFL with this restrictive a policy in place.

What will be interesting is how the rule will be changed to deal with when player's contracts are up for renewal. A work permit is only valid for the length of the contract, so it could be the case that once a player like Emi's contract expires no English club will be able to get him another permit. I could effectively make him pretty much worthless to English clubs.

Those with Irish passports will still not require a work permit, as they have special dispensation.

But possibly at least some restrictions will stay in place for the EFL, being justified on the grounds that that will help the development of young English players, including those who can then be bought by EPL clubs? And with the EFL having much less clout than the EPL.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

But possibly at least some restrictions will stay in place for the EFL, being justified on the grounds that that will help the development of young English players, including those who can then be bought by EPL clubs? And with the EFL having much less clout than the EPL.

I think a unified position will be agreed - but the current system does give the EPL clubs a greater chance at securing work permits. In my view the work permit system is untenable in a post-Brexit world and squad restrictions are a much simpler way to go forward. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Years ago, actually.

One of the reasons why they obviously just want silence on the subject. “YES the s... was always going to hit the fan YES we lied & said you were wrong YES it’s now starting to hit the fan NO can’t you just shut up about it now!

• Like 1

I think you'll find that this is exactly what Brexit voters wanted - controlling immigration and ensuring that non-British people taking jobs in Britain were suitably qualified - so I don't see anyone wringing their hands and claiming that this isn't what they meant. 

Brexit was always going to impact football and change the way the model works - I can't believe that the Norwich board are not prepared for that. 

22 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

🚨🚨 DAMAGE REPORT, NOW GODDAMIT NOW!🚨🚨

7747CEF4-A4C8-4084-BC22-01C544E59935.jpeg

However bad it is now, it's only going to get worse.

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I wonder whether the SPL will be able to set their own rules then? 

Just thinking about the quality players who never play International football, including the current Arsenal manager.

Rangers signed him from the Barcelona B team, he never played for their senior team. Went from their to Arsenal.

I wonder if Scotland might have slightly laxer rules, and whether we could then have a partnership with a Scottish club?

We sign some talented 18 year old from Belgium, loan him to Ross County for two years, then apply for the work permit for England after he's done 80 games in the SPL and won a couple of U21 caps?

Just now, GenerationA47 said:

image.jpeg.f4005210d6871326aee989967a2116b3.jpeg

“Why aren’t we the Home of the Free!”

Back to your containment board. The frog is a trap and you fell into it because you are a mug. Imagine being afraid of a cartoon frog. Pathetic.

F132FAFD-FE6E-41A3-B895-52C505376586.jpeg

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I think you'll find that this is exactly what Brexit voters wanted - controlling immigration and ensuring that non-British people taking jobs in Britain were suitably qualified

Well by far the widest polling exercise, the Ashcroft poll, actually put immigration as the firm second most significant reason for leave voters choosing to vote to leave after reclaiming sovereignty. 

And that includes the right to decide who can come into the country, but also gives us the right to decide who should leave without the European Court of Justice meddling. Didn't Abu Hamza take us there several times, at a cost of tens of millions of pounds?

Its far too simplistic to claim that leave voters just wanted less immigration. Leave voters want to live in an independent and free country, where the population elects those who make our laws and enforce our laws, they want accountability, the want the British High Court to be the highest court in the land. 

Sovereignty, that's what they voted for. 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well by far the widest polling exercise, the Ashcroft poll, actually put immigration as the firm second most significant reason for leave voters choosing to vote to leave after reclaiming sovereignty. 

And that includes the right to decide who can come into the country, but also gives us the right to decide who should leave without the European Court of Justice meddling. Didn't Abu Hamza take us there several times, at a cost of tens of millions of pounds?

No, that was ECHR which isn't part of the EU.

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

This thread needs to be moved immediately before it’s too late

What begins with a B and rhymes with sh*t? 😄