He's ok obviously didn't want to interrupt his long list of consecutive apperances.  Made of iron please encourage others to stay fit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Certainly a relief! I think we got away with one a bit there, he looked like he was seriously hurt at the end of that game - don't think I've seen an impact knock leave such an impression on a player, took them about 4 minutes to walk him round the pitch!

The extra day for recovery will also help.

Let's hope that this is the case with Pukki as well, even if it means a cameo as sub if needed.

15 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Certainly a relief! I think we got away with one a bit there, he looked like he was seriously hurt at the end of that game - don't think I've seen an impact knock leave such an impression on a player, took them about 4 minutes to walk him round the pitch!

I collided with a goalpost once saving a shot whilst covering as goalkeeper. Connected with my thigh and it absolutely killed. The ref ended the game a few minutes early (we were losing badly, I was never a good goalkeeper 😁). I had to be helped to the changing room. I was fine, a bit bruised, but fine by training midweek. At the time though, I thought I had broken my leg, it was so ridiculously painful... and they scored from the rebound of the save... so utterly pointless. 

It's one thing I often find a bit ironic about football. Everyone thinks the contact bit is where the majority of injuries come from. If they are really nasty tackles they are. But in reality a number come from the way people go to ground and more are 'soft tissue', muscle, ligament and tendon injuries.

The worst injuries I have seen on a football pitch playing at amateur level were non contact. The worst physical one was against a team of students about ten years ago maybe. Their player jumped up to win a header, uncontested, because our player was running in behind. He just missed the ball, perhaps brushing his hair even.

As it went over/past him, he followed the flight of the ball with his eyes, so he started to turn in the air. The next thing we know he's a crumpled heap on the ground yelling out in pain in a way only war movies depict. It turns out his feet landed as he was still turning, studs dug in nicely and the motion broke his ankle. Just the right amount of pressure through motion and blam.

Luckily at the time my team was made up of at least 5-6 workers from the University Hospital including A&E, ICU and radiology... I wish myself and another player were able to hear what they were saying better as we approached to offer help if needed, that way we would have got that they couldn't get a pulse in his foot which quickly followed by an agreement and a countdown just in time for us to see and hear them reset it... 🤢🤮

The paramedics were rather chuffed their work had been done for them. Amazingly we finished the game but suffice to say that there was no spark left in it and it was done out of respect for their player as he wanted them to finish it.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chicken said:

The paramedics were rather chuffed their work had been done for them. Amazingly we finished the game but suffice to say that there was no spark left in it and it was done out of respect for their player as he wanted them to finish it.

Indeed, as anyone who has played in a game where a leg is broken, nobody really wants to play on. I played in a couple of games like that and I think we just jacked it. In the old days that meant waiting for an ambulance to turn up and out in the county that often took a fair chunk of time.

• Like 2

I once got a studs up boot in the thigh from a keeper at full pelt as I was through on goal. Missed the tender bits by an inch. I had a lovely boot shaped bruise with darker bits where the studs were for a couple of weeks, but funnily enough it wasn't particularly painful and I played in the following games.

• Like 1

Right!!! I once  had my right foot cut clean off by a runaway mower (A Suffolk Punch as it happens). I picked it up, tucked it down the back of my shorts, carried on and won us the game 1-0  curling in a 30 yarder with the bloodied stump. After the game I successfully stapled my foot back on with my trusty Stanley staple gun. Beat that!

Edited by horsefly
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Right!!! I once  had my right foot cut clean off by a runaway mower (A Suffolk Punch as it happens). I picked it up, tucked it down the back of my shorts, carried on and won us the game 1-0  curling in a 30 yarder with the bloodied stump. After the game I successfully stapled my foot back on with my trusty Stanley staple gun. Beat that!

You were lucky!!!!

I once had to watch an Ipswich Town game at Portman Road. 

In the middle of the 90’s as a teenage lad, I played a bit for Swanage Town and Herston FC (when I first came down here to Daaarset). I was mainly a sub as there were better more experienced grown men ahead of me, and I was just starting out. But we had a football scout for Southampton called Joe Gadston move to the seaside village and he got heavily involved with the club. He had scored a lot of goals for Exeter City as an ex player, and was also at Brentford and Wimbledon, and was very well connected. He did a lot of work with me, liked that I was ambidextrous, so could play on either wing, and was looking to get me a trial at Southampton. One season he arranged pre season friendlies with 2 Premier League clubs, QPR and West Ham, plus another team who I can’t remember, I think it was Torquay Utd or Plymouth Argyle. I got about 10 minutes against Harry Redknapp’s bunch (he was manager), and about the same against Ray Wilkins and co who were playing for QPR that day. I managed to very nearly get sent off against West Ham in the excitement of playing against a lot of well known Premier League players. Just before the start of that season I flew in with a tackle during training on the Day’s Park pitch against one of our big centre backs, and as it was out on the touch line and a raised pitch, his whole weight collapsed on my knee, snapping it back, doing significant ligament damage and I literally couldn’t run for what seemed like a year. I never played again after that, but reading these interesting stories from other posters has reminded me of that unpleasant injury, and some good times as a kid dreaming of a trial for Norwich ☺️

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You were lucky!!!!

I once had to watch an Ipswich Town game at Portman Road. 

you won!

Btw good news against Max, he really is made of stern stuff as Pete said. Honestly thought he was going to be out for months. If we can weather the storm for the next couple of weeks then we have the players to keep winning until the cavalry start to trickle back. Did I hear that Onel is also ahead of schedule as per a few of the others? Don’t wish injury on others but I’d like to see Bournemouth etc lose a couple or plenty more to obviously non career threatening injuries. I can tell you now, a few down here reckon it’s only a matter of time before they get ‘back to what’s theirs’ - I.e top spot. I honestly can’t stand Bournemouth supporters so I wouldn’t mind seeing them having to contend with what we have so far.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

'Curling in a 30 yarder with the bloodied stump' 😂 

This is a relief. When I saw him hobble off on Saturday I thought he was going to be out for months with ligament damage or a broken ankle. Sounds like it’s just a bruise 

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yeah, that but made me chuckle too, Hank - it was just the vision of it 😂

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ironically, it was the only goal I ever scored.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

Clean off?!! You were lucky! I've had worse... 

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, as anyone who has played in a game where a leg is broken, nobody really wants to play on. I played in a couple of games like that and I think we just jacked it. In the old days that meant waiting for an ambulance to turn up and out in the county that often took a fair chunk of time.

I've played in a game where a player has suffered a double leg break. Makes you go a bit green and definitely don't fancy playing on afterwards. In this particular game though the ambulance got stuck in the mud driving onto the pitches, and they had to send another one, so this poor lad was laying out on the pitch for about 50 minutes before he was on his way to hospital for surgery... so I don't suppose the option was really there to play on anyway!