Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Papa Bouba Diop

Sadly you can be a Professional athlete, training every day and in the prime of your life and yet you still have a chance of dropping dead any minute.

I mean, Papa had of course retired but point still stands. Awful to die at such an age of course, but it comes for us all. Feel for his family mind, pretty sure he was married right?

This was on Sky Sports last night and i am pretty sure they said he had been receiving treatment for a pre existing illness.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sadly you can be a Professional athlete, training every day and in the prime of your life and yet you still have a chance of dropping dead any minute.

He had been suffering from a 'long illness', so he didn't just drop dead.

However, it does go to show that anyone can suffer a serious/terminal illness at any time, regardless of how fit, rich and famous they may be. 

• Sad 1

Sad news indeed. A decent player in his pomp and part of the incredible Senegal team that tore apart the French team at the 2002 world cup. Diouf was quite some player on his day too.

Just in case as some have confused them before, this is not Pape Seydou Diop who once played for us on loan from Lens. 

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, Papa had of course retired but point still stands. Awful to die at such an age of course, but it comes for us all. Feel for his family mind, pretty sure he was married right?

Yeah, according to Wikipedia his wife was called Mama-not joking-Papa and Mama.

Has been described as a gentle giant, always seemed to play with a smile.

I really liked him as a player, was gutted to hear this news. Seem to recall him scoring a great free-kick in Fulham's 6-0 demolition job on us back in 2005, I remember leaving Craven Cottage that day thinking he'd been the best player on the park. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I really liked him as a player, was gutted to hear this news. Seem to recall him scoring a great free-kick in Fulham's 6-0 demolition job on us back in 2005, I remember leaving Craven Cottage that day thinking he'd been the best player on the park. 

Yes - I was going to post the exact same thing Wolfie. A really, really good player. RIP. 

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, a really good free kick to make it 2-0 I think, I personally remember thinking how much I hated the bloke which is a backhanded compliment to how good he was.

I remember being in high school when the 2002 world cup kicked off and having to smuggle a portable radio with headphones into class to listen to the France v Senagal game and almost getting caught due to making a startled sound when he scored the opener.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chicken said:

Just in case as some have confused them before, this is not Pape Seydou Diop who once played for us on loan from Lens. 

The were rumours at the time that Worthington confused the two, and we signed the spitty one by mistake..... 

40 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

The were rumours at the time that Worthington confused the two, and we signed the spitty one by mistake..... 

Even more inaccurate than the usual rumours then seeing as he was signed by Bruce Rioch. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Even more inaccurate than the usual rumours then seeing as he was signed by Bruce Rioch. 

And that we loaned Pape in 1999 when he was at Lens. Where as Papa was playing in Senegal or Switzerland, hard to make out which.

So it's pretty this is just BS. 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I remember being in high school when the 2002 world cup kicked off and having to smuggle a portable radio with headphones into class to listen to the France v Senagal game and almost getting caught due to making a startled sound when he scored the opener.

Wasn't it a lunch time kick off (late in Japan?), I'm sure I broke into our French class room at lunch as I knew the TV had an antenna - 4 of us watched the grainy picture on what was probably an ancient TV once we'd adjusted the antenna to just the right spot 😆.  A teacher came in to tell us off but then realised what was happening and ate his lunch with us!

I'm convinced that memory is real, so please don't ruin it for me.

3 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

Wasn't it a lunch time kick off (late in Japan?), I'm sure I broke into our French class room at lunch as I knew the TV had an antenna - 4 of us watched the grainy picture on what was probably an ancient TV once we'd adjusted the antenna to just the right spot 😆.  A teacher came in to tell us off but then realised what was happening and ate his lunch with us!

I'm convinced that memory is real, so please don't ruin it for me.

It was I think- I remember being in English class so it was middle of the day.

Google suggests it kicked off at 8:30pm local time which suggests it was about 11:30am here.