Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Worthy playing hardball over Earnshaw

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/4659660.stm

""They would have to drop the price for anything to possibly happen as we can''t afford the price they are asking."

Earnshaw cost West Brom £3m from Cardiff 18 months ago and has had two transfer requests rejected in the past month. "

We cant afford the price?! Now before everyone comes on and criticizes the club for not having any money etc it is obvious NW is trying to get the price down. Of course we can afford 3 million, we just dont want to pay it.

7.25 for Ashton or 3 for Earnshaw? Given the number of goals he has scored, in both the premier and the division one you might have to side with Earnie.

However it does mean our midfield might see him as a direct replacement for Deano and start hitting long balls up to him..

Unfortunately TC a players transfer value and fee do not reflect his playing ability - more his contact and the conditions around him.

Hence the Binners £2.5m for D Bent and our almost three times that amount for Ashton. Keene goes to Celtic for nothing and Akinbiyi is being touted for a couple of million(more or less)

My concern is have City anticipated (known of) Ashton''s departure and beensounding out of replacements well before this weekend or are we in a frantic chase round to see who is suitable/available ?

Bit odd that the anti club brigade didn''t set up such a catwalling of whinging and whining when the club ''deceived'' them over the signing of Ashton this time last year.

Signing Ashton last season was a step in the right direction.  We all knew he was quality, even when his name was first touted at the start of the 04/05 season and thats why the whinging and wailing didnt happen, but there has been alot of murky water under the bridge since then.

Now that he has gone (a step in the wrong direction) all supporters want is a quality replacement.  Same as when Francis went, but unfortunately all we got was Jarrett and Hughes, who may have been no more than ''handy'' players for their previous. Etuhu is again no more than handy, and we never replaced Helveg or Edworthy with full backs who give you confidence.

If Worthy believes that any replacement for Ashton is worth the money, then he will pay it, but I cant help worrying that we will end up with another make do. I just dont trust Worthingtons record when it comes to spending cash.

Does this also mean that I am anti-club MadDan?

[quote user="derwent"]

Signing Ashton last season was a step in the right direction.  We all knew he was quality, even when his name was first touted at the start of the 04/05 season and thats why the whinging and wailing didnt happen, but there has been alot of murky water under the bridge since then.

Now that he has gone (a step in the wrong direction) all supporters want is a quality replacement.  Same as when Francis went, but unfortunately all we got was Jarrett and Hughes, who may have been no more than ''handy'' players for their previous. Etuhu is again no more than handy, and we never replaced Helveg or Edworthy with full backs who give you confidence.

If Worthy believes that any replacement for Ashton is worth the money, then he will pay it, but I cant help worrying that we will end up with another make do. I just dont trust Worthingtons record when it comes to spending cash.

Does this also mean that I am anti-club MadDan?

[/quote]

Anti-club......  your sounding downright anti-norfolk to me buddy!!

Havent we heard this before. Hucks was going too cost too much but all of a sudden we signed him, and then last year Ashton signed when worthy said we didnt have the money. I''m not getting my hopes up, but worthy may just be playing it cool and we could all be in for a good surprise over the next 48 hours. Then again maybe not!

Make sense of this -

"I just dont trust Worthingtons record when it comes to spending cash.

Signing Ashton last season was a step in the right direction.

If Worthy believes that any replacement for Ashton is worth the money, then he will pay it

Same as when Francis went, "

A couple of points. One is who signed Francis in the first place ?

Second my comment about the whinging and whining was in relation to the gripes about the manner of the negotiations not the outcome.

The reason the waters may appear murky is because of what you lot have been dumping in them (that''s a third one I know)

Look at it this way - when was the last time a January window went by without at least one good signing? Think positive, and resist the urge to refresh pinkun.com and canaries.co.uk every two minutes!