Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Top 3 in the Championship

The 3 relegated teams are top of the Championship and two of the three promoted teams are at the bottom of the Premier League along with Sheffield United. Is the gulf between the 2 divisions getting bigger? We've just got 7 out of 9 points including 2 horrible away games and we did it with half a squad. I think the gap is bigger than it was 2 seasons ago and I have a nasty feeling that however much we spend we'll struggle to stay up if promoted. 

It’s broken. European super league required. Take your VAR and FIFA 21 and f&@£ off. You can have 9.00pm kickoff times for the fans in Singapore like you want to and we can have football back. Sounds good to me.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The 3 relegated teams are top of the Championship and two of the three promoted teams are at the bottom of the Premier League along with Sheffield United. Is the gulf between the 2 divisions getting bigger? We've just got 7 out of 9 points including 2 horrible away games and we did it with half a squad. I think the gap is bigger than it was 2 seasons ago and I have a nasty feeling that however much we spend we'll struggle to stay up if promoted. 

You beat me to it dylan - I was going to post exactly the same thing. It was absolutely obvious last season that the quality of the Premier League has skyrocketed, even in just the last few seasons. And I agree - if we get promoted again it will be incredibly difficult to stay up. 

If they don't go down the European Super League route, it's likely to be a Prem 1&2. Two divisions of say 16 or 18 Teams. In the 'hope' of spreading the wealth, of course this will only be agreed as long as the big Clubs retain control of the rules...... and the wealth.

On 29/11/2020 at 09:39, dylanisabaddog said:

Yeah, but who cares as surely being a yoyo team is far more exciting in many ways. Also, in the Champs we get far more games and can see our team more often and we don't have to suffer VAR.

• Like 1

Personally I'd welcome a Premier League 1 and 2. Especially if they made it regional with end of season playoffs like the NFL and introduced the draft system and equal money......that's the only way we will ever be able to compete.

1 hour ago, paul moy said:

Yeah, but who cares as surely being a yoyo team is far more exciting in many ways. Also, in the Champs we get far more games and can see our team more often and we don't have to suffer VAR.

The Championship stops being  fun when your stuck in it for too many seasons. 

On 29/11/2020 at 10:34, Thirsty Lizard said:

You beat me to it dylan - I was going to post exactly the same thing. It was absolutely obvious last season that the quality of the Premier League has skyrocketed, even in just the last few seasons. And I agree - if we get promoted again it will be incredibly difficult to stay up. 

Very much agree with this. You can certainly see it this season now that fans are not at grounds (especially with the absence of the 12th man phenomenon).

Bar something very special happening for a promoted team (massive investment, lucky results etc), the gap between what money can buy in terms of talent means that the gap is widening appreciably between rich and poor clubs. 

For our current team for example, should we find ourselves promoted next Spring then we would face an enormous task. Farke stated he felt we would be more prepared in that interesting interview piece (All in Yellow) but didn't say how in any depth.

Edited by sonyc

Promotion is a poison chalice as the enjoyment of the achievement is almost inevitably, in Norwich’s case, whether it is after one year or two, followed by relegation.

Take Skipp out of the side, and that will definitely happen at the end of the season, we are a weaker side than the team of 2018-19.

This time around we know that the squad is full of players not fit for the Premier League, whereas last time round we thought we had a squad of players that could potentially hold their own in the PL.

If we were to be promoted, we know we would play the same way, so we know the squad would need a massive overhaul, and we know we haven’t got the money.

Best to enjoy the highs, suffer the lows, and realise that Norwich’s best chance of ever winning anything requires relegation from the PL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unique said:

Promotion is a poison chalice as the enjoyment of the achievement is almost inevitably, in Norwich’s case, whether it is after one year or two, followed by relegation.

Take Skipp out of the side, and that will definitely happen at the end of the season, we are a weaker side than the team of 2018-19.

This time around we know that the squad is full of players not fit for the Premier League, whereas last time round we thought we had a squad of players that could potentially hold their own in the PL.

If we were to be promoted, we know we would play the same way, so we know the squad would need a massive overhaul, and we know we haven’t got the money.

Best to enjoy the highs, suffer the lows, and realise that Norwich’s best chance of ever winning anything requires relegation from the PL.

An excellent (and for me, accurate) perspective. 

Edited by sonyc

Its fun going up and down though, or would you rather be stuck in one league for ten years.    

In the last 17 seasons we have had 5 promotions and 4 relegations.

Barely a dull moment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

On 29/11/2020 at 09:39, dylanisabaddog said:

I think its a money issue as much as anything.

Transfermarkt suggests Championship spending fell off a cliff this season- a total spend of around £90m compared to over £200m for each of the previous 4 seasons. Teams have just been treading water without really improving their squads at all, so a squad like ours with good depth and proven quality at this level can really stand out.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Personally I'd welcome a Premier League 1 and 2. Especially if they made it regional with end of season playoffs like the NFL and introduced the draft system and equal money......that's the only way we will ever be able to compete.

Why at that level would we need regional? It's not like we're a large country! And how would a regional element even work?

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The Championship stops being  fun when your stuck in it for too many seasons. 

I agree. Leeds were stuck for 16 seasons but mainly due to their lack of funds after mortgaging their club to the hilt for short-term attempts at success under Ridsdale. Meanwhile, we have been a true yoyoing club while being sensible with our finances, which I'm confident will continue.  The Premier League sadly is pretty boring and predictable and I'm not unhappy to be out of it occasionally.

49 minutes ago, Grando said:

Why at that level would we need regional? It's not like we're a large country! And how would a regional element even work?

Well, maybe not regional (though a North v South thing would be quite good!) but as long as they mixed up the good and bad. Anyway, it won't happen - there isn't that kind of innovation at the FA or the EPL.

• Like 1

I like the idea of changing the format.  Youth football often uses mini leagues, say 6 teams and does 2 or three seasons a year.  Lots of very close games, more chance of winning stuff etc.  

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Its fun going up and down though, or would you rather be stuck in one league for ten years.    

In the last 17 seasons we have had 5 promotions and 4 relegations.

Barely a dull moment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

We can only blame Delia ....and Michael,can't we ?😃 😃